rca
rca
3/22/17 9:26 p.m.

The May 2017 issue of GRM has a story on the Project SVT Focus. One of the items that stuck out to me is the use of an Eraser Wheel to get rid of an old stick on bra a previous owner had used. I've got the same issue on my 99 Miata.

I've not heard of an eraser wheel before. Anybody used one and have some experience to share? I've been trying different options to get the stupid bra off and nothing has worked well so far. I'm intrigued by this option, but I want to do it right.

Thanks.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
3/22/17 10:01 p.m.

Chuck in your corded drill, go slow and it'll just strip the gummy stuff right off. I use them to get rid of old cracked and faded stripes, emblem tape, all that fun automotive stuffs.

Amazon link.

rca
rca New Reader
3/22/17 11:29 p.m.

Awesome. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the link.

evildky
evildky SuperDork
3/23/17 2:46 p.m.

Keep moving and use a broad wheel surface it will burn through paint if you are not careful!

Raze
Raze UltraDork
3/23/17 6:51 p.m.

No good for anything harder than sticker type stuff...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/23/17 7:48 p.m.

Ive had the same one for years. It will leave smudges and residue on the paint. And make a hell of a mess.

I get the majority of the stripe off, wipe with lacquer thinner to get the residue and see what i missed. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Then i buff the area to blend in the paint fade. You may not have to with removing a clear bra.

Ive also had luck with sticker shock and a bondo spreader.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/24/17 7:25 a.m.

Anyone use an eraser wheel on silicone sealant type residue? The PO of my old fiberglass boat painted some kind of finish sealant all over the bow and now it's starting to look like it's got leprosy. It's turned into something between silicone and clear coat. It's kind of rubbery but shrugs off a sander and won't scrape off. I've been thinking about trying an eraser, but since this came up it seems like a good time to ask.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/24/17 1:10 p.m.

Love me some eraser wheels. But...

The worse the paint underneath the sticker, the more chance you have of scuffing it. On a new car—say, removing some crappy dealer decals—it's aces. Taking a ten-year-old sticker off of a 20-year-old paint job requires a bit more finesse.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/24/17 2:03 p.m.

I took the dealer die cut sticker off the back of the RAV a couple weeks ago. I heated it up slightly with a heat gun and went after it with one of those plastic razor blades.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/24/17 2:08 p.m.

I need to pick one of these up. Porsche, in their infinite wisdom, used decals to "protect" the paint in several areas on the 944, the biggest one is behind the doors. Mine, naturally, are all cracked and crappy looking.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UINkrgHg2bmQrQzrsIrRTPmKxVd0GY4VZfC2PK22yU1F8jOx2IgP7LVxDpflfGvN