1 2 3
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
3/14/17 9:34 p.m.

Especially when I see crap like this:

We really need a roll eyes smilie on this board.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
3/14/17 9:47 p.m.

If you post it with a price of $1, you should have to sell it for that!

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
3/14/17 10:02 p.m.

Aside from D-bags like this, I've had better success with FB Marketplace, lately.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
3/14/17 10:15 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniParker:

I don't doubt that, but these are popping up more and more. I've seen some good deals on there though. There was an SCCA ITS prepped Scirocco on there the other day.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
3/14/17 10:18 p.m.

How do you even access the Marketplace?

I post in some groups and occassionally it asks if I'd like to post in the Marketplace too, but I've never found it

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
3/14/17 10:40 p.m.

FB "for sale" groups are sometimes amazing. A dude local to me got a rust-free S13 hatch shell with a cage already welded in properly for $200.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
3/14/17 10:44 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: How do you even access the Marketplace? I post in some groups and occassionally it asks if I'd like to post in the Marketplace too, but I've never found it

Also, can you use Facebook marketplace without really using he rest of Facebook? I divorced Facebook a few years ago.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
3/14/17 10:50 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: How do you even access the Marketplace? I post in some groups and occassionally it asks if I'd like to post in the Marketplace too, but I've never found it

Well I don't know if you're using the app or on a pc, but you need to have the newest update for the app and it's the middle icon on the bottom of the screen.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
3/14/17 10:50 p.m.

In reply to joey48442:

No

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/14/17 11:40 p.m.

So it would appear that it's limited to mobile devices? Thumbs down.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
3/15/17 7:11 a.m.

ive found FB market place to be about as good as CL, people are just as hit and miss with responses and low ballers on FB same as CL. I have found, atleast in my area, that the prices seem a little better/ more reasonable on FB. i wish you could refine the search similar to CL though, all you can do is adjust the price range and search for key words, but it is nice that it searches in a radius of your location rather then just major cities like CL.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
3/15/17 8:03 a.m.

What are the good marketplace FB's to join?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/15/17 8:08 a.m.

I sold a gutted and chopped shell in 2 hours on Facebook. The guy even paid ME 20 bucks for HIM to haul it off my property!

Also, furniture dollies rock. Everyone needs them. Put all your things on them.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 UltraDork
3/15/17 8:31 a.m.

In reply to trigun7469:

Some of the ones I follow:

• obscure cars for sale

• Ohio euro classifieds

• Saab hoarders and addicts

• dirt cheap future race cars

• Michigan European auto classifieds

• Noth American Rally FS/FT

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/15/17 8:33 a.m.

I've been saying for a few weeks now that FB is turning into the new CL. I had an amusing exchange over the weekend with a woman selling a Jetta 1.8T. She apparently had trouble understanding why being an automatic or a manual was important.

I just missed out on a couple of very cheap Craftsman tool boxes. Three sets (chests and cabinets) for really good deals. He posted them Sat and all sold before the end of the day (and I couldn't get over to him until Sun).

Kreb wrote: So it would appear that it's limited to mobile devices? Thumbs down.

No, the groups can be viewed on a laptop. Somewhat easier too, since when viewed on the mobile app all of the various trading groups get jumbled together - at least in my case. On the computer you can just view a specific trading group.

In addition to a couple of general "local yard sale" groups that cover cars and other odds and ends, I have also joined a number of regional and national guitar and bicycling trading groups.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/15/17 8:40 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to joey48442: No

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
3/15/17 8:42 a.m.

Beware trying to actually sell via FB Marketplace. I'm not talking actually posting things for sale in groups, but the generic marketplace itself. I posted a set of wheels/tires for sale for ~$400 with lead pic of them on my car. I got at least 5 messages "what's wrong with the car?". My reply: Did you even read the ad? Answer: No. Then a followup... but can I see the car? ...ugh.

I've seen numerous other people post similar stories.

That said, as a hunter of things, it's a great way to access a cross section of mouth breathers who don't know what they're selling or are too dumb to fix things.

The focused groups can be hit or miss. On one hand, you find unique stuff pertinent to the interest of the group, and on the other hand, sometimes people post things to those groups who think they have gold and it's 3X the price of what I'd find an average seller posting equivalent of on CL.

There's definitely some good ones though, and I'll agree the deals are just as likely to be found via Facebook anymore vs. CL.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
3/15/17 8:44 a.m.

Marketplace lists ALL sale groups item's. It also crashes CONSTANTLY on mobile. I cannot search and open listings.

Also holy crap does it bring out the morons. I saw a lady fighting someone else in the comments over why auto/manual was important...

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
3/15/17 9:30 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
Well I don't know if you're using the app or on a pc, but you need to have the newest update for the app and it's the middle icon on the bottom of the screen.

So it's only on phones? That's not good!! Groups you can get on anything and once you post it you better be by the phone or computer because you'll sell it very quickly

Or are you saying it's Groups on the Computer and a mix up of the Groups called Marketplace on the App? I is so confused. I just looked and I don't see it at all in either location.

Dave
Dave Reader
3/15/17 9:44 a.m.
joey48442 wrote:
Also, can you use Facebook marketplace without really using he rest of Facebook? I divorced Facebook a few years ago.

Create fake username just for marketplace is one work around I guess.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
3/15/17 10:07 a.m.

Yeah I have noticed it sometimes wonky on the phone or seeing the same add a bajillion times because of the way FB feed organizes it, or its posted in so many groups that I'm already apart of that you see it more often. I don't like that it has the same add over and over when I am scrolling because it thinks I have no short term memory or something...

also I was surprised when I recently sold some used tires on there - put it on CL (normal) and equally on FB but my FB blew up with lowball offers and stupid E36 M3. Sold them within the week. They have some kinks to work out but its a nice start.

HOWEVER, now I am even more glued to my phone which is not pleasant. I find myself just browsing things for sale for no reason.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/15/17 10:18 a.m.

I don't even bother looking at FB Marketplace. Every vehicle I ever see listed there is posted at "CL scam artist" prices.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
3/15/17 10:26 a.m.
carguy123 wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
So it's only on phones? That's not good!! Groups you can get on anything and once you post it you better be by the phone or computer because you'll sell it very quickly Or are you saying it's Groups on the Computer and a mix up of the Groups called Marketplace on the App? I is so confused. I just looked and I don't see it at all in either location.

As far as I can tell, the general Marketplace is only on the mobile and when you add trader groups, it automatically adds it to the Marketplace.

Someone said above that Marketplace is accessible on a PC, but I haven't figured that out yet, I was just on the comp and didn't see any particular place to click.

If you don't have or can't download one of the latest Facebook updates, you won't see it.

This is the Icon:

This is what it looks like:

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/15/17 11:07 a.m.

So they don't even give a basic description? Just a picture and price? That's stupid.

marks93cobra
marks93cobra New Reader
3/15/17 11:12 a.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace

...works for me (not on my phone or tablet, I JUST looked at it on my desktop PC with Chrome [not that I think the browser matters])

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ljU4oefjJvQt7teJvqNzvgie979ZWXvbqqzzWnnNdJ80lzTdRQ4XOhMqlgyEq8xc