1 2 3 4
Groats
Groats New Reader
3/20/17 10:45 p.m.

Does anyone use a fake name or car information when registering for their local autocross events? Any reason it would be an issue if you show up and they check your ID?

It feels kind of cheesy asking, but with how insurance is these days it seems like a way to keep them from cancelling your policy if they have people out there googling you.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/17 10:48 p.m.

I use the name Groats.

Groats
Groats New Reader
3/20/17 10:53 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Good idea, then they won't know it's me!

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
3/20/17 10:56 p.m.

Ben Dover?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
3/20/17 11:21 p.m.

I don't think anyone is paying nearly that much attention to what I do with my car.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/17 11:26 p.m.

Uh, I have autocross insurance...

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
3/21/17 12:45 a.m.

Without having somebody at the event checking VIN's, like Subaru was known for doing, even if it's the same make/model/color they have no evidence that the car you were driving was the car they are insuring...Of course, if they are checking VIN's or plates, no amount of name changing on your event registration will help you the way masking over your VIN and plate will. Regardless of whether it would stand up in court or not, denying coverage for something they can't prove you actually did in the car they were insuring sounds like a good way for them to get sued.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/21/17 1:41 a.m.

Swervy McSwerveface?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/21/17 6:10 a.m.

Abe Froman.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
3/21/17 6:12 a.m.
Groats wrote: It feels kind of cheesy asking, but with how insurance is these days it seems like a way to keep them from cancelling your policy if they have people out there googling you.

They don't.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/21/17 6:15 a.m.

Sir Conesalot

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/21/17 6:21 a.m.

Juchof De Podium

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
3/21/17 6:21 a.m.

Colin McGay

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/21/17 6:23 a.m.

Abe Froman.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/21/17 6:32 a.m.

Keyser Söze

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
3/21/17 6:42 a.m.
Klayfish wrote:
Groats wrote: It feels kind of cheesy asking, but with how insurance is these days it seems like a way to keep them from cancelling your policy if they have people out there googling you.
They don't.

They have before. We had an issue about 10 years ago where a spectator walking around taking a ton of pictures turned out to be a local insurance agent. He ran the plates on all the cars there and promptly cancelled the policies of any that were his customers.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
3/21/17 6:45 a.m.

Morey Amsterdam, the man not the sandwich.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
3/21/17 6:56 a.m.

In reply to Spoolpigeon:

I'm not saying I don't believe this, but what would be the upside for this local agent? Wouldn't he or she just dropping paying customers?

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
3/21/17 7:00 a.m.

If someone from USAA is that worried to come to my local autocross (or rallycross), I would invite him for a ride-along. And then help him find a cheap car on craigslist for himself.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
3/21/17 7:23 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote:
Klayfish wrote:
They don't.
They have before. We had an issue about 10 years ago where a spectator walking around taking a ton of pictures turned out to be a local insurance agent. He ran the plates on all the cars there and promptly cancelled the policies of any that were his customers.

If that's the case, that would have been an individual agency acting on their own. Agents are often "independent", and even if they're affiliated with one particular company, they run their own ship. Losses can hurt their profits. Even that I would say is a very isolated and extreme incident. It's just not something insurance companies do.

Besides, what would they care anyway. Autox isn't real racing.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
3/21/17 7:24 a.m.
Jerry wrote: If someone from USAA is that worried to come to my local autocross (or rallycross), I would invite him for a ride-along. And then help him find a cheap car on craigslist for himself.

I love that idea! I can see the expression on his face right now.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KkrKcia6ENw

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/21/17 7:59 a.m.

Haywood Jablome

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/21/17 8:02 a.m.

First name Last, Middle name First.

Oh do a roller derby name

Sgt. Coneslaughter

Paint your helmet like Deadpool's except replace orange for the red and name yourself Deadcone. (Since you "wear red, stupid" in this case orange)

Captain SlowPAX...wait that is strikingly similar to tampax. Still works

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
3/21/17 8:03 a.m.

Stig's Retarded Cousin

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/21/17 8:09 a.m.

Arse Biscuit sponsored by Peniston Oils

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners