1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
11/4/12 10:19 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
Rusnak_322 wrote: Maroon, look at the record books. How many records does Vettel have? Most of the youngest. Youngest points scored (not with red bull). Youngest race winner Youngest champ. Probably youngest pole. How many wins? Poles? Now look at weber. What did he do before be had Vettel as a teammate? He is on track to be the greatest. He is young enough to smoke Ralph Schumachers brothers records. The thing I like about him is that he seem so normal. He doesn't have someone like Fazio as a manager, he doesn't care about money to the point that he has to threaten to leave months before his contract is up. He is also reported to be hugely generous to his team. Still, I root for Kimi and Schumacher before him every week.
Record books don't tell the whole story. He's a good driver, I'm not saying he isn't. He wouldn't be in F1 if he weren't a good driver. What I am saying is Newey can build a hell of a car. If I had the money to have my own team, the first person I would hire is Adrian Newey. The second person I would hire is Fernando Alonso.

Cool, if it's just down to the car, why has Webber (my favorite driver for years) never been able to seize the moment.

I suspect now I'll hear the conspiracy theories about Vettel vs Webber.

Vettel is a hell of a driver regardless of if the haters want to accept it.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
11/5/12 12:11 a.m.

Kimi say yeehaw-woooh at checkers

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/5/12 12:25 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: Call it whatever you want, but if you stuck Vettel in Massa's red rocket, took away his precious Adrian Newey, and the Austrian fizzy drinks money, you'd have another Massa.

Did you watch Monza 2008? Vettel (in a Scuderia Toro Rosso!) qualified on pole and won the race in the rain. That's the only win for that team, and aside from Vettel they've never done better than 6th or 7th.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
11/5/12 1:04 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Maroon92 wrote:
Rusnak_322 wrote: Maroon, look at the record books. How many records does Vettel have? Most of the youngest. Youngest points scored (not with red bull). Youngest race winner Youngest champ. Probably youngest pole. How many wins? Poles? Now look at weber. What did he do before be had Vettel as a teammate? He is on track to be the greatest. He is young enough to smoke Ralph Schumachers brothers records. The thing I like about him is that he seem so normal. He doesn't have someone like Fazio as a manager, he doesn't care about money to the point that he has to threaten to leave months before his contract is up. He is also reported to be hugely generous to his team. Still, I root for Kimi and Schumacher before him every week.
Record books don't tell the whole story. He's a good driver, I'm not saying he isn't. He wouldn't be in F1 if he weren't a good driver. What I am saying is Newey can build a hell of a car. If I had the money to have my own team, the first person I would hire is Adrian Newey. The second person I would hire is Fernando Alonso.
Cool, if it's just down to the car, why has Webber (my favorite driver for years) never been able to seize the moment. I suspect now I'll hear the conspiracy theories about Vettel vs Webber. Vettel is a hell of a driver regardless of if the haters want to accept it.

Webber is my hero and I also agree, I suspect he does as well.

jde
jde Reader
11/5/12 6:17 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Vettel is a hell of a driver regardless of if the haters want to accept it.

I believe what Maroon is getting at is the opinion/perception/etc. that Vettel is a brilliant driver, but not so much a brilliant racer.

Put him on the front row, and he'll disappear toward a huge lead.

Put him midfield, and he'll languish or stuff the car.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
11/5/12 7:46 a.m.
jde wrote:
z31maniac wrote: Vettel is a hell of a driver regardless of if the haters want to accept it.
I believe what Maroon is getting at is the opinion/perception/etc. that Vettel is a brilliant driver, but not so much a brilliant racer. Put him on the front row, and he'll disappear toward a huge lead. Put him midfield, and he'll languish or stuff the car.

Exhibit 1

Passing Alonso on the outside in the grass at Monza.

He's made plenty of great racing passes.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
11/5/12 8:13 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I loved Kimi's post race interview, no emotion at all, but he did admit there would be a good party and they'd feel bad tomorrow !

I was kinda pissed he was so reserved.

You work/drive for Lotus and just beat the World's greatest car makers....Shouldn't you show some excitement and enthusiasm? Lotus writes your check and you are their No. 1 Salesman on a world stage! Help Lotus translate the opportunity into Lotus car sales!

Honestly, all I got was Lotus is boring....Yawn.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
11/5/12 8:23 a.m.

Gasoline, apparently you're not that familiar with Raikonnen. It doesn't matter if he's first or last, his demeanor never changes.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/5/12 8:29 a.m.
Matt B wrote: Gasoline, apparently you're not that familiar with Raikonnen. It doesn't matter if he's first or last, his demeanor never changes.

He entered this boat race, in costume, as "James Hunt" so... his demeanor does change. Right after the cameras leave.

One of my favorite Kimi interviews... on being asked why he wasn't at the awards presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MlsMVzrp2o

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/5/12 8:34 a.m.
codrus wrote:
Maroon92 wrote: Call it whatever you want, but if you stuck Vettel in Massa's red rocket, took away his precious Adrian Newey, and the Austrian fizzy drinks money, you'd have another Massa.
Did you watch Monza 2008? Vettel (in a Scuderia Toro Rosso!) qualified on pole and won the race in the rain. That's the only win for that team, and aside from Vettel they've never done better than 6th or 7th.

