1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/14 2:23 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Too bad there's no chance of a wet race. That would really screw things up
If Bernie stays in charge... you might see that instead of a double points event in the future
Random sprinklers!!!

Sprinklers controlled by online voting!

Is anyone else hoping that Marlboro comes on as the major sponsor for McLaren/Honda next year?

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
11/11/14 2:31 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Too bad there's no chance of a wet race. That would really screw things up
If Bernie stays in charge... you might see that instead of a double points event in the future
Random sprinklers!!!
Sprinklers controlled by online voting! Is anyone else hoping that Marlboro comes on as the major sponsor for McLaren/Honda next year?

Sprinklers controlled on online voting sounds like NASCAR trying to come up with a new way each year so Jr. can win their championship. And of course failing!

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
z31maniac wrote: I think a big part is that Alonso wants Button to stay in F1. I hope that will keep him in a seat. Button/Alonso would be a great pairing if the Honda engine works well.

I like Button and would like him to stay, but when he commented that he didn't like the way that Mclaren was treating him, I thought the writing is on the wall that he is gone, my guess to retirement. Alonso also has a short window for a championship run, because the following year it is open to other teams. So for Alonso to have a development driver like Button would be a advantage. Especially since Mags really hasn't proven himself.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork

Not gonna get away with that one, so how about Campbell's Soup to get the right colors? For an OF like me, back to Gulf orange? Yardley? Texaco? I like Honda, so I hope this time around all goes well. Last time looked like a slam-dunk going in (Reynard chassis, Honda engine, ex-world champion driver, sponsor with money), but shows that "on paper" doesn't necessarily translate to results. Honda's real successes in F1 have always come as an engine supplier, so I'm hopeful. Wewillsee.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
11/11/14 2:40 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Random sprinklers!!!

That's my idea.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
11/11/14 2:54 p.m.
Rupert wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Random sprinklers!!!
Sprinklers controlled by online voting! Is anyone else hoping that Marlboro comes on as the major sponsor for McLaren/Honda next year?
Sprinklers controlled on online voting sounds like NASCAR trying to come up with a new way each year so Jr. can win their championship. And of course failing!

Yeah, cause gimmicks like DRS, option tires, and fuel regulations are for SERIOUS race series...

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/11/14 3:00 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Random sprinklers!!!

except they can't

Keith Tanner
11/11/14 4:28 p.m.
racerfink wrote:
Rupert wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Random sprinklers!!!
. Yeah, cause gimmicks like DRS, option tires, and fuel regulations are for SERIOUS race series...

You guys haven't been following the FIA Formula E regs, have you? Look up "Fan Boost".

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114733

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/11/14 6:27 p.m.

no … and I really don't expect to

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
11/11/14 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

The FIA's new series needs to step-up its' game; in its' current form Formula E = Formula Excrement...

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
11/20/14 8:27 a.m.

OK LAST ONE OF THE SEASON!!!!!!!

The Hamilton fans go the left and Rosberg fans to the right..line up....

FIGHT!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
11/20/14 8:41 a.m.
Advan046 wrote: OK LAST ONE OF THE SEASON!!!!!!! The Hamilton fans go the left and Rosberg fans to the right..line up.... FIGHT!

Rosberg has fans? Who knew

Adrian_Thompson
11/20/14 9:08 a.m.

William Stevens will make his race debut for Caterham in AbuDhabi alongside Kobayashi. While as a Brit I'm happy to see another Brit in F1, I have to say it's another checkbook drive. While I'm sure he's a good driver, he hasn't set the world on fire. three seasons in F Renault 3.5 and only two wins in that time. 6th in the championship this year and 4 th last year isn't setting the world on fire. What about Carlos Sainz Jr? Waht about Fabio Laimer, or for another Brit Sam Bird?

Oh well.

Keith Tanner
11/20/14 9:12 a.m.

It's Caterham. If it wasn't for paid drivers, there's no way they'd make it to the grid.

I'm rooting for Hamilton. I think he's earned it. He'd already be champ if it wasn't for the doubled points.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
11/20/14 9:13 a.m.

I have been in the Hamilton camp since F3 when I saw him put a pass on someone at Estoril or Magny-Cours. He was a great replacement for my previous favorite driver, Mika Hakkinen.

Then confused at why he didn't get along with Alonso in 2007? I was yelling at the screen when he wasn't pitting in China in 2007, "Just pit then catch Raikkonen on track darn it!" Caught up in lying for the team and other things.

Then yelling and jumping as he passed Glock in 2008.

Since then I have watched his world seem to crumble and recover.

Hope he wins. I agree with David Hobbs that he should have been a WDC 2 times by now. 2007/2008 and maybe 2010. But Formula 1 is like that you could have had M Schumacher bouncing between Sauber, Williams, Jordan and other mid-low level teams and never winning anything. So a lot of luck goes into it.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
11/20/14 9:29 a.m.

