1 ... 10 11 12
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 12:59 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

In reply to dculberson :

Yeah, you might be ok with getting a $250 ticket while driving the speed limit and obeying all traffic laws in a newly restored, clean running 80's Jeep whose only issue was larger than factory tires but I'm not. And after you spent ~$1,500 on new wheels and tires, you'd run right out and buy another set of new ones? 

You're right to big, unprotected tires ends at the rock in my windshield.

Put flares and mudflaps on and stop complaining.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/16/20 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Hmmmm, all these dangerous things seem to happen all the time to seemingly everyone but me.

I consider myself very lucky to never have had my windshield hit by a rock thrown up by Super Swampers. It's hard to even imagine a small rock being picked up by the enormous voids in those things.

But I'm sure it's happened to you and for that I am sorry.wink

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
3/16/20 1:36 p.m.

I guess I am in the minority  that liked Diesel Bro's. To me any attention to cars/trucks/ect.. just keeps the hobby alive (like why we are all here). From what I read Utah Physicians for a Healthy Environment objective is against anything diesel and class action lawsuits. Meanwhile Utah Physicians for a Healthy Environment, are just the blowhards on the opposite side of the fence, not trying to find solutions but to drive a nail into what ever they don't like. So Diesel Bro's pay the penalty of $850k, goes out of business. Meanwhile let's be honest that $850k given to the government is going to be wasted. I think a good solution would be to use the money to subsidize synthetic fuel /Blue crude/E-diesel. 

Javelin
3/16/20 1:37 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

Three times actually.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/16/20 1:40 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

You should probably not drive behind Super Swampers from now on!

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 1:48 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

In reply to Javelin :

Try to avoid driving behind an SUV on the way home tonight and see how successful you are, that's what it is like avoiding bro-dozers in some areas of the PNW.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/16/20 1:48 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

I've seen the anti-Trump commentary from those people. No thanks.

Javelin
3/16/20 1:49 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

In reply to Javelin :

You should avoid the bullets I'm shooting off in the street.

Same legality. Don't be a d!ck.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/16/20 2:23 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

In reply to dculberson :

Yeah, you might be ok with getting a $250 ticket while driving the speed limit and obeying all traffic laws in a newly restored, clean running 80's Jeep whose only issue was larger than factory tires but I'm not. And after you spent ~$1,500 on new wheels and tires, you'd run right out and buy another set of new ones? 

No, but I expect a reasonable person to think, hmm, I'm apparently breaking the law here, and have been cited for doing so .. I should probably fix that. Like I said, complain, but fix your illegal E36 M3. It's not anybody's problem but his that he bought a set of wheels and tires that don't fit his truck. Sounds like he made a $1500 mistake.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/16/20 3:27 p.m.

In reply to dculberson and Javelin:

You guys can insult me with any name you can think of but you're coming off to me as awfully preachy for a couple of life-long car guys.

I don't think I've ever met a guy with a passion for cars that has obeyed every law to the letter his whole life. You both should be commended. 

Edit: sure doesn't take long to be called names here lately. I assumed it was just  a simple passionate discussion about automotive laws then boom, somebody needs to call you a "d!ck". Not the most mature retort I've ever read.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/16/20 8:15 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

Point out to me a single name I called you. Sounds to me like you're heated up for some reason. I'm trying to be reasonable and haven't even leaned toward insulting you in the least and honestly have no idea why you're upset. 

Have I broken laws? Sure, but I'm not going to act like the police are being unreasonable if they ticket me for them. I Never claimed otherwise. Personal responsibility means owning up to your failings and accepting the price of them. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/16/20 8:48 p.m.

I've not replied until now, but the quoted news sources are rather light on details/specifics. All I got out of the articles are one set of lawyers got out debated by another set of lawyers. 
I've looked at their site, dieselsellerz that is, years ago and for the amount of what is listed, you'd need 4 10k sq ft warehouses to house them all. That being said, could this be a brokered sale vs an actual used dealer sale? Then if it's a dealer sale, what is the precedent being set forth for further used car sales? Lots of used cars are sketchy purchases even from auction where the vehicle is supposed to be "financially workable" and free from defects?

Im not against the environment but I am against people positioning themselves as being "better than others" and sueing to get their point across.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 8:49 p.m.
dculberson said:Personal responsibility means owning up to your failings and accepting the price of them. 

...which is why I have never, ever contested a ticket that i deserved.  Yeah, I was speeding, yeah, the exhaust was loud.

The one where the officer tried to get me for inop license plate lights, when I didn't have my parking lights on in the first place, still chaps my ass, and is why I still refuse to do any business in Middleburg Heights, Ohio, because I don't want any money to go to that berkeleyhole of a hamlet.  Even my co-worker's ex-BIL who was an attorney who worked in the area advised me on how to handle the court case said not to bother, the officer was mostly angry that you weren't an easy DUI to hammer like a tent peg and he wasted a half hour on your traffic stop.

Anyway berk M'burg Hts.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/16/20 9:00 p.m.

I'm not gonna jump in here, but I will tell you gov'ts and their "revenue generation" schemes are out of hand.  Face it every government from local to the top is looking for a cash register to bang in order to glean more money so they can misappropriate it.  Sure laws were broken, and I hate coal rolling bros too, but that doesn't mean this isn't also a case of graft.  Being legal and being right are often not the same thing.  Being legal, being ethical and morally correct are also usually not the same thing.  Being right for the sake of being right, is also wrong (I learned this from my wife and it only took a decade). 

I contest every ticket.  Heck "speeding" isn't even against the law in most states if you actually read the code you are being charged with.  Driving at a speed "greater than reasonable or prudent" is how most of them read.  And if a cop can make a U turn drive my speed plus X without ever using a turn signal, flashing lights, and in a car that weighs more, has crappier brakes and tires, then I'm probably driving at a prudent speed.  I've had more than one judge tell me to have a nice day, and that was that.  One was as simple as having the ticket with the code cited, "speeding" written on the ticket, and saying your honor, that word does not appear anywhere in this section of code. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/17/20 1:55 a.m.

I have some reading to do, and two requests to lock.  So, I'm locking this while I catch up.

1 ... 10 11 12

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
XYh9PI0T1nfq5mS3CbcP6pjBhO36QzxUOWVebcvcDrxhlegD7OTqWn8klcHRA23y