1 ... 58 59 60
unclebigbad
unclebigbad New Reader
6/12/11 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard:

This was fantastic! I am definitely going to subscribe to your magazine(I didn't even know such a magazine existed, why aren't you guys on more news stands?). And WILL be one of the early kit builders; customized an perfected to fit my "wookie" proportions. That is what building a kit-car is all about. Its the only reason I know about factory 5 and now your magazine, look out for unclebigbad, I'll be showing up all over the place now.

Is there any info on compliance to the different sanctioning bodies where this type of car could race?

ww
ww SuperDork
6/12/11 9:37 p.m.

I have to say, if I didn't already have 13 cars, 3 of which are projects, I would absolutely be in for building an FF 818! I love the idea of a WRX drivetrain in one of these bodies! It's even more entertaining than the WRX/STi powered Porsche's out there.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/13/11 8:16 a.m.

In reply to racinginc215:

You'd have to ask all of the judges to get each opinion, but the other views of the second place car show more of the details that earned him such a high finish.

I'll also say that there's a benefit to doing something that doesn't look like a cousin of an Evora, Ferrari, or other existing mid-engined car.

There were a few others that I thought would end up with awards but didn't. I guess that's why I poke at websites for a living instead of working in the automotive design field.

mekeys
mekeys New Reader
6/13/11 9:19 p.m.

I would like to see at least the 100 best (in the judges eyes) posted ,so we could have one of the three bodies that FF5 is going to do selected by the "PEOPLE"

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/13/11 10:45 p.m.

my vote goes to number 3, seeing it beside #2 (ok, below, same difference...), it looks loads better, and a bit better than #1 as well for that matter. still, all of the designs have lots of merit, especially some of the notable mention/judge's choice ones

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/15/11 8:54 a.m.
mekeys wrote: I would like to see at least the 100 best (in the judges eyes) posted ,so we could have one of the three bodies that FF5 is going to do selected by the "PEOPLE"

You'd have to make that suggestion to Factory Five. They will build the cars that they think can/will be successful.

I think offering anyone a chance to submit an idea was pretty cool.

Cr8tr
Cr8tr New Reader
6/16/11 12:54 a.m.

Factory Five, Grass Root Motor, SolidWorks, the Judges and all of the forum community, thank you very much for this opportunity in this contest. I must say I am really surprised and thrilled for receiving the award. The fact that this award is presented to me by Factory Five, GRM, SolidWorks, and the judges is an added honor. Many talented individuals here was an inspiration to me and to many others. We all worked hard and had fun with this contest, in the end I we all are winners.

In conclusion, it has been a lot of fun and it has been very rewarding for me to be able to create something unique and take to heart from all of the great comments and ideas what the enthusiasts want from the 818. Thank you very much.

SuperBuggy
SuperBuggy None
6/18/11 1:36 p.m.

I would like to thank you for the opportunity to participate in this 818 body design contest. I'm very honored to have been chosen Tim Suddard Judge's Award! Also I’m a potential 818 customer. Thank you so much

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/11 1:50 p.m.

I like that orange one, looks like a Lotus 11/dunebuggy.

SuperBuggy
SuperBuggy New Reader
6/18/11 3:05 p.m.

And I install motorcycle parts and oem parts...

Project 818 Parts List

Parts Description

Headlights PIAA Iron Horse Super White H4 with dual LEDs, SAE & DOT Approved

Driving lights

PIAA 910 Touring 85w=130w High power driving light kit, SAE & DOT Approved

Front Turn Signals OEM Turn Signal lamp Unit, 94-01 Acura Integra

Side Marker Lens OEM Side Marker Lens, 06-10 BMW E60 M5

Door Handle OEM Door Handle Assy, 09-11 Nissan 370Z

Rear Combination Lamp OEM Rear Turn/Reverse Combination Lamp Assy, 02-09 Nissan 350Z

Rear Reflector L/R

OEM Rear Bumper Reflector, 01-06 Dodge Stratus

Rear Tail Lights OEM LED Tail Light Assy, 06-11 Suzuki M109R

Rear Muffler Yoshimura R77D Carbon Fiber Muffler with Dual Outlet End

olpro
olpro New Reader
6/18/11 3:22 p.m.

I wish your drawings weren't so cheated vertically. It is really hard to evaluate how they would look in reality. I know that the FFR 818 contest provided you with "templates" to help the design proposals be legitimate in terms of the actual package. Maybe you should have paid more attention to them, imho :)

SuperBuggy
SuperBuggy New Reader
6/18/11 4:39 p.m.

In reply to olpro:

Thanks olpro, I wish have 3D skill for that...

BipDBo
BipDBo New Reader
6/21/11 9:51 a.m.

In reply to SuperBuggy:

I realy like that profile drawing. It's a really cool idea for Factory 5 to make a buggy and this mid engineboxer design would work well. I also like the exposed engine and cycle inspired exhaust. I too, sketched up a buggy, but did not submit it. I made it look like my childhood RC car, a Traxxas Bullet. I even gave it a flag to look like an antenna. The only functional improvements I would suggest for your design would be that for off road, it would need more than the prescribed 4.5" of ground clearance, as well as some skid plating.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/21/11 12:51 p.m.

I loved the exposed engine and transmission on the SuperBuggy design. To me, that's the part that makes the car unique and different.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
6/21/11 1:54 p.m.

I like Rodney Olmos' design, if only because it has my number on it!

ScottyB
ScottyB New Reader
6/21/11 2:29 p.m.

i thought the winning designs were well deserved. congrats to them! it was a pleasure being able to submit something to FF, as an "average joe".

now i'm anxious to see how the real, final product comes out. i can definitely see an 818 in my garage someday, especially being a subaru guy as it is.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
6/21/11 2:40 p.m.
ScottyB wrote: i thought the winning designs were well deserved. congrats to them! it was a pleasure being able to submit something to FF, as an "average joe". now i'm anxious to see how the real, final product comes out. i can definitely see an 818 in my garage someday, especially being a subaru guy as it is.

Agreed on all counts. Now that it's been out of my hair for a few days, I really enjoyed the contest. Kudos to Factory Five for having the guts to do it!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
6/21/11 5:41 p.m.

3, please. First one doesn't do much for me.

yeahmaha
yeahmaha New Reader
8/9/11 1:53 p.m.

a bit late... here comes my entry...congrats to all entrants & winners!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/9/11 10:22 p.m.
arif wrote:
GTstudio wrote: Here is one of my latest concept car designs that I think would fit to this competition pretty nicely. What do you think ? I will show some of my other designs soon as well, I want to hear your opinions.
Sure, in my taste, this design much better than week 6-10 winners

Do you have any more images of this? This is by far my favorite.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/12/11 2:04 p.m.

Anyone have an update on where Factory 5 is with development etc? Theres nothing new at the F5 website...

http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/update/nextcar/818intro.html

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
10/12/11 2:25 p.m.

Aside from the update HERE in the November issue of the magazine, I think things are going to be kinda quiet until the SEMA show.

Luckily, the SEMA show is only a few weeks away.

1 ... 58 59 60

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4q618h5a0jSTH1TLq633tFmEXjF8b79gIkzmIl5qm1uL3O3jhFoZGSSsma6CuAhw