1 2 3
84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
10/30/15 8:32 p.m.

Rad bike! Always dug them. I've kept mt Bully Piston BMX in good shape all these years figuring I'd give it to my son.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/30/15 9:32 p.m.

I'd like to do a 26, but I'm really, really digging the 22. It rides like a comfortable 20.

This was taken just before we put brakes on it.

11038378_10206782772078989_3993467133190085498_n

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/30/15 9:35 p.m.

Sunday stem best stem!

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
10/31/15 6:41 p.m.

can confirm, went and bought some today because of this post and it does in fact work like magic.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
10/31/15 9:34 p.m.

Also, the stuff looks exactly like Mt. Dew when it comes out of the jug, except this stuff isn't acidic . As soon as it looks like dirty mop water, it appears to stop working. The website said it was reusable, but i think they underestimated how rusty some of my stuff is! Still, it works like a charm!

David S. Wallens
10/31/15 9:44 p.m.
Coldsnap wrote: Sunday stem best stem!

Actually mine's from Shadow Conspiracy.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
11/1/15 5:21 a.m.

David, can you tell me more about the BMX-as-an-adult thing?

I have a mountain bike with f&r suspension and I hate how it feels.

I've always liked the "hard tail" BMX bikes but haven't ridden one in many years.

At 6'-3" 250lbs, can I enjoy them again? What size? Seems like Id need an enlarged everything.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
11/1/15 6:11 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: Also, the stuff looks exactly like Mt. Dew when it comes out of the jug, except this stuff isn't acidic . As soon as it looks like dirty mop water, it appears to stop working. The website said it was reusable, but i think they underestimated how rusty some of my stuff is! Still, it works like a charm!

It keeps working, just not as fast. Once the color turns it also requires more rinsing. Crap is amazing.

David S. Wallens
11/9/15 8:08 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: David, can you tell me more about the BMX-as-an-adult thing? I have a mountain bike with f&r suspension and I hate how it feels. I've always liked the "hard tail" BMX bikes but haven't ridden one in many years. At 6'-3" 250lbs, can I enjoy them again? What size? Seems like Id need an enlarged everything.

Sorry for missing the question. I got swamped/behind while at SEMA.

My advice is to check out some bikes as there are a lot of choices today. Some guys dig the 26-inch bikes. I rode my friend's and it just felt too tall for me. (I'm 5-foot-8 where he has like a foot on me.) It was last year's version of this: http://subrosabrand.com/complete-bikes/#!/2016-MALUM-26/p/52182664/category=1660013

I haven't ridden a 29-inch bike, but I figured one would be too tall, too.

I was very happy on my 24 until I bought the 22. The 22 has the nimbleness of a 20 but with the stability of a 24. Plus it looks more like a 20 as it has 20-like proportions.

The 22-inch size is new, though, so you don't have a ton of choices. Faction (http://www.factionbikeco.com) pretty much kicked off the 22" BMX. I went with S&M, though. It's more money (made in USA vs. made in Asia) but I just like their stuff. I bought my frame, fork, bars and wheels from Cheap Goods BMX: http://cheapgoodsbmx.com Customer service was excellent and they had everything in stock. S&M sent me there for the sale.

For anything even remotely retro regarding BMX, go here, too: http://planetbmx.com/shop/

David S. Wallens
11/9/15 8:16 p.m.

Speaking of BMX for adults, at the SEMA Show (see, tying this back to cars) I ran into Jay Morris, owner of Ground Control. Jay is an old friend, and also loves BMX.

He said, I'm going to social media you old-school. Then he took out a piece of paper and wrote: "PK Fat Ripper Video Todd Lyons."

Here it is: http://bmx.transworld.net/videos/introducing-the-fat-ripper-radness-defined/#BPWtctrBw0SaKV7A.97

I saw Todd ride a prototype in the spring, and he said it was awesome. Not sure it's for me, but he was digging it. So maybe it's an option for you.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
11/9/15 8:31 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: David, can you tell me more about the BMX-as-an-adult thing? I have a mountain bike with f&r suspension and I hate how it feels. I've always liked the "hard tail" BMX bikes but haven't ridden one in many years. At 6'-3" 250lbs, can I enjoy them again? What size? Seems like Id need an enlarged everything.

I'm a large dude myself, and I'm well over 300 right now (I really need to do something about that). That said, a couple weeks back, I was attending the Lemons race in NH for Bangshift and with the External Combustion guys. Since I got a talking to at the last event I went to about riding my bitchin' 80's Steve Caballero Powell Peralta around the paddock, I tossed this guy in the back of the car:

It's a 20" 90's Robinson Rebel, an entry level bike from the Robinson line that GT had back in the 90's. It's a lot like the old GT Mach One, but with front and rear brakes. I bought one new back in 1995, but the rear hub broke around 1999 and I never fixed it because I was busy messing with cars by then. A few years ago, I scored this one at Savers for a whopping $6.99, so I had to take it home. Before the Lemons event, I cleaned it up a little, bought some new grips, and swapped my old set-back GT seat and post and rode the hell out of it all over the place all weekend! It put up with my lard heft, and it was a blast to ride. Made me feel like I was 13 again!

If I was going to buy a new one, I'd look for a 22" or 24" cruiser. For now, I'm content with this little guy.

My original one is on the left, and the new one as purchased on the right. It's kind of a rare bike, so the chances of finding the same one twice are kinda weird. The original is the earlier model. I like the graphics on my old one better, but for $6.99, I can't complain.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PIFzlsWU4yGH4sJE11YtJIgpXWWsE3rU2t1mdHOB05NTQxRsQcATeLYZnHh9juWi