1 2 3
Sultan
Sultan Reader
2/12/11 4:03 p.m.

I thought this would have already been up and maybe it is.

That said Factory Five is again brilliant. So much want I can't take it!!!!!!

Based on tough Subaru WRX running gear, Factory Five's next car has been in development for almost a year. With a space frame designed and tested on SolidWorks software, this single donor car will sell for $9,900. We will use our 15 years of accumulated design and manufacturing skills to deliver a "world car" that can be COMPLETED for less than $15,000.

Single Donor Subaru WRX Running Gear

Factory Five Space Frame Chassis, 95" Wheel Base

Mid-Engine, Rear Wheel Drive Configuration

Target weight - 1,800 lbs.

Two Seater Roadster (Removable Hard Top)

No Paint, Gel Coat Panels

Target Kit Price: $9,900

Target Vehicle Completion Cost Under $15,000

Design Partners: SolidWorks Software, Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
2/12/11 4:10 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-next-factory-five-kit-car-includes-subaru/31332/page1/

Mark_S
Mark_S None
2/18/11 6:56 p.m.

Yup, now blabbed on at Autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/18/you-can-design-factory-fives-new-mid-engine-wrx-powered-kit-ca/

I am very interested. At that weight, it won't be really necessary to turbo the engine.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/18/11 7:24 p.m.
Hasbro wrote: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-next-factory-five-kit-car-includes-subaru/31332/page1/

...and also this thread of speculation about the car before the announcement was made http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-next-factory-five-kit-car-includes-subaru/31332/page1/

Obviously, the community is interested.

peter
peter Reader
2/18/11 8:05 p.m.

Actually, I've had a question about the weight - at first I was totally impressed by 1800lbs, but now I think I'm getting greedy. The Lotus 2-eleven is 1468. Midlana weighed in recently at 1463. Is making this thing a removable hardtop really going to add 300lbs?

Totally stoked, hope it comes in at or under that figure. Under would be sweet.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
2/18/11 9:10 p.m.

Have we seen pics yet? I don't see any in any of the links. For 15k, I would seriously consider it.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/18/11 11:40 p.m.

I'm curious as to what it's going to look like.

Mark_S
Mark_S New Reader
2/20/11 6:44 p.m.

What it's going to look like is the interesting thing. It's a contest and Factory Five designs the chassis and running gear and we get to draw the body. I'm kinda partial to the Ford GT 40 lines.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
2/20/11 6:52 p.m.
Mark_S wrote: What it's going to look like is the interesting thing. It's a contest and Factory Five designs the chassis and running gear and we get to draw the body. I'm kinda partial to the Ford GT 40 lines.

LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
2/20/11 8:35 p.m.
Brotus7 wrote:
Mark_S wrote: What it's going to look like is the interesting thing. It's a contest and Factory Five designs the chassis and running gear and we get to draw the body. I'm kinda partial to the Ford GT 40 lines.
LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!

LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/20/11 10:33 p.m.

Lancia 037! Ford RS200! Darrian T90! (ok maybe not that one since it's currently in production and the legal process may get a bit tricky...)

ww
ww SuperDork
2/20/11 11:32 p.m.

Superformance already has a GT40 kit. I'd like to see FFR do something a little more "interesting".

Porsche 550 Spyder

Ferrari 246 DinoGT

As many have already suggested: Lancia Stratos

The Stratos is definitely "interesting" but not something I would spend the time and money to build from a kit. I would lean more toward the Dino or the 550 Spyder. But that's just me...

I would definitely give the nod towards the Dino but that might have a licensing implication with Ferrari. FFR may HAVE to go to a completely original design to avoid any licensing costs.

dsycks
dsycks Reader
2/21/11 3:54 a.m.

What?! FFR is making a new car?!

OMG!

As for what it looks like. To be blunt, I would drive a tampax box if it were fast. I care much less about looks than function and I have a hunch this car will be RIGHT.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
2/21/11 7:58 a.m.

