stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/9/22 4:09 p.m.

I was out today in my '88 325iX and happened to park next to a new M3.  Quite a bit of change over the years, in my opinion not necessarily for the better.  smiley

(edit - can a moderator correct the discussion title?  It should say 3 series, I had a slip of the fingers on the keyboard...)

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/9/22 4:26 p.m.

That's crazy. It doesn't actually look much bigger. Gotta be an optical illusion?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/22 4:38 p.m.

The new 3er looks like a Hyundai from before they learned how to design cars but after they stopped using old Mitsubishi tooling.  It's blobby and the hood/greenhouse/deck and roof/beltline/rocker proportions are just a little bit odd, in a way that makes you appreciate that there may be something to that whole Golden Ratio business.

It'd probably look a ton better if that body line that follows the underside of the door handles was moved down 2-3cm.  The door handles, too.  And I can sort of see that they were trying to evoke an old 30s style hood-and-fenders look in the front, and while companies like Ford, Dodge, and Volvo have successfully pulled it off in ways blatant and subtle, this BMW did not.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eH3KcTX1L4Vpj0alWTDQ2AATWRqEoou0jEmCt43V91RTSPaWlo8PuQ83tmdietwZ