Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/26/22 2:06 p.m.
feature_image

PROJECT91, an initiative of Trackhouse Entertainment Group meant to attract top drivers from around the world to compete in NASCAR, announced that Formula 1 champion Kimi Raikkonen will compete at the Cup Series race at Watkins Glen on August 21 behind the wheel of the No. 91 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1.

So, what convinced the former F1 driver to enter? Justin …

Read the rest of the story

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/22 2:16 p.m.

Oh... this should be fun.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/26/22 3:06 p.m.

It's not his debut. He ran a few NASCAR races back when he took a break from F1 about 12-ish years ago.

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
5/26/22 6:36 p.m.

Wonder if Kimi has Juan Pablo's phone number?

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/26/22 6:42 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

It's not his debut. He ran a few NASCAR races back when he took a break from F1 about 12-ish years ago.

It was in the truck series though, not cup.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
5/26/22 8:03 p.m.

I love the Ice Man but hope he spends less time in his roof than he did in Rally...

randyzimmer
randyzimmer New Reader
5/26/22 10:45 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

EVERYONE in rally ends up on their roof. Just a matter of time. 

I hope he takes time to scope out the access roads so he'll know what he's doing.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
5/27/22 2:15 a.m.
randyzimmer said:

In reply to 84FSP :

EVERYONE in rally ends up on their roof. Just a matter of time. 

I hope he takes time to scope out the access roads so he'll know what he's doing.

Like sprint cars its not if it's when you end up flipping and  upside down. Besides Colin McRae made a famous career of those crashes.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
5/27/22 6:00 a.m.

He did a NASCAR Truck series (NASCAR's 3rd tier series) race at the Charlotte oval in 2011. He qualified 31st and finished 15th. He followed that up with a run in the 2nd tier Xfinity series (also at Charlotte). He qualified 22nd and finished 27th, four laps down. I assume he'll be more comfortable on the Watkins Glen road course than he was on the oval, but the Cup Series is a lot more competitive than the other NASCAR series he's driven. Nobody has any laps in the new car at Watkins Glen yet, so that should help level the playing field a bit. I predict he finishes 13th. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WEfjRsUftkchmLDolb7O0V61d8orwKanjki13xIosd5wX3ZXEan2UtX9PtqOYhye