chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
8/22/10 8:25 a.m.

Mostly in relation to aftermarket units. I've seen a few of these advertised and it got me to wondering if it would be worth installing on my 04 X-Type. There's only one chip available I've found online and it's $1100 so I'm not considering that an option at this point. I've contact a few local tuners and they've all shied away at the thought of working with my car.
Thoughts?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
8/22/10 11:53 a.m.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
8/22/10 11:58 a.m.

Exactly

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
8/22/10 4:13 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:

Hahahaha! You suck.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
8/23/10 12:42 a.m.

Seriously.

If there's some sort of work-around to fool the computer. A proper throttle cable is probably the best form of "reprogramming" you could get.

Shawn

VanillaSky
VanillaSky HalfDork
8/23/10 1:02 a.m.

I have to vouch for ESC and traction control in some instances. A good example of this is my mother. She's long removed from her muscle power past ('70 Polara with a 440), so sometimes having an electronic nanny hold back when she's driving her Honda Oddy that has more power than it EVER should have is a good thing. Not to mention well programmed systems that can add or remove throttle to keep the vehicle going in the driver's intended direction.

My Astra is TBW. I've been thinking about one of these throttle assists for a few weeks. Since it is my wife's daily commuter, I feel that she should have every electronic nanny keeping her out of trouble. I don't like the way it feels. It makes driving a manual easier for my wife, but I grew up with cable clutch and cable throttle. I can't change the clutch, but I can improve the throttle. Which one is best? Should I just drop a few $$$ and buy from one of the GRM sponsors without much research (gotta remember, the Astra is practically UNHEARD OF in the United States). Forum support for me is nearly nil. That's where you guys step in.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
8/23/10 6:44 a.m.

Oh I admit I'd much rather have a real throttle cable, but I'm sure there are other electrical nannies that would need to be changed to keep from getting trouble codes. I might as well drop the coin for a custom tune.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/10 7:15 a.m.

I thought the astra was popular in Europe.. especially the UK

VanillaSky
VanillaSky HalfDork
8/23/10 7:36 a.m.

Parenthesis in the wrong spot. Fixed now.

I bought the car assuming a lot of parts would be shared with the other Delta chassis cars. That seems to go as far as the suspension and pretty much stop there. Not many people are in the business of doing swaps or even major suspension changes in these cars in the US.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IAlcmkB816LMLF44GFwQxVeISnj0wDRtDCmuySXud0z9AImryzOivsT9xNCusoBU