1 2 3 4
Jay
Jay UltraDork
3/23/17 2:01 p.m.

I made a fake name up a while ago when I got on a certain social media site, but ended up using it so much I now have quasi-official ID and a lease on an apartment under it.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
3/23/17 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Jay:

That sounds like an Ashley Madison situation.

Schrödinger's Flight Service
Schrödinger's Flight Service MegaDork
3/23/17 2:16 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: In reply to Jay: That sounds like an Ashley Madison situation.

More like

evildky
evildky SuperDork
3/23/17 2:45 p.m.

My brother used to always use the name of a dead rock star when bowling. Anything from Jimi Hendrix to Shannon Hoon.

car39
car39 HalfDork
3/23/17 3:19 p.m.

Had a friend who had a warranty problem denied because the dealer claimed he was autoxing the car, which he was, and it caused the issue, which it didn't. The car was dead stock, and a known issue. He found another dealer, and they fixed the car, no problem. After that, he ran under a alias for so long, most of us couldn't remember his real name. During the driver's meeting, I used to remind people that EVERYONE on the site has a camera, and if you're worried protect yourself. I had one novice argue with me that the club should be liable if anything happened, that he had no personal responsibility. I told him to "Go forth, and multiply", but not in those words. We took away his participation trophy, too.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/17 4:15 p.m.

I use the name John Brown. It's common enough and no one would ever confuse the effort I put going around a course as performance driving. Often I am considered another lost old man from the Midwest

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/17 7:06 p.m.

Dean Smith. No really I am the dead coach of some coledge basket ball team. Really.

I get this so much that at this point I just tell people that was my other job. Most people don't even know he is dead. Every now and then I get someone that really thinks I am Dean Smith. And I can say with a strait face that I am.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/23/17 7:27 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

You are really well known around these parts.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/17 8:46 p.m.

Schrödinger's Flight Service
Schrödinger's Flight Service MegaDork
3/24/17 11:16 a.m.

Walk over choke out the steward and throw your #1 competitor out of the car at the first corner and then enter as Jason Borne

Then after the end of the day call the regional director and threaten him

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
3/25/17 1:17 a.m.

In reply to Schrödinger's Flight Service:

Lol

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/17 5:27 a.m.

I used Pat McRoin when I did impounds and the kid that worked with me was my brother Holden.

When my dad ran his Monte Carlo in spectator drags he and our neighbor took turns driving under the name Carlo Monte. Most of the regulars had some kind of made up name.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/25/17 6:08 p.m.
evildky wrote: My brother used to always use the name of a dead rock star when bowling. Anything from Jimi Hendrix to Shannon Hoon.

My GRM handle, which I also use everywhere else on the internet, actually originates from bowling. Long story haha

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
3/25/17 8:51 p.m.

Randy Beaman

Then everyone can say: "This one time at autocross, Randy Beaman..."

I had thoughts about this topic, but then realized even if it was a valid concern...the vette is so recognizable it really doesn't matter.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
4/5/17 9:30 a.m.

I suspected a dude of using a fake name last weekend. Turns out he just is named Jeff Gordon. And wasn't driving a Chevy.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
4/5/17 9:33 a.m.
Furious_E wrote: My GRM handle

Yeah, me too

jde
jde HalfDork
4/5/17 7:25 p.m.
Hal
Hal UltraDork
4/5/17 7:55 p.m.

I used another persons name for a while a long time ago. Funny story regarding that:

Fall of 1962 I walked into the first session of my college PE class(back then PE was a required class in college). I recognized the professor immediately. He called roll and when I answered he gave me a funny look and kept looking at me thru the whole session. At the end of class he stopped me and said "I thought I know you but his last name is XXXX. I replied "Sometimes it is, but we will not talk about it, Mr. XXXX. He smiled and said "Fine by me."

The previous summer I had been working in a gas station where the owner had a car that he ran in the jalopy class on the dirt tracks in SW PA. He hurt his back and couldn't drive for a couple weeks so I volunteered to drive. Only problem was that I was just 19 years old and you needed to be 21. So I used his 23 year old son's ID and ran 3 races.

My college PE professor was running in the modified class at the same time using a different name. Back then the idea of a college professor being a race car driver was not acceptable. So we kept our secret and had a few chuckles about it every so often.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot New Reader
4/5/17 9:48 p.m.

Patty O'Furniture, if only to hear the PA announcer slowly get the joke.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/5/17 11:00 p.m.

Phil Anders.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NXAMLk1j2Iq4Z9BF9ZFjxtfiWKz93uUKAaYOuY9x7EeKEDrmGLOZOJWgpFM8Nurb