LarsBrunkhorst
LarsBrunkhorst New Reader
7/20/20 9:48 a.m.

https://centralmich.craigslist.org/cto/d/mount-pleasant-2004-mercedes-s600-v12/7160544844.html

I know this would not be a good idea, but on the scale of bad ideas that I normally run in, would this be monumentally horrific or has the potential to cart my Midwestern bulk around in absolute comfort?

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/20 10:15 a.m.

Priced too high for a non-runner. I wouldn't be comfortable paying that without hearing it run. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/20 3:14 p.m.

Check replacement parts cost for common items... which for an S-class includes radiators, catalysts, and suspension components.

I have a feeling the first time you get a P0420 code you'll go down a very dark rabbit hole.  You'll either try the $500/ea aftermarket cats and the code won't go away (and you can't return them) AND it will add a P0300 and a P0171 and P0172, or you'll just suck it up and pay $1300/ea for new Benz cats... which will make the code go away for another 30k.  Then your radiator will spring a leak and you'll sell the car for $2000 because you'll be better off cutting your losses than paying for a new radiator.

I looked at the same basic thing.  I was eyeballing an S63 AMG with 100k.  It was a $190k car new, and it was on Ebay for $14k buy-it-now.  Then I checked parts prices.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/20/20 3:18 p.m.

Most expensive maintenance item are the coil packs. Buy a bootlegs MB SDS to diagnose the issues. 

Offer 2500. If you get burnt on it then you'd easily make a profit selling it or parting it. 

porschenut
porschenut Reader
7/21/20 7:02 a.m.

I used to think mercedes had a special group to review every design and tell engineering how to make it more difficult to repair.  Now I think they have this department and another one to make the difficult stuff more difficult.  Wiring is a classic example, I have seen harnesses change wire colors at connectors, and wires seem to run the whole length of the car when they could just go 3 feet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ne5nDbj9IuZ1c7PMHTP1pANxiqScpO2OcEoaBLM05X95UbS92Od7aR4PoSa7O7rV