1 2
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/21/15 8:45 a.m.

Anyone bought cheap eBay steering wheels like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-Deep-Dish-Steering-Wheel-Black-Suede-Leather-White-Stitching-w-Sparco-Horn-/261582833631?hash=item3ce78d47df&vxp=mtr

Worth it or a guarantee of dead fluffy bunnies, exploding kittens and certain death?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/21/15 8:48 a.m.

https://youtu.be/SMxB4RpCDzA

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
4/21/15 8:54 a.m.

That's pretty bad. My riding mower has a stronger steering wheel than that.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/15 8:55 a.m.

Driven and Grant wheels are cheap enough that I wouldn't bother with an Ebay wheel.

Adrian_Thompson
4/21/15 8:56 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Holy sh!t, I had no idea they were really that bad. Are they all like that? Scrub that one.

P.S. he's an even fatter berkeleyer than I am! 16 Stone is 256lb's

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/21/15 9:18 a.m.

My old CRX came with a cheapie steering wheel. It flexed so much that it was like steering a horse. I replaced with a Momo. Problem solved.

Adrian_Thompson
4/21/15 9:18 a.m.
drummerfromdefleopard wrote: Driven and Grant wheels are cheap enough that I wouldn't bother with an Ebay wheel.

Grant seem to pride themselves on designing the ugliest blingtastic steering wheels possible. Wasn't familiar with Driven, I like this except for the white DRIVEN stitching on the rim. This with a plain black suede rim and the red band would be fine. I'm not trying to fake it, but I want a simple, classic 80's rally style steering wheel. Three spoke, dish, black suede that a)wont kill me b)wont drain the funds that could go to shocks.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/21/15 9:41 a.m.

What's the budget? You can absolutely get a great condition Momo for well under $200.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/15 10:10 a.m.

Not suede and no dish, but I've got a Momo Prototipo that's essentially new in the box. I bought it for $230, installed it in my 911, drove a lap around the neighborhood and decided that it's not what I wanted and removed it. I'd take $200 shipped. It has the Momo button, not a Porsche one like the one in the photo.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
4/21/15 10:33 a.m.

Yeah almost all ebay wheels are super flimsy...im all for legitimate wheels but I have a few friends running the NRG brand wheel ($150ish) and they are sturdy. But at that price you could wait it out and find a used nardi, momo, or whatever

Woody
4/21/15 10:34 a.m.

Grant wheels are E36 M3. Not The E36 M3, just E36 M3. I've removed three of them and thrown them away.

Woody
4/21/15 10:35 a.m.

You will never be disappointed by buying a quality steering wheel.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
4/21/15 10:36 a.m.
Woody wrote: Grant wheels are E36 M3. Not *The* E36 M3, just E36 M3. I've removed three of them and thrown them away.

I had one a while ago that was fine. Nothing special, but fine.

Woody
4/21/15 10:50 a.m.

More specifically, Grant horn button stuff is garbage.

Adrian_Thompson
4/21/15 11:04 a.m.
Woody wrote: Not suede and no dish, but I've got a Momo Prototipo that's essentially new in the box. I bought it for $230, installed it in my 911, drove a lap around the neighborhood and decided that it's not what I wanted and removed it. I'd take $200 shipped. It has the Momo button, not a Porsche one like the one in the photo.

Tempting. What is the diameter

Woody
4/21/15 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

350mm.

I can ship it this afternoon if you're interested.

Woody
4/21/15 11:30 a.m.

Here's how my brain works:

Adrian_Thompson says:

"Hey, I need a nice steering wheel."

I say:

"Hey, I have a nice steering wheel that I'm not using."

Adrian_Thompson says:

"Hmmm, that's interesting..."

I think:

"Maybe I should keep it, just in case I ever buy an old sports car that needs a nice steering wheel."

I think:

"I have the day off today. I wonder if there are any nice Porsche 944s on Craigslist..."

I think:

"I wonder if anyone would want to trade a nice 944 for my Miata..."

I think:

"Damn you, Adrian_Thompson..."

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/21/15 11:44 a.m.

I have a Prototipo in my Miata. Love it.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
4/21/15 11:46 a.m.

well the momo prototipo in silver is the greatest steering wheel ever made. everyone knows that.

i have one on the shelf and i kinda want to throw it in my 86 F150

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/15 12:29 p.m.

I find that the butterzone in terms of cost vs. quality is to go with the cheap but recognizable brands like Grant, NRG, Driven...not no-name/fake eBay junk, and not the high-dollar brand names that make your butt pucker either

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/21/15 12:41 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: https://youtu.be/SMxB4RpCDzA

That just made my day much better watching that.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UltraDork
4/21/15 1:04 p.m.

Those ebay wheels are still 10 times stronger than the stuff that came on british cars in the 50's and 60's

Ever pushed on a series one E type steering wheel? You can deflect them 2 inches with a little pressure from your index finger. The wood rims are always cracked because they are so soft.

photo steeringwheel2.jpg

That wasn't even the banjo style which is much, MUCH worse

Folks raced with them, people daily drove with them. I install wet noodle repops from moss motors all the time and cringe when I do but people seem to love them

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/15 1:07 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Of course reading your thought process makes me think:

I've got a 944 Turbo that I'd like to trade for a Miata

I wonder what the deal is with Woody's Miata?

How close is he?

click....click

dammit.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/21/15 1:28 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

I'd trade you the shell of SFO's blue n/a for your 944T.....I doubt he'd be too upset.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/21/15 1:33 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to turboswede: I'd trade you the shell of SFO's blue n/a for your 944T.....I doubt he'd be too upset.

I'd be upset if i had to build a 944, yes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yNzv8cnA2bf9ug8CNpamRTVHL4MTFteZSeovFeay05fsOncLoNkp4EzH6LoXY02J