Looks like another icon is making a comeback (don't tell LL Cool J):

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
8/13/21 1:10 a.m.

For us long time b17 and b18 gsr owners, nice to see the Teggy back next year 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/13/21 1:21 a.m.

At least it'll have an honest to goodness name. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/13/21 7:03 a.m.

If there's a hatchback and manual transmission involved, I'd seriously look at buying a new one.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/13/21 7:10 a.m.

See what it really looks like. I've had all of the generations of the Integra in my stable at one point or another including 2 generations of GSR. I'd be interested. I got to imagine that this is an offshoot of the Civic SI just like the old days. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/13/21 7:19 a.m.

Since we're already talking about it, here's the official press release:

Acura today announced the return of the Integra during its annual appearance at Monterey Car Week. The legendary nameplate, one of two models in the original product lineup when Acura launched on March 27, 1986, will rejoin the performance brand’s product portfolio as a new compact premium entrant next year.

“The Integra is back,” said Jon Ikeda Vice President and Acura Brand Officer. “I’m thrilled to say Integra is returning to the Acura lineup with the same fun-to-drive spirit and DNA of the original, fulfilling our commitment to Precision Crafted Performance in every way – design, performance and the overall driving experience.”

More details about the new Acura Integra will be available closer to its 2022 introduction.

Plus a teaser "sketch" and a logo included with the release:

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/13/21 7:24 a.m.

I really hope this is signaling a return to actual car names.  I can identify Acura suv's but no real clue about the cars, based on their letters.

Absolutely no idea at all with Lincoln.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/13/21 7:28 a.m.

I would imagine the easy button would be to re-badge the Civic Si/Type R (kind of like the current-gen ILX), but I would be pleasantly surprised if we get an all-new chassis from Acura.

pointofdeparture
8/13/21 7:28 a.m.

I know it won't look anything like this but man I would be thrilled if it looked even a little bit like the "what if" renders that were going around a few weeks ago.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/21 8:15 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I really hope this is signaling a return to actual car names.  I can identify Acura suv's but no real clue about the cars, based on their letters.

Absolutely no idea at all with Lincoln.

Or cadillac

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/13/21 8:17 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:

I know it won't look anything like this but man I would be thrilled if it looked even a little bit like the "what if" renders that were going around a few weeks ago.

That is a legitimately pretty car

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/13/21 8:44 a.m.

Here's to hoping they don't take a page from the Mitsubishi playbook with the name Eclipse.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/13/21 9:00 a.m.

Is it me or did Acura have a malaise era since maybe 2006? I had a 4 door GSR as a dd for quite a while and I loved it but seriously the last 15 years or so produced lots of bland stuff. I'm hoping this doesn't suck and also isn't too little too late.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
8/13/21 9:06 a.m.
  • "It will live up to the hype," Ikeda notes.
  • 2022 integra will be AWD
  • Actually, the decision to bring the Integra was made about six years ago, Ikeda says
  • It will  be a hybrid as opposed to a pure EV.
aw614
aw614 Reader
8/13/21 9:13 a.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

Is it me or did Acura have a malaise era since maybe 2006? I had a 4 door GSR as a dd for quite a while and I loved it but seriously the last 15 years or so produced lots of bland stuff. I'm hoping this doesn't suck and also isn't too little too late.

Always felt it was around the era of the front beak when things sort of turned sour, around 2010ish. They didn't do a good looking styling follow up to the 3rd gen TL and 1st Gen TSX. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
8/13/21 9:20 a.m.

I'm with the 2006 to 2008 retreat date for Acura (depends on the model).  The RL got a beak around then and that was the sign that they had no ideas left besides "put a beak on it".  

The NSX comeback should have been the start of something but they're only de-beaking the cars now and the about-to-die-again NSX seems like a flash in the pan for some reason.  Not my market to shop in so I don't know why they didn't resonate with customers better.  "C8" might be the answer but I can't imagine it's the only answer.

What were we talking about again?

I wonder if Honda will pull a CR-Z and mix hybrid with manual trans as an option with this car.  That would interest me a bit.  A five-door hot hybrid Civic would be a perfect replacement for my SX4 in a few years.

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
8/13/21 9:21 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

That is a legitimately pretty car

Honda/Acura needs to hire whoever did that render and put them in charge of their design department.

Instead, I think we'll probably get the new civic platform restyled to look like an Acura sedan just like they did with the ILX. Which isn't the worst thing in the world, but would be a missed opportunity IMHO.  The Integra was always and odd man out in the Acura lineup and never really fit into the rest of the brand strategy.  It was popular anyway.  Do that again, make it a coupe and you'd have my attention and probably others. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/13/21 9:27 a.m.

It won't have a manual, be heavy, big and ugly and not deserving of the Integra name. I used to be massive Honda fan but for berkeley sake they build nothing interesting.

pointofdeparture
8/13/21 9:40 a.m.

We have the 400Z and new GR86/BRZ coming out for 2022, if Acura management is smart they will be benchmarking against those cars.

They have the Civic turbo drivetrains and 6-speed manual, and the new TLX brought back the double wishbones (even if it is overweight) so it's not like the parts bin stuff isn't there to make something good.

I won't condemn it before we get more details but I'm not terribly optimistic either.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/21 10:14 a.m.
Appleseed said:

At least it'll have and honest to goodness name. 

It was going to be the ISX 2.4GT Type S N-spec but that doesn't fit on the decklid.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/13/21 10:27 a.m.

Cautiously optimistic.  EastsideWife will likely be looking for a car next year.  Maybe this'll be a more reliable option to replace her GTI.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/13/21 10:30 a.m.
Appleseed said:

At least it'll have and honest to goodness name. 

I have really no idea what any of the alphabet soup names mean at Acura. Same for Infiniti. Since neither have nothing of interest to me I guess it doesn't matter all that much.

Hopefully the new Integra changes all that. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/13/21 10:37 a.m.

"(hopefully) a manual transmission" "will share the platform with the civic Si"

So It will probably be a luxury version of the Civic SI? probably be automatic only in the US? Euro get the tricked out manual version.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/13/21 11:00 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

I consider the Civic Type R to be pretty exciting... 

That said, I am also in the "not getting my hopes" camp.  A manual transmission would be a must for me and I give those chances at somewhere between slim and none.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/13/21 11:42 a.m.

If you're buying an Integra you want a manual. If manuals aren't important buy the other 99.7% of boring commuters out there. Seriously of these are all auto, why did they bother bringing back their engaging sporty nostalgic car?

CTR drivetrain in a modern 2 door ITR would sell a TON even at $50k. Lots of 90s Honda fanboys with money now wouldn't even hesitate.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O01wGnPr5prc06RQrGEGJN4XEsz5MLf9RkEjxTNXUcQJ0EtswGKHBfcTmUOk42e3