Sorry, couldn't resist!

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/21/17 8:30 a.m.

For the really obscure Roadkill reference, Nash Thunderbottom or Boot Fubarski

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/21/17 8:47 a.m.

It's a frustrating problem in Ontario Canada, in all of our insurance policies it states that vehicles cannot be used for any sort of racing or timed events, does't matter if they are on private property etc. So that includes autocross, open lapping, test n tune nights at the drag strip etc. If they find out you are you are participating in anything like that then they will drop your policy, and finding insurance through another company could be very difficult. I find it really frustrating that taking part in a responsible activity in a controlled environment rather than the alternative of street racing means I am taking a risk and facing monetary consequences when I have broken no laws. The police here even encourage you to take it to the track (Project E.R.A.S.E) which is a good thing, it drives me crazy when I hear of street racing incidents when there are so many other affordable options that don't put others at risk. Signing up using a different name (maybe email the organizers ahead of time?) and pulling off license plates at the event seems like an easy way to prevent problems.

Adam

Schrödinger's Engineer
Schrödinger's Engineer MegaDork
3/21/17 8:49 a.m.

In reply to adam525i:

Sounds like the Mitsubishi Evo warranty guy found a new job...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
3/21/17 9:02 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote:
Klayfish wrote:
Groats wrote: It feels kind of cheesy asking, but with how insurance is these days it seems like a way to keep them from cancelling your policy if they have people out there googling you.
They don't.
They have before. We had an issue about 10 years ago where a spectator walking around taking a ton of pictures turned out to be a local insurance agent. He ran the plates on all the cars there and promptly cancelled the policies of any that were his customers.

Use that agent's name. Seems fair to me.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/21/17 9:20 a.m.
Jerry wrote: If someone from USAA is that worried to come to my local autocross (or rallycross), I would invite him for a ride-along. And then help him find a cheap car on craigslist for himself.

You wouldn't have to worry about USAA doing that. They don't pay claims anyway. It's a one way deal, you give them money, they keep it.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
3/21/17 9:35 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
Spoolpigeon wrote:
Klayfish wrote:
Groats wrote: It feels kind of cheesy asking, but with how insurance is these days it seems like a way to keep them from cancelling your policy if they have people out there googling you.
They don't.
They have before. We had an issue about 10 years ago where a spectator walking around taking a ton of pictures turned out to be a local insurance agent. He ran the plates on all the cars there and promptly cancelled the policies of any that were his customers.
Use that agent's name. Seems fair to me.

Well played, I like it!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/21/17 9:37 a.m.

If an agent is taking pictures of plates, registering under a false name probably won't help much.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
3/21/17 9:42 a.m.

Geico dropped me for autocross.

Best thing that ever happened to me since I got hagertys for the Miata and they were amazing after the Miata was totalled

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/17 9:50 a.m.

Fred Garvin

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/21/17 10:05 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote:
Klayfish wrote:
Groats wrote: At an SCCA event, no one is allowed to just walk around taking picture. Ask me how I know. An insurance agent can not It feels kind of cheesy asking, but with how insurance is these days it seems like a way to keep them from cancelling your policy if they have people out there googling you.
They don't.

At an SCCA event, no one is allowed to wander around taking pictures. ask me how I know.

A local insurance agent does not have the authority to cancel policies. He makes his money by selling policies.

Sounds like another internet story.

Today, insurance companies are sponsoring race cars.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
3/21/17 10:18 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: Larsen's Biscuits sponsored by Peniston Oils

FTFY

Flight Service wrote: Schrödinger's Cone

Hmmm...I like that one: A cone that has been placed in a chalk box, which is then moved by a passing car, exists in a dual state as both a penalty and not a penalty until it is observed by a corner worker.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
3/21/17 10:31 a.m.

Sir Conealot

Darth Coneator

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/17 10:49 a.m.

It's quite rare but insurers do sometimes scout for people to drop...usually at street racing meets (which most often means "riceboys hanging out at a gas station") and on even rarer occasions, at legit racing events, but the odds of being caught are incredibly slim.

Schrödinger's Engineer
3/21/17 10:57 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: Sir Conealot Darth Coneatorenator

Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Raze
Raze UltraDork
3/21/17 11:00 a.m.

Totes MaGoats

Schrödinger's Engineer
3/21/17 11:01 a.m.
Driven5 wrote:
Flight Service wrote: Schrödinger's Cone
Hmmm...I like that one: A cone that has been placed in a chalk box, which is then moved by a passing car, exists in a dual state as both a penalty and not a penalty until it is observed by a corner worker.

Right, which could lead to a case of Schrödinger's FTD and/or Schrödinger's PAX depending on Schrödinger's Penalty. But if you didn't spend the night before with Schrödinger's Amy you would have been more focused avoiding this whole mess in the first place.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
3/21/17 11:30 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote:
Jerry wrote: If someone from USAA is that worried to come to my local autocross (or rallycross), I would invite him for a ride-along. And then help him find a cheap car on craigslist for himself.
You wouldn't have to worry about USAA doing that. They don't pay claims anyway. It's a one way deal, you give them money, they keep it.

I've not had any issues with USAA paying claims. They were pretty in the ball both times we've had to make claims.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4dE9yne9nhaxMguRpheu0NHEftPhKvv5JIvuLaCQpyjtIh32hGpS7kxF40VNR7uV