I guess I am the only person rooting for Nico. I like to see the underdog win. Hamilton can defiantly make mistakes as per last race, I hope who ever wins the race wins the championship (especially if it is Nico).

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/20/14 9:30 a.m.

In reply to Advan046:

I always thought that Lewis' biggest problem is everyone else telling him how great he is and that he deserves whatever. When he doesn't listen to them, he seems much calmer and more about earning whatever.

Every driver complains about the other driver- Rosberg complained that Hamilton would not let him by, Lewis complained that Rosberg hit him, etc. Just like Weber and Vettel, and much like how personally Alonso took Hamilton. But I also think that the media does a really good job at amplifying those personal issues- the only time that I felt it ever spilt over was Senna-Prost- and even they were smart enough to get over that so that they were REALLY good friends when Senna died. Nobody took the BS that Schumi put on them personally.

Anyway, I'll miss the race, as we'll be on a really big boat.

Lewis does NOT need to win. He knows that- if he finishes just one place behind Rosberg, he wins. That's it. If he were smart, he'd pressure Rosberg into a mistake, and then pass- like he has a few times. Or let Rosberg drive his tires off just a little more and pass. Or not at all- just keep behind. That's all it takes.

Adrian_Thompson
11/20/14 9:54 a.m.

I like Lewis becuase he's a driver that shows emotion off track as well as being an almost unreal driver on track. I really don't see any difference in ability between him and Alonso, I think the two of them are head and shoulders above the rest.

If Rosberg wins I'll accept that as long as Hamilton is out, or in a position that would have lost him the championship regardless of double points. If he wins because of double points I will whine for ever about it being an invalid victory. Although if he wins he will at least have 5 or 6 wins in his WDC year unlike his dad Keke who had only one win. Note, I actually like Keke a whole lot more than Nico as I loved his (not the fastest) tail out 110% driving style, his smoking I don't give a berkeley attitude out of the car. He is/was a real character, while I dont' dislike Nico, he is too much of a PC - PR robot to really warm to him

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
11/20/14 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Keke was one of my all time favorites. I think watching the way he made the over the top tail out style of driving work was very exciting and influenced my driving back in the day. My first Bugeyed (Frogeyed) Sprite autocross car allowed that technique to work. Put me in the long time Hamilton fan column. Nico has learned a lot and is quite accomplished but his demeanor turns me off in general.

Adrian_Thompson
11/20/14 10:48 a.m.

Tom Spangler just sent me this clip. Alonso put on the spot. Hilarious. http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/watch-fernando-alonso-squirm-when-asked-a-seriously-awk-1661088329

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/20/14 11:40 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: It's Caterham. If it wasn't for paid drivers, there's no way they'd make it to the grid. I'm rooting for Hamilton. I think he's earned it. He'd already be champ if it wasn't for the doubled points.

No quite. Double points only apply in the last race, and Hamilton is only 17 points ahead at this point. Lacking the double points, Nico could theoretically make that up by winning and having Hamilton finish 7th or worse. With the double points, if Nico wins, then Hamilton has to finish 2nd.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
11/20/14 11:51 a.m.

Nico seems like its earned... Hamilton seems like he thinks its deserved.... Go NICO!

As to the Alonso/Button video... Button has shown that although not the fastest... he is consistent, and typically easy on equipment. If the new Honda has any reliability issues, Button might get more from it then Alonso....

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
11/20/14 12:07 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: Nico seems like its earned... Hamilton seems like he thinks its deserved.... Go NICO! As to the Alonso/Button video... Button has shown that although not the fastest... he is consistent, and typically easy on equipment. If the new Honda has any reliability issues, Button might get more from it then Alonso....

I mean 10 wins to 5.

If it hadn't been for reliability problems he would have locked up the race a long time ago.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/14 12:08 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Tom Spangler just sent me this clip. Alonso put on the spot. Hilarious. http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/watch-fernando-alonso-squirm-when-asked-a-seriously-awk-1661088329

The best part is how Jensen just turns and stares at him the whole time.

Keith Tanner
11/20/14 12:11 p.m.
codrus wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: It's Caterham. If it wasn't for paid drivers, there's no way they'd make it to the grid. I'm rooting for Hamilton. I think he's earned it. He'd already be champ if it wasn't for the doubled points.
No quite. Double points only apply in the last race, and Hamilton is only 17 points ahead at this point. Lacking the double points, Nico could theoretically make that up by winning and having Hamilton finish 7th or worse. With the double points, if Nico wins, then Hamilton has to finish 2nd.

Fair enough, I hadn't done all the math. Still, I think he's earned it.

1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CcZh3W9V4P2VZLr3mJB2WsEHGM5oKVTY00l6jhj7h8dFP4Nn3vy79OCU8UVYkVsQ