Steven Cole Smith
Steven Cole Smith Contributor
1/4/19 12:14 p.m.

This article is from a past issue of the magazine. Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published, and get access to our full digital archive, by subscribing to Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Story by Steven Cole Smith • Photos as Credited

The new Americas Rallycross series is preparing to wind up its inaugural …

Read the rest of the story

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/4/19 3:21 p.m.

Once 2WD and privateers were run out of GRC I stopped caring. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/19 5:32 p.m.

VW is done with the Beetle, but can always bring a Golf.  Ford does not have a car to run in the USA (Rallycross Mustang?  I think not).  It could be interesting just to see what shows up to race against Subaru.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/6/19 6:11 p.m.

Only answering because the original post actually asked.....

I actually stage rally (and SCCA rallycross), and (on paper) even compete against some of these guys on the stages. I honestly couldn't care less about ARC (or GRC). It it were full of privateers (and 2WD cars) I'd be much more interested. While I like the concept, it's not much fun when it's just big-dollar factory-backed cars built to last about 10 minutes that aren't even "real" in some cases (VW....). But they'll never do privateers because then there's a good chance the title-sponsor factory teams would get beaten (just like happens in stage rally, which is already bad enough about sucking Subaru's d**k at ARA events). Can't have the factory sponsor teams losing to some dude in a machine he built in his garage, right?

While i'm sure the casual motorsport fan likes it better that way (just like they crowd around the factory-backed cars at any stage rally), it doesn't make for much fun or variety. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/19 10:31 p.m.

I knew because I was there and came the closest to getting hit by a car or parts as a marshal as I ever had. Not going to forget that any time soon. I even have the hat to prove it. smiley

It was good racing and I enjoyed working it but I really like rallycross and worked the prior 2 series as well that ran in the US. Problem is there just isn't a fan base. The groups have been fractioned and inconsistent. There is little amateur W2W rallyX type racing out there in NA. I expect that in a few years, we will no longer have ARX around either. 

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
1/7/19 7:01 a.m.

Nice NIN reference!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1YtxViW9y1OwEa7CedROQiakyKd8zQQzngs45tKzAdWqRZgOQCVS3DahwVr4Ouv6