1 2 3 ... 5
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/7/16 3:38 p.m.

Sweet mother of...

This announcement of their version of the Ariel Nomad makes my pants tight. Biggest question is which engine option to enjoy the insanity.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
2/7/16 3:44 p.m.

http://exomotive.com/exocet/off-road/
I dig everything about this. I even prefer the Exocet styling lifted vs low.

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
2/7/16 4:17 p.m.

This strikes me as fenders required territory. I want one. Especially if I can switch between autocross and WHOOOHOOOO mode.

physician
physician New Reader
2/7/16 7:12 p.m.

Maybe they just put big tires and the shock adapter that flyin miata just announced. That would make it easy to switch mode :D That is sooooo Wright!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/7/16 7:29 p.m.

BERK YEAH!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
2/7/16 7:30 p.m.

Oh berkeley yeah

captdownshift
2/7/16 7:48 p.m.

I want 4 old school round off road lamps mounted across the top

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
2/7/16 8:03 p.m.

Or two KC Daylighters mounted at the a pillar and a body kit to look like this

Then it would look like my childhood.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/7/16 8:33 p.m.

Im not entirely sure it should be legal to put that much fun in one car, but i sure as hell want to find out.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/16 9:53 p.m.
physician wrote: Maybe they just put big tires and the shock adapter that flyin miata just announced. That would make it easy to switch mode :D That is sooooo Wright!

Basically, yes.

I'm digging this. But there's a big upgrade just around the corner that I know Exomotive is looking at. Long travel arms, dual shocks and the rest...

captdownshift
2/7/16 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I figure those steps should be quite easy from this point.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
2/7/16 10:26 p.m.

This may actually make me open my checkbook

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
2/7/16 10:28 p.m.

Take a look at Paco Motorsports.

That is all.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
2/7/16 10:39 p.m.

So, theoretically, you could swap wheels and reconnect the sway bars and then beat this thing on the street /course? I understand it won't be as good as the base model but still, Swiss army car!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
2/8/16 6:27 a.m.

That looks like tons of fun... but where do you use it?

physician
physician New Reader
2/8/16 6:45 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
physician wrote: Maybe they just put big tires and the shock adapter that flyin miata just announced. That would make it easy to switch mode :D That is sooooo Wright!
Basically, yes. I'm digging this. But there's a big upgrade just around the corner that I know Exomotive is looking at. Long travel arms, dual shocks and the rest...

i hope it will swap to a miata with fender trimming. It would make an awesome yearround car up North. Here an open cockpit no heater car realy sucks in winter.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
2/8/16 6:57 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: That looks like tons of fun... but where do you use it?

dirt roads, sand lots, abandoned factories, plowed fields, unplowed fields (both with permission, of course) gravel trails, public roads...

The advantage I see is that you basically have a really fast, capable, road legal side by side ATV. Instead of paying $20k for an RZR or some such, you could build this for less and not need to trailer it everywhere. It's like the modern version of a 70s VW rail buggy.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/8/16 7:45 a.m.

How much is that kit going to cost?

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
2/8/16 8:45 a.m.

It appears to use the Base Exocet Race ($8500 or something) plus fancy arms, shocks, and wheels and tires.

As to the question of where to use it, I think this is even more usable than a standard Exocet. See if you can get a decent medium valving (not too trophy truck, but still usable off road) and run it everywhere on nice days. I would guess that you can take about $5k to any exocet build for this setup.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
2/8/16 8:46 a.m.

Needs a bull bar!

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/8/16 8:58 a.m.

Awesome!

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/16 8:59 a.m.

You know, throw bars on the front and back of that, and the higher visibility and safety cage makes it more appealing around town as well.

It's hard to imagine a true dual purpose that excels at both the dirt and pavement though. You could have a detachable sway bar, but all the compliance required for serious offroad duty doesn't lend itself to the noncompliance that you want on a smooth track.

Kudos to exomotive for pushing the envelope.

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
2/8/16 9:14 a.m.

If the suspension is set up right and you're not planning on going rock crawling, you'd be surprised how stiff it can be and still work well in the dirt. The shocks have to be well matched and let the suspension move and be compliant, but it doesn't need to have marshmallow springs.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
2/8/16 9:31 a.m.

Looks ready for a 2WD class in the Baja. Now, what can be done to make it 4WD?

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
2/8/16 9:50 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

Protege knuckles and a proper drivetrain??

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oF2Vrgirxj7vSznnl0IeIMwCSntQprjP9ud9H7cTyqOGBv6hgJHinIbzXbqkGGBZ