This and 99 starts and 26 wins is hard to argue with.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
11/5/12 8:59 a.m.
Matt B wrote: Gasoline, apparently you're not that familiar with Raikonnen. It doesn't matter if he's first or last, his demeanor never changes.

??? "The Iceman" w/ Mercedes has cried on the Podium with emotoin before. There have been brief smiles and fist pumps in his history. He is reserved, but damn Kimi, you just won in a Lotus.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
11/5/12 9:02 a.m.

Geez, I should have put a smiley or something. For the record, I'm not all that serious about my statement or it's accuracy. Just poking fun.

Carry on.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
11/5/12 9:10 a.m.

Me too.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
11/5/12 9:15 a.m.
Gasoline wrote:
??? "The Iceman" w/ Mercedes has cried on the Podium with emotoin before. There have been brief smiles and fist pumps in his history. He is reserved, but damn man, you just won in a Lotus.

As opposed to Seb going on, and on, and on and basically giving us a play by play of the race we just watched?

Yes, Kimi's not a marketers dream client, but in today's world of, "Look at me! Look at me!" it's kinda cool to have a driver so reserved and such a good driver.

His first reaction to the pit, "Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" was funny, but I preferred the second one when told to watch the tires: ""Yes, yes, yes, I'm doing that all the time. You don't have to remind me every 10 seconds!"

-Rob

Matt B
Matt B Dork
11/5/12 9:20 a.m.

Well then we're all on the same questionable-validity-bullE36 M3tin' page then! Now we can have a meaningful conversation.

But yeah, the dude could do a better job representing his team & sponsors. Good thing for him he's a badass driver. That said, his refusal to play the PR game is one of his more endearing and entertaining qualities around the "B" household.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
11/5/12 10:00 a.m.

Lotus never signed Kimi because of his PR prowess. The team needed the best driver available, one that they knew would exploit the car's competitivness and take the team to higher levels.

Lotus got its' moneys-worth with that deal.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/5/12 10:15 a.m.
Matt B wrote: That said, his refusal to play the PR game is one of his more endearing and entertaining qualities around the "B" household.

+1

I am a big Kimi fan because you never hear him whining like Massa or Barachello. Blaming others and throwing hissy fits like the Hamster or blathering on and on like Vettel. Praising jesus like Senna... they could/can all drive. They can't shut up.

Kimi shuts the berkeley up and drives the car. Then he goes and parties with his buddies.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
11/5/12 1:09 p.m.

Kimi's cry as he crossed the line.... NASCRAP if I ever heard it

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
11/7/12 11:12 a.m.

I only got round to watching the race last night so I’m late to the party. I’ve come to the conclusion that Kimi is actually a PR master, not a nightmare. Everyone keeps talking about Kimi’s lack of emotion, but guess what, we’re talking about him and Lotus. He’s guaranteed to be monotone and monosyllabic which gets the whole berkeleying media talking. He’s brilliant because he is Kimi.

I’m really glad he won, I would rather one of the McLaren twins had taken it home, but I really am glad he got one for a number of reasons, chiefly to give some added legitimacy to his 3rd in the WDC. Heck, you’ve got a race winner in Maldonado down in 14th in the WDC, it’s piss poor if #3 didn’t have a win. I’m glad for Lotus even though I know they aren’t Lotus proper. The closest we have to direct descendantcy ownership of Lotus is Caterham and after that pissing match I was firmly on Caterhams side and anti-Lotus, until Kimi Joined. I was a Benetton fan in the late 80’s and early 90’s until a they started cheating and a certain 5 times world champ was there (yes I know the record books say 7, but he stole 2 of those) so I can forgive them. And having lived and breathed F1 in the 80’s, it’s hard to not get nostalgic about a black and gold car with Lotus Renault on the side no matter what the teams history really is (And no I don’t’ like Senna either )

Total bummer for Hammy, he would have walked away with this one if the car had kept running. Ando JB put up a good fight against SV, but Seb just simple had the legs on him in the end, which is strange considering how dominant Hammy had been. DiResta had a good drive, better than his 9th place reflected, some bad luck there. Nico riding over the HRT was scary, I’m not sure what anyone could have done about that, when a car blows up on an unsighted double apex and your closing fast, physics takes over. Glad to see them talking together afterwards. I’m not sure you can apportion blame to any of the incidents from the race though.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
11/7/12 11:38 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Maroon92 wrote:
Cool, if it's just down to the car, why has Webber (my favorite driver for years) never been able to seize the moment. I suspect now I'll hear the conspiracy theories about Vettel vs Webber. Vettel is a hell of a driver regardless of if the haters want to accept it.

Hating can be fun. You should try it sometime. Quite liberating not having to pretend to like everything/everyone.

ahaile930
ahaile930 New Reader
11/7/12 1:23 p.m.

it was a good race amen! good for the Ice man i bet they all got pissy drunk, imagine Ice man doing the same at Austin?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aWNaZjlMDDCi8cJJCvrdyd948rsesAqIJOtuHqJRAbvPXSxLqzr3Lz3ODFMj7Di2