David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/5/21 8:51 a.m.
feature_image

Step 1: Start with a Miata.

Step 2: Go autocross.

That's pretty much been our M.O. In fact, even when autocrossing our 1992 Mazda Miata 15 years ago, that was pretty much it–pack light and go run. Here’s a photo from BITD. 

Today, it’s the same story.

We start pre-event prep with the basics: checking fluids levels, torquing lugs, and setting tire …

Read the rest of the story

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/5/21 9:23 a.m.

*whispers* zoom zoom

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
5/5/21 9:48 a.m.

Nice! How many street miles on the RT660 and how many laps done? Any tire spraying in between runs? 

David S. Wallens
5/5/21 10:14 a.m.

Good questions.

No spraying because that's extra work, no one else was doing it, and the tires didn't seem to need it. (Also, it was just one driver.) 

First event featured five 30-second runs.

Second event featured four 50-second runs.

Third event featured five 50-second runs.

All were on pavement. 

Since the car has been back on the road--and on the Falken RT660 tires--it as covered 348 miles. 

Front and rear tires currently measure between 7/32 and 8/32. They come molded at 8/32.

**Small edit: I got red-flagged during a run at Daytona, so maybe add in half a run. 

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
5/5/21 10:17 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

This is good, even though the car my RT660s are going on is definitely a half ton heavier, this gives me even more confidence that I made the right choice in tire in terms of longevity and grip. I'm doing the same "Easy Autocross Prep" with my WRX. Put stickies on, go autocrossing. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/5/21 10:20 a.m.

What did Ed Senf do 20 years ago?

David S. Wallens
5/5/21 10:27 a.m.
alfadriver said:

What did Ed Senf do 20 years ago?

Handled the head work and then tuned the Link ECU and cam gears. He's already asking what's next. 

David S. Wallens
5/5/21 10:28 a.m.

Dyno sheet from 2000 attached. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/5/21 10:33 a.m.

Great improvements! 

In terms of "progress"- how is a car like that classed now?  20 years ago, assuming that the porting and parts fit, just the engine would have put the car in CSP...

For sure, a car that is a blast to autocross.  The Answer is the answer for a reason.

David S. Wallens
5/5/21 10:39 a.m.

Back in the day, I think I mostly ran our local Street Mod class as CSP meant wide wheels, R-comps, etc. 

Today it almost fits in STR. I say "almost" because are those mirrors legal? STR allows a replacement ECU if older than 1995, so we're now legal there. I don't think the cam gears are okay for Street Touring, though. (I know I should know this, but I'm between editing right now.)

The 1.6L is outgunned for Xtreme Street, but I just like the simplified rules--same with CAM--so that's where I decided to run. Locally, looks like I'd fit into X Prepared, too, as other N/A Miatas are running there. 

Also, fresh numbers and class designations on the way, too. (Hope someone recognizes the font for the class letters, by the way.)

David S. Wallens
5/5/21 10:40 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

And, yeah, Ed's the real deal. When he finished tuning the Link, I disconnected the keypad and put it in a box. And it's been sitting in that box ever since. The engine still pulls and pulls--no bobbles, no nothing. The idle is smooth. Soon we'll get it back on the dyno just so we can compare curves. 

David S. Wallens
5/5/21 10:48 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

The car also has a Kaaz clutch-type limited-slip diff. It's very nice. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hao2QjJh4XniB7wDM7QyB9LkwSCfaHTic6dbltHtgJwleKUCDSrQD3XDYhaTg8QH