Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/17/19 10:53 a.m.

Thinking about using it on one or more projects on the back burners.

The Locost and Street rod guys are starting to use these.   I'm intrigued by the idea from several angles, including centralization of mass, complexity, aesthetics, packaging, and mess.   I'm looking at the Toyota "pump" over the Vue one, as I'm not interested in buying an aftermarket module to make it work.

I'm sure the fact that I have more than a few hoopties with leaky boxes/hoses/pumps factors into my fascination, but still...

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/17/19 11:01 a.m.

The nissan versa epas column has a default fail safe. Hook power and ground to it, and it wauts for a minute before going into limp mode at half strength assisst. At least thays what my research came up with. I have one waiting in storage for my miata for after the challenge. 

https://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/2321889-%2435-electric-power-steering-fail-safe-no-ebay-module-no-caster-issues.html#/topics/2321889?page=1

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/17/19 11:38 a.m.

The second gen Toyota Prius does the same. 

He spammed a bunch of forums wth the info back then. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/17/19 4:58 p.m.

Question or just info dump?

I am using the Vue unit in my EM Ranger. So far so good. If I have the opportunity to do another, I would be doing more research on the Toyota unit just for the potential of cutting out a failure mode.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/17/19 5:03 p.m.

I like all my threads to turn into info dumps.   So many forums have died off that it is difficult to find info on the WWW anymore.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/17/19 5:04 p.m.
Cooter said:

I like all my threads to turn into info dumps.   So many forums have died off tht it is difficult to find info on the WWW anymore.

Quoted for TRUTH

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
9/17/19 5:07 p.m.

Quoted before I could Ninja-Edit.cheeky

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
9/17/19 8:37 p.m.

After talking with Gumby about electric power steering at the 2018 CAM Challenge, we decided to do it with Jack's CAM-T Falcon wagon.   We bought a Prius unit and a Saturn unit like Gumby's using for cheap from a junkyard and decided to go with the Prius unit for simplicity as mentioned above.  Jack detailed the work on page five of his build thread and sooner or later I'm going to write a story about it for GRM.   Jack needs to update the build thread a little bit as we switched from the 2:1 steering quickener to a 1.5:1.  We did that because the steering was a bit too fast and we felt the electric unit was working a little too hard.  It's been a great setup and I plan to do it with some of my other cars, probably without the quickener.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/19 10:41 p.m.

I don't know how complicated the system is on the Abarth, but I know that hitting the sport button does more than free up more HP, it also changes the amount of electric boost the steering gets. It lessons the amount so you can feel more of what the car is doing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WbObUWidUH3xAFsRY0rP7GAwvbQmw0hoqv2OUvuOAXB2sXOUATkCQlJNf3D30d8O