1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
8/2/18 8:40 a.m.

It's no secret: Manufacturers are really good about making photos of their cars available to media outlets like GRM, because photos make it easier to write about their cars, which is what they want. 

But, uh, check out this batch we just got during the Mazda MX-5 ND2 Launch, presented in order from 1 to 12:

They start off innocent enough. Here's "2019_Mazda_MX-5_Miata_1.jpg"

"Fair enough," you're probably thinking. Sure, they could have walked close enough to the car to make it clear this was a Miata picture, not a shot of the scenery, but we'll give them some artistic license. 

Here's number two:

Maybe the intern wasn't quick enough on the shutter? Is the tree part of an exclusive hardwood interior package coming soon? Oh well, maybe number three is bett...

Look, Mazda... we love you, but there seems to be some confusion. A MX-5 Miata is a fun-to-drive roadster. Trees are, well, they're like bushes on stilts. Got it? Good. Let's look at number four:

Okay, is there something we need to talk about? Do you have a missed tree opportunity in your past that you've been trying to replicate ever since? Seriously, it seems like we need to talk about this. What's your next picture look like?

Fine. Be like that. We can handle deflection–but know that once we write something down on the notepad, we're gonna keep bringing it up.

We don't understand. Is this a metaphor? Is she the tree? Has the tree been her all along?

We're just so confused. 

Nice, uh, branches?

Okay, that's better. Now we're getting somewhere. Good looking interior photos. 

STOP. PUTTING. TREES. BETWEEN. THE. CAMERA. AND. THE. CAR.

The series of images ends with this final photo. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/18 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Looks like it was hot out, maybe the photographer just wanted some shade?

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/2/18 8:44 a.m.

So did the lady jump off the cliff because of the frustration with the photographer's directions?

What kind of photo shoot was it that the photographer kept asking the lady to put her top up, then down, then up again?

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
8/2/18 8:46 a.m.

Doesnt mazda mean tree in japanese...  or something? 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/2/18 8:49 a.m.

That's a nice looking Z3

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
8/2/18 8:49 a.m.
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/2/18 8:54 a.m.

It's hard to believe that they couldn't get a lot of really good shots in the shaded area of the geometrically pleasing building.  However, the one shot they went with does not capitalize on the site very well.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
8/2/18 8:54 a.m.

I like those wheels

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/2/18 8:55 a.m.

Why did I feel like I was reading a Jalopnik article?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/2/18 9:01 a.m.

Could it be the same photographer that did this odd photo for Mitsu from this article?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
8/2/18 9:05 a.m.
NickD said:

Why did I feel like I was reading a Jalopnik article?

It had no real substance and took 3 minutes to write? But are you not entertained?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/18 9:26 a.m.

Did Rian Johnson direct this shoot?

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
8/2/18 9:29 a.m.

I don't see what all the fuss is about.  Haven't you people heard of jinba bonsai, the mystical union of tree and rider?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/2/18 9:29 a.m.

Pics 1&3 show that the car is inspired by nature with organic influenced compound curves.

Pic 2 shows that the car is not all that good at playing hide and seek.

Pic 4-6 shows that the car can take you to places where you can stop and enjoy being there and be one with the natural environment.

Pic 7 shows that if you are contemplating ending it all, the new Miata can take you to a beautiful cliff in style.

Pic 8 shows that once you realize how cool your car looks and how well it reflects the natural environment you will decide life is worth living after all.

Pic 9 shows that this car comes with a top.

Pic 10 shows that the doors open.

Pic 11 again shows how bad this car is at hide and seek. I mean seriously, I can see you hiding right behind that tree!

Pic 12 shows that the car looks cool when you illegally park it near entryways of blocky but visually interesting buildings.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/18 9:49 a.m.

Looks like the photographer is stalking the woman driving the ND - starting with a weekend drive where she was unlucky enough to run across his creepy desert hideout, later on the drive he even manages to sneak inside the car(!), and ending at the luxury condo tower where she lives surprise

Mazda should learn from Toyota's mistakes:

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1066234_toyota-hit-with-10-million-lawsuit-for-stalker-themed-ad-campaign

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/2/18 9:56 a.m.

To show you how it will look in Craigslist photos ten years from now, of course.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
8/2/18 10:04 a.m.

Every time Jalopnik is hiring I have a brief daydream about making the easiest money off my random babbling. I'd be hailed as a god for buying weird cars (or motorcycles, I bought one of those once) on eBay while drunk, then driving 23 hours non-stop to bring them home. I could call out that one guy who bought the "basket case" E30 for being an absolute Bob Costas (short for pusillanimous, no relevance to anatomy*) because not only are E30s a pleasure to wrench on, but there's zero visible rust how on Earth does this guy think he's in for any sort of challenge?

Then the reality of a NYC commute and joining a union sink in and I realize I'd rather chug GL-5 gear oil. 

*Given one of their sister sites, you really have to specify or risk being branded a sexist. Whenever I see articles cross-posted between those, I'm always left scratching my head as to who thought it was a good idea.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/2/18 10:06 a.m.

Maybe they spent more of their budget on hiring the best engineers instead of artists and marketing folks? 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
8/2/18 10:14 a.m.

I was fully expecting a FD RX-7 to be photographed along side the ND Miata at some point based on the headline. Just because Mazdas press team does stuff like that.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/2/18 10:43 a.m.

Is it just me that sees a Donk?

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/2/18 10:48 a.m.
NOHOME said:

4 X 4 maybe

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
8/2/18 11:15 a.m.

Why do I get the impression that the photographer was smoking the dope when he shot those pictures?

Also, don't sit on the car wearing jeans lady, or I will have this kid beat you with an umbrella

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
8/2/18 12:19 p.m.

Overseen by the same guy that thought "155hp would be perfect..." ?

_
_ New Reader
8/2/18 1:39 p.m.
NOHOME said:

They could’ve got a better looking model. Instead of some white bread Cali over-tanned wife...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/18 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Cactus :

They aren’t far from where I work now. I’ve wondered more than once if I could collect two checks at once without getting caught.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UvL5cxYDrvdli2AfmHStC2SlApj0DHQN2KkZXSwimBs0UWvhFonmmgBkDgr7JFq7