1 2
captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/21 12:20 p.m.

I'm excited that it's going to be a hybrid, I'm not excited about the fact that it is going to be all-wheel drive. Even though I expect that the hybrid portion of the powertrain will drive one set of wheels. 

It better have double wishbone up front and an independent rear. It better have a manual transmission available. And as much as I care about weight, chassis dynamics with regards to weight in hybrids are so different Then how we think about weight traditionally with internal combustion engines and chassis with regards to handling dynamics. If you put a ton of weight low, IE the batteries, It helps with mechanical grip and traction, but it still takes force to get it moving. Ideally I would want to see it within the 3,200 range or less, and I acknowledge that really anything over 2,800 is an insult to the name Integra. But it's been over 20 years and the market has changed. 

I'll close in saying this with regards to my thoughts, Good luck to the forthcoming WRX and STI. Because if I can get a Honda engineered AWD sports coupe that's a hybrid and matchups up with the performance output of your exploding turbo charged boxer grenades, I'm not even stopping into your dealership for a test drive. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/13/21 12:24 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Same here, and I think I like Subaru more than Honda at this point. 

8/13/21 12:32 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I really like Subaru on paper, and I owned an 05 STi purchased new for 28000ish trouble free miles of fun hooning. But I like the idea of Honda ownership much more. Subaru is the only Japanese manufacturer that I put into the category of "lease not buy" in the same light as the majority of German manufacturers. Knowing that if you drive one for 100,000 mi that you're likely going to encounter a $3-6k repair during that time frame, or if you DIY it, expect it to be on jackstands for several months while you take on said repair, that still will cost $1-2k, so you better have reliable alternative transportation. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/21 12:35 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

"(hopefully) a manual transmission" "will share the platform with the civic Si"

So It will probably be a luxury version of the Civic SI? probably be automatic only in the US? Euro get the tricked out manual version.

Is that not what the original Integra was?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/13/21 1:38 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

We have the 400Z and new GR86/BRZ coming out for 2022, if Acura management is smart they will be benchmarking against those cars.

They have the Civic turbo drivetrains and 6-speed manual, and the new TLX brought back the double wishbones (even if it is overweight) so it's not like the parts bin stuff isn't there to make something good.

I won't condemn it before we get more details but I'm not terribly optimistic either.

There is also supposed to be a new STi next fall as well.

LeftLaneLoser
LeftLaneLoser UltraDork
8/13/21 1:58 p.m.

Acura:"hey everyone, the integra's back!"

People who realize: boo!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/13/21 2:09 p.m.

If the new Integra is basically a re-skinned CTR, it might bring the values of used CTRs down to an amount I could imagine paying..  

LeftLaneLoser
LeftLaneLoser UltraDork
8/13/21 2:14 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I suppose that would be an upside. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/13/21 2:50 p.m.

When the Ford Focus RS came out, I just couldn't shake the idea that for twice the price of a Focus ST you really just have a few gadgets and AWD. Perhaps by re-branding the Civic Si to integra allows people to see past that it's just a Civic Si for twice the price. Point taken about the Subaru vs. Honda reliability.  I would imagine that $40k would be the starting point which bows me out of the running until they are 20 years old and all clapped out.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/13/21 3:09 p.m.

Where are you hearing that the new Integra is an AWD hybrid? The official Acura press says nothing of the sort. I'm not seeing anything other than speculation on the drivetrain and hybrid-ness.

The only comments I'm seeing that say it's an AWD hybrid are "we anticipate it may likely be" type of thing.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/13/21 4:36 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

When the Ford Focus RS came out, I just couldn't shake the idea that for twice the price of a Focus ST you really just have a few gadgets and AWD.

Well... if you count significantly larger brakes, a larger engine with (allegedly wink ) roughly 30-35% more power, electronically controlled damping, and an innovative AWD system that hadn't really been used before as "gadgets".

Plus, there was a lack of platform sharing with other AWD models, so there was no economy of scale.

Also, they were all built in Germany.

8/13/21 4:39 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

And they're as reliable as a Subaru...

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/13/21 4:40 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

And they're as reliable as a Subaru...

Which Subaru?  smiley

8/13/21 5:46 p.m.

The one with symmetrical all-wheel drive that has issues with leaky rear main seals, head gaskets, a #4 spark plugs that's a royal pain in the ass to get to and requires differential fluid to be replaced every 30k in a trio of differentials. 

Unless we're going to talk about the unreliable turbocharged ones which are ALL of that AND more. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/13/21 5:51 p.m.

In reply to LeftLaneLoser :

I don't get some of the objections. Wasn't the integra really just a civic with an upgraded engine and interior?

Following that I'd assume something based on the civic chassis and whatever hybrid tech they have leftover from the NSX. I'd be pretty shocked if it has a stick, but who knows.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/13/21 7:29 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

In reply to LeftLaneLoser :

I don't get some of the objections. Wasn't the integra really just a civic with an upgraded engine and interior?

Exactly! This is Honda's chance to make an upscale civic with decent styling. Do a type R so we can get a CTR without the awful fake scoops and vents. 

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/13/21 7:55 p.m.

Month and a half ago there was an item about no Civic SI coupe for 2022, does that point to an Integra Coupe?

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
8/16/21 1:58 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

I thought integras were a big part of the Fast N furious lets swap everything out. I owned more Civics with Integra engines and brake swaps then Integras I owned.

That's a lot of development to just do this

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/16/21 4:05 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

As it turns out, Drift Mode is not an ​​​aimbot that makes you look like a hero! smiley

Next up: hitting Gravel Mode in an Evo X does not turn an asphalt road into a gravel one. wink

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/16/21 7:25 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

If the new Integra is basically a re-skinned CTR, it might bring the values of used CTRs down to an amount I could imagine paying..  

If the new Integra is basically a re-skinned CTR with a more subtle, adult look, I might buy one new off the lot.  For me, I never even considered the CTR due to its appearance, and never would. 

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev New Reader
8/16/21 8:07 p.m.

I just hope they don't lose their minds like Toyota did with their legendary fan-favorite and we get a Mercedes with a Honda badge on it or something. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/16/21 9:41 p.m.

In reply to Turbo_Rev :

nah that is Infiniti.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O5HBvOaxwN79YU4z52UbPDNuOZPTq10NFVSeVjnPzmHINceL8f0zqwP5KdOyNWWb