1 2
chknhwk
chknhwk New Reader
10/13/08 9:20 a.m.

Like I said before we just picked up a 924S and just had it out at Mid-O for a three day event with some PCA peoples.
Some background on the car: it is a 1988 924S completely wrapped in Becks vinyl (I got yer stickers right here!). The car appears to be completely stock with the exception of a stripped interior, two Kirkeys, a decent roll bar, two harnesses and Kumho Victoracers in 205/50-15 on the stock wheels. I loaded the car up Thursday morning on a loaner trailer (my trailer needs four tires and a brake on one of the axles) and headed out. Good news, the loaner trailer was pretty decent and tracked great. The bad news is I got 10mpg towing. That's a far cry worse than the 14-16 I got the last two times I towed with my trailer. Anyway, Friday was a lapping day with the instructors various fast cars from the Advanced group so needless to say I spent most of the day with my arm out the window. Saturday and Sunday were more structured and I was allotted 1.5 hours of run time. Also running in 'A' group so again, I spent most of my time letting people by. LOL The last day, Sunday, I felt I had a decent handle on the car so I decided to grab Renn and ask him for a bit of advice on piloting a momentum car because I KNEW I was leaving a lot on the table. Turns out I was correct. LOL I picked up so much speed everywhere on the track that I literally blew the muffler off the car coming around the Keyhole. LMAO! I'd say Renn's advice worked. On the track: The car felt well balanced, I've never driven a car like this before. Previous track experience has been two mildly modded '98 Cobras and a very modded '98 SVT Contour. Like I was saying, the car was very well balanced and I found myself throwing the car into corners and grinning like a madman. The car went wherever I pointed it, the steering was awesome! I was trail braking with abandon, I could feel the rear of the car rotate, it had great feedback. It was a little unsettling at first feeling the rear of the car lift up but all I would need to do is roll on the throttle and the rear would settle and the car would point right where I wanted it to. (One instructor was following me a few times around the track and he stated the rear suspension was doing some 'funky stuff' but responded exactly as I told it to.) It really was a new experience for me and I'm a firm believer in the P-car now.
Future plans are getting the engine rebuilt for more reliability and a little more power, upgrading wheels and tires for 225's and a simple strut/spring maybe swaybar combo and driving the p-- out of it.

chknhwk
chknhwk New Reader
10/13/08 9:33 a.m.

RE: Muffler.

What is the collective thought on replacing the muffler? There was a Borla on there and it sounded great but it's pretty much useless now; it broke off where the neck attaches to the inlet. Due to some tracks having noise restrictions I DO have to put something back on. I was thinking going GRM-style with a Cherry Bomb but I wasn't sure whether I should pony up for something decent like another Borla or maybe Remus muffler. Thoughts? Fast is most important but I'd like it to sound decent while doing it.

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
10/13/08 11:10 a.m.

Doesn't Borla have a "million mile" warranty? Can you warranty replace that Borla for $0? That's the grassroots way - free!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/08 11:27 a.m.

I had the Bursch system on my 924s. It was nosier and heavier and rusted when you breath on it. The paint was useless. I put the stock cat back back on and have been very happy. If you snoop around the web you can find the cat back for $30-$50 plus shipping. I got mine for less then $70 delivered to my door for a clean used OEM cat back. The stock exhaust on these things Porsche got right. Not really worth spending the $$$ on an upgraded cat back for the NA cars.

chknhwk
chknhwk New Reader
10/13/08 1:55 p.m.
pigeon wrote: Doesn't Borla have a "million mile" warranty? Can you warranty replace that Borla for $0? That's the grassroots way - free!

Not if you'd seen the muffler... It's fairly obvious that the install may be partly to blame for the failure.

Thanks Dean, I'll definitely try out the Bursch system after that wonderful endorsement. LMAO! I'd like something light so I may just go the cherry bomb route. Berzerkeley it.

sachilles
sachilles New Reader
10/13/08 2:19 p.m.

A couple people mentioned V8 power for the 944/924. I'm guessing some folks have done that already....any links that document them....insanely curious. Something about a v8 944 seems very appealing.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/08 2:37 p.m.

All the info you could ever want:

http://www.porschehybrids.com/

If you'd rather just buy a kit or parts of a kit and install it:

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

Good luck, Stefan

sachilles
sachilles New Reader
10/13/08 3:04 p.m.

I just searched that out...... and craigslist has a few gems in my area. hmmm

carman
carman None
4/29/10 8:02 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

I have a 87 Porsche 924s. the rear wheel is shifting. i need to know what bear keeps it stable.

924guy
924guy Dork
4/29/10 9:11 p.m.

muffler- straight pipe to supertrapp, or stock set up.

"rear wheel shifting" - replace trailing arm bushings, add factory rear sway bar (rear torsion bar carrier removal may be required, and brackets welded up if it didnt come with one) or go with a weltmeister aftermarket set up (enjoy not welding) , but spendy...

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/29/10 11:31 p.m.

Oh and the Audi V6/V8 uses the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the Audi 5-cylinders, which is also the same as the Audi 4-cylinder used in the Porsche 924/924 Turbo.

Do with that information what you will ;)

BTW, supertrapp's are the suck. They are either too loud or too restrictive, usually easier to just run a good quality chambered muffler.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
4/30/10 8:55 a.m.
fiat22turbo wrote: The enjoyment is all about having essentially a clean slate that is a few wrecked 944 turbos and LS-equipped Camaro's away from being a lot of fun!

Now that's what I'm talking about!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BZWmkuE0xc1HZw0WyZCq3trgR5pk8YSQ4ikBUtqoYLBj1ojoYrFf1mK5IC4AhUL9