1 2 3
KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
1/31/20 9:43 a.m.

In reply to RacingComputers :

Jeebus, I had a senior moment there.  My email is with yahoo not google.  I swear my brain is turning to mush about things like that.  Sorry.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/31/20 9:57 a.m.

Tried again

RacingComputers
1/31/20 10:21 a.m.

Thanks 

_
_ Dork
1/31/20 11:21 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

this place is the best miata site..  miata.net is ummm.. wow..  lots of people arguing about vented and unvented batteries and silly things that are inconsequential..

Couldn't agree more. I've posted about 200 times over there. I'm really done. The moderators are either incoherent or misinformed. Possibly old dudes that don't know the actual definition of the term "trolling"

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
1/31/20 11:26 a.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

I had a senior moment there.  My email is with yahoo not google.

Everyone assumed you have nothing but senior moments by the use of the yahoo email address. ;) (j/k!)

I don't use a yahoo email address, I retired a hotmail one a few years ago, but I had a shock a bit before that when a millenial joked about how you can tell someone is pretty old if they use two spaces after a period. I looked it up and sure enough he was right, the standard had changed.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
1/31/20 11:38 a.m.
_ said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

this place is the best miata site..  miata.net is ummm.. wow..  lots of people arguing about vented and unvented batteries and silly things that are inconsequential..

Couldn't agree more. I've posted about 200 times over there. I'm really done. The moderators are either incoherent or misinformed. Possibly old dudes that don't know the actual definition of the term "trolling"

I can't believe what complete morons you guys are.   Did you even try searc....

Er....

Sorry about that, I was just on Miata.net before coming to this board...

devilcheekysurprise

RacingComputers
1/31/20 11:52 a.m.

Thanks for the laughs

Decision time

T4 2000 Camaro

06 NC Miata

I know I Know

The answer is always MIATA

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
1/31/20 11:54 a.m.

Here and Miataturbo are best but I used .net for searches a lot. I was searching for an NC when I jumped on the Boxster bandwagon. My intention was to do a swap.

_
_ Dork
1/31/20 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Hasbro :

Miataturbo has a different league of weirdos. They allow a lot of non "pc" comments that most sites don't, but they HAAAAAATE it when you ask a question about natural aspiration tuning. (Yeah I know it's a turbo site, but they need to chill on that crap)

jimlowe
jimlowe New Reader
1/31/20 12:27 p.m.

Threads: 596,335, Posts: 8,646,893, Active Members: 13,204

I’ve started to educate myself about NC Miatas, given that their excellent performance to cost ratio is beginning to make them mighty attractive.  While agreeing that there’s plentiful chaff over at Miata.net, with over a million posts in the NC section alone, just about anything you’d ever want to know about NC Miatas is there with a simple site:Miata.net search, from fixing the auto door button to any number of detailed threads on every kind of engine swap imaginable.  You don’t have to post there to reap the knowledge.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/31/20 12:36 p.m.
Snrub said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Everyone assumed you have nothing but senior moments by the use of the yahoo email address. ;) (j/k!)

I don't use a yahoo email address, I retired a hotmail one a few years ago, but I had a shock a bit before that when a millenial joked about how you can tell someone is pretty old if they use two spaces after a period. I looked it up and sure enough he was right, the standard had changed.

It's not my fault that the new so-called standard is wrong.  I usually go with 2 spaces between sentences if I am writing something that is not an email, a text or a field in a spreadsheet.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/31/20 12:37 p.m.

I've never seen an NC Miata that I liked the looks of, so for me I wouldn't own one. Not so helpful for the OP, but that's my opinion.

RacingComputers
1/31/20 1:10 p.m.

Opinions are like part of the human anatomy 

Everyone had one, but my Mrs has two

ME

RacingComputers
1/31/20 3:12 p.m.

Joined Both

Thanks

jimlowe
jimlowe New Reader
1/31/20 5:11 p.m.
RacingComputers said:

Decision time

T4 2000 Camaro

06 NC Miata

I know I Know

The answer is always MIATA

Given your two choices, and without major modifications to either, I’ll guess that the Miata will probably perform better, more reliably, and less expensively on the track, or pretty much anywhere else except for perhaps the drag strip.  As for the particular year of your candidate Miata, it’s less desirable than the significantly improved NC2 version that came out in 09, but it’s also usually much less expensive. 09’s and later have strengthened cranks and rods which allowed for a 500 rpm or so higher rev limit, and more power up top, and some folks would say to avoid 07’s due to increased numbers of rod failures.

Unless you get a 2013 or later model you’ll probably want to upgrade the shocks, and Koni (yellow or orange), Ohlins, Bilstein, and more recently Meister shocks are all popular choices.  Xida’s are under development, and should be released in the not too distant future, but they’re not out yet.  That’s what I’ve gleaned so far, plus the usual advice to not worry about the year, and to simply get the one in the best condition.

Goodwin Racing is pretty deep into NC racing and performance improvement, as is I suspect Keith here and at Flying Miata, which are two additional sources for news and information.

RacingComputers
1/31/20 5:38 p.m.

Thanks

Just looked at Goodwin's  site

RacingComputers
1/31/20 5:48 p.m.

2020 is a relearning/development year

Miata will be excellent for this our purposes

Decisions

Decisions

Decisions

jimlowe
jimlowe New Reader
1/31/20 6:27 p.m.

It would be pretty hard to go wrong with a Miata, any Miata.  I can see lots of ways to go wrong with a Camaro.

Here’s a pretty good and informative video that might help your decision: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bslB_4JIKs0

RacingComputers
1/31/20 7:34 p.m.

In reply to jimlowe :

thanks

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/31/20 8:04 p.m.

I bought a miata for the same reason. To learn. 

I barely fit in the thing. 6'1" 245.  I'm now down the 220 but man. I still don't fit well.  Racing seat is coming I think. 

The miata was chosen due to the low cost to buy, maintain and run. It has been that. 

RacingComputers
1/31/20 8:07 p.m.

That is why we are looking at a NC

Don't fit in NA or NB

RacingComputers
2/1/20 9:39 a.m.

Just Drove a Miata 2009 GT

100% stock

Decent Room for over grown driver

Has potential

YRMV

_
_ Dork
2/1/20 12:18 p.m.

Out of curiousity, what sort of electronic device are you using to type to us? 

RacingComputers
2/1/20 4:21 p.m.

IBM 3600

former520
former520 HalfDork
2/1/20 6:57 p.m.
T.J. said:
Snrub said:
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

It's not my fault that the new so-called standard is wrong.  I usually go with 2 spaces between sentences if I am writing something that is not an email, a text or a field in a spreadsheet.

This is a shocking discovery.  Not to derail this thread, but are there really people who don't double space!  Are millennials really that lazy!?!?!  I double space text messages!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E8NVQz8Wzjc0libeEggRjWTpPlLlDNt3Mum2iwlRKndwWzMp21jDVJihkwFpjQX2