Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
7/19/18 8:00 a.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Story by Carl Heideman • Photos by Carl Heideman and Alan Dalman

According to the Internet, just about any engine can be swapped into just about any car on just about any weekend. Maybe it’s no …

Read the rest of the story

theonlyiceman53
theonlyiceman53
7/19/18 8:37 p.m.

I think that is an excellent choice for a swap.   If things would have been different at Leyland they could have gone with a similar engine and kept building them for at least another five years.  I built mine a little different and used an old Big Block Chevy that I had laying around for 30 years.  I should have left it laying as it blew up shortly after this picture was taken!  It really was a lot of engine for that car but it was fun while it lasted!  It now has a little 350 Chevy in it and the engine bay looks positively huge in comparison.  I've bought another Big Block but I'm in no hurry to install it as it really is a lot nicer to drive with the small block.  Bill Cosby's description of his first ride in his King Cobra pretty much sums it up.  The engine was so loud that I couldn't tell that the engine was in destruct mode.  I thought a rocker had came loose or something.  This car has a C4 front frame clip merged into the MGB tub.  It really doesn't feel very front heavy but some of that is because of the late model GTO IRS. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/18 10:12 p.m.

My steps are:

1- sawzall what i think needs cut

2- mount new engine

3- weld in some of the stuff i cut out in step 1 because i cut too much

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
7/19/18 10:39 p.m.
JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
10/31/18 1:14 p.m.

A few of us have been mounting Ford 302 motors in BMW sports sedan chassis. 

In setting up my motor mounts, I focused on getting the engine block bolt holes pretty much directly above the chassis mounting points. 

Others focused on getting the motor down and back as far as they could, and still more or less fit the tunnel.  That put the mounting bolts a few inches rearward of the chassis mounting points.

Seemed like no problem to build the brackets a little longer to bridge the gap.  But apparently the length is acting like a lever trying to jack around the mounting bolts.

In practice, the guys that took this approach have been breaking the mounting studs off their motor mounts, often enough that it's part of their periodic pre-autocross equipment check.  It really stinks to lift the motor, get a puller tap in there to pull the broken bolt out of the block, and put in another mount.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/31/18 1:42 p.m.

I wish i had reread this article before starting in the 3400 swap in the miata. 

However, had i planned better i don't think i would have done it. 

So sometimes, for some people, NOT planning and thinking ahead works better.

By the way, dont take my approach. Its a lot of unnecessary work and aggravation. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/28/20 2:06 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

I wish i had reread this article before starting in the 3400 swap in the miata. 

However, had i planned better i don't think i would have done it. 

So sometimes, for some people, NOT planning and thinking ahead works better.

By the way, dont take my approach. Its a lot of unnecessary work and aggravation. 

Amen..

Best way to understand the value of parachute design is to step out of an airplane without one.

MonacoLuke
MonacoLuke
4/10/21 9:17 p.m.

Do you mind if I translate these articles to Brazilian Portuguese?

The Whole Swap Science Series:

1. Swap Science: 14 Steps Before You Swap That Engine

2. Swap Science: How To Build Custom Engine Mounts From Scratch

3. Swap Science: How To Make Transmission Mounts

4. Swap Science: How To Get Your Clutch Setup Just Right

5. Swap Science: How To Make A Functional Gas Pedal

6. Swap Science: How To Hang An Alternator

7. Swap Science: Engine, Steering, and Exhaust Fitment

8. Swap Science: Keeping Things Cool by Building a Cooling System

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
4/11/21 11:30 a.m.

I've used the whole engine as a test buck when doing a swap. It would sure be nice to be able to buy a light buck carved out of plastic to put in there and work around, but although you can but engine block bucks from places like Summit, they ain't cheap ($4-500) and don't include all the stuff (oil pan, heads etc.) you also need to determine clearance for.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q3QXxp7qGXrKkGGaF8jG4p4alytWSpxcsRWR6JleZkgtMtGkEX8kiF5CCwChiqSx