chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
4/14/12 8:11 p.m.

While sexy as all hell, this design has been bothering me - but maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I appears as if a good portion of this exhaust is unmuffled. Exhaust gas will follow the laws of fluid dynamics and will want to follow the path of least resistance meaning most of the exhaust will NOT be traveling through the mufflers, am I right? I was just wondering if somebody could shed some light on this for me.

From this page.

Jarod
Jarod GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/14/12 8:18 p.m.

See the part that looks like a wastegate actuator? I am betting all the exhaust travels through the muffler until the bypass is vacuum operated for higher rpms.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
4/14/12 8:18 p.m.

What you see as the open exhaust is actually modulated by an electronic bypass. According to the type/print, driver presses a button and opens the cut-out and exhaust is routed throught the open cut-outs for a louder sound. Close the cut-outs, which appears to be the normal mode and exhaust routes through muffler.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
4/14/12 8:19 p.m.

Duh, I saw it and part of my brain registered it but my brain hasn't been functioning at optimal levels lately. Still, f'n beautiful. Check out some of their titanium cat backs. Ugh.

Jarod
Jarod GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/14/12 8:19 p.m.

Oh, the reasoning is in the description, I was almost right.

"In its basic mode, all exhaust gases flow through the main body of the muffler, giving you a deeper rumble of an exhaust note compared to stock without any drone. In Europe this system meets TÜV standards for noise. However, the muffler system is built in such a way that by replacing a blocking plate with our Wireless Kit valve system the driver is able to noticeably increase the volume of the exhaust at the press of a button. Once activated, the majority of the exhaust gases route through the muffler bypass outlets."

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
4/14/12 8:31 p.m.

"for when you want to have the heaviest exhaust of all your friends......."

seems like simply having a standard electric cutout in the b-pipe would accomplish the same thing without 10lbs of extra plumbing....

Yavuz
Yavuz Reader
4/14/12 9:01 p.m.

The stock C6 Z06/ZR1 exhausts have a similar feature in the tips. On the Vettes the exhaust will normally travel through the muffler and out of the two outside tips. There are vacuum operated valves on the two inner tips that only open up when you really get on the throttle. GM was also nice enough to let you pull a fuse to leave them open all the time which is what I have done on my car.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer New Reader
4/14/12 9:04 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

I would guess that this is intended for a car and driver that doesn't worry too much about that kind of thing.

What's this exhaust for, anyway? Kinda looks like a GT-R but I'm probably wrong.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
4/14/12 9:29 p.m.

BMW 1M. They have them for a few cars - the Mustang sounds heavenly.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
4/14/12 9:44 p.m.

That's a ton better than the manually operated side escape route in my friends Chevy. It burned the E36 M3 out of the paint job on the Corvette he was drag racing against.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
4/15/12 9:21 a.m.

The E36. M3 has a similar set up in single sided form. While the muffler has two outlets only one (the left IIRC) operates under normal conditions. Under hard throttle a valve opens the basically bypasses the muffler inerds and it the exhaust goes out the right tip more or less un-muffled.

A stock M3 exhaust may not be a light system, but it performs well and sounds pretty damn good.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/12 4:59 p.m.
Ian F wrote: The E36. M3 has a similar set up in single sided form. While the muffler has two outlets only one (the left IIRC) operates under normal conditions. Under hard throttle a valve opens the basically bypasses the muffler inerds and it the exhaust goes out the right tip more or less un-muffled. A stock M3 exhaust may not be a light system, but it performs well and sounds pretty damn good.

yes.. stock BMW systems are HEAVY!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I0cFQwVcav4zdkE7Xqa4puCKGDYNNIKzACecHefpArnSJTt8GnD2inZ7QGDezMTS