1 2
penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
1/4/17 3:15 p.m.

I don't think the theft issue is that big of a deal anymore. The b16 is old news.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/4/17 3:32 p.m.

It's already got rust so it's not a big deal. Buy it, drive it and enjoy it.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/4/17 3:37 p.m.
penultimeta wrote: I don't think the theft issue is that big of a deal anymore. The b16 is old news.

I don't think Honda theft was ever a big issue in SE Michigan, the cars didn't have the mega cult following they did in other parts of the country even at the height of their popularity.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/4/17 4:24 p.m.

I'm in the "buy it and drive it" camp. When it comes down to it, it's a used Civic Si with over 100K miles. One day... the cleanest one on the planet may be worth $10-$15K, but those will be totally rust-free, low mileage creampuffs. I can't see these ever brining more than that. Like someone said--- it's not an ITR.

When it comes down to it, it's a $3,500 car. Drive it, enjoy it, take care of it, and sell it off for $2K- $3K in a few years. As long as it's kept nice, it won't depreciate much more. Just wash it (underside and all) at least once a week--- more often if you can.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/4/17 4:50 p.m.

it's a civic, let it die a slow salty death.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
1/4/17 5:15 p.m.

I don't understand the question. The OP did say it was a Civic right? Are you worried about being seen in it or are you worried about it rusting away? Neither of those should be a concern. Buy it and drive it if you want it and it fits your needs.

fireball123
fireball123 Reader
1/4/17 7:42 p.m.

Chances are it's already been riven in the snow anyway. Just buy it life's to short to buy a nice car and not drive it

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/4/17 9:46 p.m.

Update: deposit paid.

I'm going to try the Secretary of State's recommended procedure for buying a car: at the desk, buyer hands over cash, seller signs over title, clerk checks it, clerk hands over temporary plate and registration, seller hands over keys, buyer drives home.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/9/17 12:17 p.m.

Insured, bought, titled, plated it this morning and drove it to work.

It is "what?" LOUD. The hood release cable still needs replacement. One of the trim screws in the dash is loose allowing radio shake. The rear swaybar is disconnected. The cruise control system has a bad case of sudden acceleration runaway. It has the traditional cracked distributor cap misfire. It's missing the top mount for the radiator.

Other than that, it's in better shape than I thought it was. Everything else is A-OK.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/9/17 12:41 p.m.

Congrats. new pics coming?

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
1/9/17 6:24 p.m.
chaparral wrote: Insured, bought, titled, plated it this morning and drove it to work. It is "what?" LOUD. The hood release cable still needs replacement. One of the trim screws in the dash is loose allowing radio shake. The rear swaybar is disconnected. The cruise control system has a bad case of sudden acceleration runaway. It has the traditional cracked distributor cap misfire. It's missing the top mount for the radiator. Other than that, it's in better shape than I thought it was. Everything else is A-OK.

I swear, every Civic my son and I looked at had zip ties holding the radiator in. Must be all the cool kids are doing it. Good to hear it turned out clean other than a few easy fixes.

Sounds like it has just the right amount of "projectness".

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
1/9/17 7:09 p.m.

I know what Michigan Road salt does to cars. If it has a couple of winters on it already, just drive it. If you want a museum piece, you can probably find a nicer one one in southwest that is rust free.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
1/10/17 8:20 a.m.
kazoospec wrote:
chaparral wrote: Insured, bought, titled, plated it this morning and drove it to work. It is "what?" LOUD. The hood release cable still needs replacement. One of the trim screws in the dash is loose allowing radio shake. The rear swaybar is disconnected. The cruise control system has a bad case of sudden acceleration runaway. It has the traditional cracked distributor cap misfire. It's missing the top mount for the radiator. Other than that, it's in better shape than I thought it was. Everything else is A-OK.
I swear, every Civic my son and I looked at had zip ties holding the radiator in. Must be all the cool kids are doing it. Good to hear it turned out clean other than a few easy fixes. Sounds like it has just the right amount of "projectness".

The Honda radiator mounting scheme is the best I've seen and the missing top mount cost me all of $10 at the dealer.

Today's update: the gearing's supposed to give me 4400 RPM at 80 MPH in 5th. It's turning 4800. Somebody swapped the final-drive. Luckily, they also installed some sort of limited-slip differential because it churned through snow without ever going into 1-wheel-peel.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
1/10/17 9:06 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Congrats. new pics coming?

Yeah, pics or it didn't happen.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/17 5:40 a.m.

Nice, bonus LSD!!

The cruise symptoms sound the same as mine: try pulling off the vacuum relief hose off the diaphragm and blowing some compressed air thru it.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
2/27/19 3:22 p.m.

Final update on that car: it was stolen eight months later. Police couldn't find it even with my phone in the car. Insurance paid out. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/27/19 4:46 p.m.
chaparral said:

Final update on that car: it was stolen eight months later. Police couldn't find it even with my phone in the car. Insurance paid out. 

Crap, I guess Honda theft still is "a thing".  Hopefully, you replaced it with something else you enjoy.  

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/27/19 7:51 p.m.

Honda theft is very much still a thing. less common than it used to be. But anything with a b swap is an easy target because they're hard to trace and still in demand to a certain degree. 

Bummer about the car man. 

I know of integras and other 90's honda's that were taken when an owner forgot to block the car into the driveway one night with another vehicle, or didn't lock the garage here in TX. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/27/19 8:00 p.m.

Kazoo berkeleying nailed it, eh?  

chaparral
chaparral Dork
3/1/19 12:02 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

Based on the security video the police think it was done by people associated with a prior owner. It took them 90 seconds to get in the door but only 3 to have the engine running once they were in. 

I replaced it with an Infiniti G35, which I then replaced with a Tesla Model 3.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
3/1/19 2:27 p.m.

Well that sucks. I was 100% serious about my theft deterrent measures. I've had 2 Civics stolen. My CRX would have been stolen (they tried and failed) if it wasn't a complete heap. Congrats on the model 3!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2dMpNzHMz9QxYhewLuQOkcfKD9uy9tIaiCL8xcQHqLm9TONQ4GA4qDF1ZTVMiNeD