Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
10/8/20 11:21 a.m.

So I'm considering rebuilding a 4AGE to put in my MR2 and I'm looking for recommendations from the hive mind.  There are of course businesses out-of-state that specialize in Formula Atlantic motors, but those that I've talked to are pricey and it would be nice find a relatively local shop.  My garage time is limited these days so I'll likely opt for some assembly services on at least the short block and look for some guidance on how to reliably reach my target CR via machine work & piston selection. 

Most machine shops around here seem to only focus on domestic V8s.  I'm not sure that's always going to matter, but a shop that can at least think in metric is a must.  

I'm also willing to drive a bit to do business with the right people.  The shop doesn't have to be in Atlanta proper, but I don't want a 6hr round trip either.

As always, thanks for your 2 cents.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/8/20 11:24 a.m.

this place seems to get decent reviews

http://koruworks.com/

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/8/20 11:38 a.m.

We've had a couple Toyota engine projects at our shop, and I'd say either Ball Engines in Lilburn or Will's Auto Machine in Chamblee would be excellent choices for a 4A-GE project.

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
10/9/20 9:24 a.m.

Thanks guys. I gave all those shops a call.  Ball Engines may be a good way to go if I can afford some assembly services.  Will's does not do any assembly (or disassembly for that matter), but their estimate was very reasonable.  Waiting to hear back from Koru Works.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/9/20 2:58 p.m.

I've had good experiences with Will's for machining, but as you founf out they don't do assembly. 

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
10/9/20 3:36 p.m.

If you're close to Atlanta you might as well go to Proline...

I kid, I kid...

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
10/12/20 7:48 a.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

I didn't get the reference, so I did a little searching. I assume you're talking about these guys.

Their cheapest "pre-owned" engine is $60K. The drag racing world is crazy y'all.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
10/12/20 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Matt B (fs) :

Yes sir, that's the one. lol.  They make some insane stuff.  Just tell them how many thousands of horsepower you want and write a check.

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
10/13/20 1:52 p.m.

I'd only expect to get 140-150hp out of the thing so I wonder if they'd charge per-horsepower? 

Now I'm the one with jokes.

For what it's worth, Koru Works declined the job in a professional way.  His honesty was appreciated.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/13/20 2:31 p.m.
Patientzero said:

In reply to Matt B (fs) :

Yes sir, that's the one. lol.  They make some insane stuff.  Just tell them how many thousands of horsepower you want and write a check.

For more of the insane suggestions, you could ask Jon Kaase if he's interested. (He might very well be if you waved enough cash... while best known for Fords, JKRE builds some import motors.)

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/13/20 2:32 p.m.

Who are the people GRM uses up in that neck of the woods?  

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/13/20 10:43 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Those SR-71 heads are almost a series unto themselves. 

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
10/15/20 12:31 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

That's what I was wondering. MadScientistMatt had some great suggestions, but I assumed there'd be more.  That's ok, I just need one good one and Ball seems like it on the surface, although I haven't seen any numbers yet.

Speaking of, anyone heard of Engine Services up in Braselton?  They're close to Road Atlanta and profess to have built some race motors.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hBXR0k4ke55BnjCjwjE2HPBn1ckz0lKmSicfhh0VyFJ5ufJ6vzD2FTFtE5DlhaT7