I doubt we'll get anything like a Dino or a Porsche 550. If the plan is to use as much of the donor vehicle as possible to stay under budget I'd like to see something low and sleek like a Dino with macpherson struts jutting out of the hood.

peter
peter Reader
2/21/11 8:23 a.m.
T.J. wrote: I doubt we'll get anything like a Dino or a Porsche 550. If the plan is to use as much of the donor vehicle as possible to stay under budget I'd like to see something low and sleek like a Dino with macpherson struts jutting out of the hood.

If this thing uses the struts from the donor, I will suddenly not want it. I don't think the re-use level will be that extreme, but I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Motorcycle shocks and a few bell cranks can't be that expensive, right?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/11 8:47 a.m.

The Prodrive P2 is a similar concept, and something with a unique body like theirs would be my preference.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/21/11 8:55 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:
Yeah, I'd also prefer a well designed unique body to a replica. That said, I do love the Dino's looks!

yamaha
yamaha New Reader
2/21/11 9:08 a.m.
Hasbro wrote:
Brotus7 wrote:
LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!
LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!

LANCIA STRATOS!!!!!!!!

or the 550 would be sweet as well, then I could afford one and paint it like James Dean's and cruise the 8 miles up the road to his hometown....lol

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/21/11 9:10 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

There's already more than one company doing the 550, even with Subaru power.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
2/21/11 9:16 a.m.

LANCIA STRATOS!!!

yamaha
yamaha New Reader
2/21/11 9:32 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to yamaha: There's already more than one company doing the 550, even with Subaru power.

for affordable prices?

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/21/11 9:53 a.m.

I don't know what the prices are. But you usually get what you pay for in the kit car market.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
2/21/11 9:56 a.m.
peter wrote:
T.J. wrote: I doubt we'll get anything like a Dino or a Porsche 550. If the plan is to use as much of the donor vehicle as possible to stay under budget I'd like to see something low and sleek like a Dino with macpherson struts jutting out of the hood.
If this thing uses the struts from the donor, I will suddenly not want it. I don't think the re-use level will be that extreme, but I guess we'll have to wait to find out. Motorcycle shocks and a few bell cranks can't be that expensive, right?

Expensive is all relative. If the goal is a $10k kit with a $15k total outlay including the donor there has to be compromises made. There is a neverending supply of wrecked crotch rockets to harvest shocks off of and they can be had for cheap. Not using donor suspsension means custom A-arms, shocks, springs, possibly bellcranks, maybe hubs, CV joints, etc. Maybe the actual contest rules will clarify the constraints other than the wheelbase.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
2/21/11 10:13 a.m.
T.J. wrote: Maybe the actual contest rules will clarify the constraints other than the wheelbase.

Count on it. There's been lots of action on this today, we're expecting full rules and such by the end of the week, maybe sooner.

And for what it's worth (I'm not on the judging panel so YMMV.) I'm hoping for a shooting brake kinda thing; Some sort of parcel shelf over the flat 4 shouldn't be impossible and would make for a much more useful package. Better yet, have the whole top as a removable panel.

Like this, but with the actual possibility of buying/building one.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/21/11 10:15 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote:
T.J. wrote: Maybe the actual contest rules will clarify the constraints other than the wheelbase.
Count on it. There's been lots of action on this today, we're expecting full rules and such by the end of the week, maybe sooner. And for what it's worth (I'm not on the judging panel so YMMV.) I'm hoping for a shooting brake kinda thing; Some sort of parcel shelf over the flat 4 shouldn't be impossible and would make for a much more useful package. Better yet, have the whole top as a removable panel. Like this, but with the actual possibility of buying/building one.

Thanks Tom........you just made me throw up in my mouth

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MBzgy4ZGXbxgBkW84bNTXqZiJNGkUlU5FVuTTyg3rtrRbRRKwiTxBZQIPODfYkhc