Philippe
Philippe
11/30/14 12:28 a.m.

Team Jacky Ickx is looking for an experienced driver. Although we just started to field a second car (#935), that second team is set. I'm looking for a driver for the "GT30" #66. Jim who started this team with me 5 years ago has to take a break from racing. Over 25+ races, he rarely put a wheel wrong, posted consistent & competitive lap times, and was almost never black flagged. We are looking for a similar driver... The car is a 94 Mitsubishi 3000GT, it has 3 victories, 3 second places, and 14 top10s! Because our team is competitive, we need a driver with enough experience to keep fighting for Top 10s & podiums. Early on our team decided to share equally the cost of each race. We all wanted to start with new tires, new pads, and not cut corners to keep the car as reliable as we could. It fluctuates, but on average it costs each of us $800-$1,200 per race (during which we each average 2 stints of 2 hours, and it includes a ride to the track). Up to the team expansion to 2 cars, all 4 of us were working several weekends between races to maintain, and fix the car. But since Mike (a pro mechanic) joined us, he'll maintain both cars. So, even though I'm sure we'll still all want to meet once between races, and Mike and I can always use some help, working on the car is not mandatory,...unless you wreck the car! In 2015, the team is planning to go to Road Atlanta Feb 7, Daytona in May, Sebring in Sep, AMP in Nov; and will seriously consider Charlotte in July, Barber in August, and Homestead in Dec.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse New Reader
11/30/14 1:55 a.m.

Alright... But I only drive drunk, and I wake up after 10am. Also, I'm currently living behind the bar. So I'll need a bucket to shower and E36 M3. One more thing- you mentioned a free ride? I'll need a chauffeur since I got that duii back in October. What's this Job pay again? Hiccup.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
11/30/14 11:19 a.m.

Now this is the kind of chumpcar team I'd like to get in on... Hell, I'd gladly fly myself out to the events from Alberta.

Unofortunately I am light on the road race experience having only done one chumpcar race, but the rally skills do crossover a bit and I have done lots of time attack. I was setting top 5-8th times consistantly in our Honda on a horsepower track when I did race in chumpcar and that car had no power and was beat!

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
11/30/14 9:17 p.m.

u had me at "Team Jacky"

carbon
carbon Dork
11/30/14 9:40 p.m.

Is it a fwd 3000gt like an sl? Let's see some pics.

Philippe
Philippe New Reader
11/30/14 11:58 p.m.

Philippe
Philippe New Reader
12/1/14 12:03 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Now this is the kind of chumpcar team I'd like to get in on... Hell, I'd gladly fly myself out to the events from Alberta. Unofortunately I am light on the road race experience having only done one chumpcar race, but the rally skills do crossover a bit and I have done lots of time attack. I was setting top 5-8th times consistantly in our Honda on a horsepower track when I did race in chumpcar and that car had no power and was beat!

Although it could work logistically, I would prefer someone living closer...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/1/14 7:45 a.m.

I am basically James Hunt...minus the driving talent and good looks.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/1/14 9:34 a.m.

For those on the forum that don't know this team...

They are the real deal. If I understand correctly, they are basically looking for somebody who has already been on the podium in a Chump race or better.

They are that good.

Top notch team.

Rob R.

Philippe
Philippe New Reader
12/1/14 10:28 a.m.

Thanks Rob! It looks like there are some trolls on here making some pretty stupid posts... It's funny to me that they are on a forum for people who should be into car racing ; and they make fun of a driving legend... Anyway, the only thing they are going to drive fast is their computer! And, we are looking for someone with experience, but not necessarely someone who has podiumed.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/1/14 10:58 a.m.
Philippe wrote: Thanks Rob! It looks like there are some trolls on here making some pretty stupid posts... It's funny to me that they are on a forum for people who should be into car racing ; and they make fun of a driving legend... Anyway, the only thing they are going to drive fast is their computer! And, we are looking for someone with experience, but not necessarely someone who has podiumed.

Before you bash the fun-loving GRM-folk, maybe you should realize that by "trolling" your post they kept it on the first page for people to look at it.

I'm not sure, based on the attitude shown in the post I quoted, that your team would be a lot of fun to drive for. So as a seasoned ChumpCar driver, I'd have to pass even if I could take the time off to do the race (which I can't).

TL:DR; This type of racing is supposed to be fun, so if you can't take a few harmless jokes perhaps you're taking this a bit too seriously?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/1/14 11:15 a.m.

I've got 15 years of driving/instructing, 5 years of BMWCCA club racing a few class wins, places and shows, a couple enduros with podiums, build my own cars and do my own work... so driving and work-on-the-car-wise I'm probably in the hunt here.

I travel quite a bit for work, sometimes last minute - are you looking for someone to commit to the whole schedule up front or is looking at a race or two in play?

I have not sat down to see what the sprint schedule looks like yet either as the NASA and BMW schedules are not finalized - when would you need a commitment by?

Where does the team meeting take place? I am in PA and logistically ... it looks like you are in the southeast. Is it feasible to be a team member (as opposed to an arrive and drive) from "up" here?

Philippe
Philippe New Reader
12/1/14 12:26 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
Philippe wrote: Thanks Rob! It looks like there are some trolls on here making some pretty stupid posts... It's funny to me that they are on a forum for people who should be into car racing ; and they make fun of a driving legend... Anyway, the only thing they are going to drive fast is their computer! And, we are looking for someone with experience, but not necessarely someone who has podiumed.
Before you bash the fun-loving GRM-folk, maybe you should realize that by "trolling" your post they kept it on the first page for people to look at it. I'm not sure, based on the attitude shown in the post I quoted, that your team would be a lot of fun to drive for. So as a seasoned ChumpCar driver, I'd have to pass even if I could take the time off to do the race (which I can't). TL:DR; This type of racing is supposed to be fun, so if you can't take a few harmless jokes perhaps you're taking this a bit too seriously?

Hey Turbo, relax man! I was just thanking Rob for putting this thread back in the right direction! And I'm not bashing the GRM-folks, only a couple of guys who should use Google before attempting to make a joke. And please, let me know when I should have laughed! "Racing drunk"? "Jacky jokes"?... And of course, you know who I'm, and how I approach racing after a couple of posts!

Philippe
Philippe New Reader
12/1/14 12:30 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I've got 15 years of driving/instructing, 5 years of BMWCCA club racing a few class wins, places and shows, a couple enduros with podiums, build my own cars and do my own work... so driving and work-on-the-car-wise I'm probably in the hunt here. I travel quite a bit for work, sometimes last minute - are you looking for someone to commit to the whole schedule up front or is looking at a race or two in play? I have not sat down to see what the sprint schedule looks like yet either as the NASA and BMW schedules are not finalized - when would you need a commitment by? Where does the team meeting take place? I am in PA and logistically ... it looks like you are in the southeast. Is it feasible to be a team member (as opposed to an arrive and drive) from "up" here?

Yes, I'm looking for someone who can commit to at least 4 races per year. I'm not in a hurry, but I want to make sure my team is complete before the end of the year. I'm located in Riverview, FL; close to Tampa.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4mMnb3ZXN0a6a4BFd6GyfGeQocMrOxoDl2pAxGyBc2TQ14UKt2stHlK9hN8lAEm1