GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/4/22 8:47 a.m.

Folks,

What's the hives favorite coolant stop leak? It's a minor leak but is annoying. I just don't feel like ripping my motor apart in the middle of summer. 

So it's where the timing cover bolts to the block. You can just see it wicking up and I'll get tiny puddles in there.

Thanks!

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/4/22 9:02 a.m.

Subaru Cooling System Conditioner (a.k.a. Holts Radweld) is the only one I know of that has a reputation for actually helping sometimes, and for not causing too many problems like clogged radiators and heater cores. It's cheap and easy, just pour it in and go. Shake it first to mix the particles up.

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
7/4/22 11:49 a.m.

Thank you, just ordered up a bottle. Should be here this weekend.

Kinda funny that the Subaru bottle was cheaper than the name brand bottle.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/4/22 12:48 p.m.

Maybe it says something if Subaru sells their own brand of stop-leak.  Just saying.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/22 3:11 p.m.

I would just top it off if it gets low, then fix it later.

I detest stop leak.  It puts a film of gooey crap everywhere which can slow down heat transfer in the jackets and radiator.  The Branger I used to have was full of that junk and an IR thermometer showed that about 1/3 of the tubes on the radiator were clogged.

Ever watch a tire installer swear profusely when they take a tire off and see fix-a-flat inside?  I'm the same way with stop-leak.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
7/4/22 3:51 p.m.

K-seal stopped the constant weeping from the cylinder heads of my Avalanche.  Mine was one of the many with the bad head castings.  They had been leaking for years and the PO just topped it up every week. 

One bottle of K-seal and the leak stopped for the 2 years I had it.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/4/22 4:07 p.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

Maybe it says something if Subaru sells their own brand of stop-leak.  Just saying.

You ain't wrong. But it also says something that in their corporate search for the best stop-leak product, the winner was British.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/22 4:29 p.m.
Trent said:

K-seal stopped the constant weeping from the cylinder heads of my Avalanche.  Mine was one of the many with the bad head castings.  They had been leaking for years and the PO just topped it up every week. 

One bottle of K-seal and the leak stopped for the 2 years I had it.

K seal destroyed components in my Volvo.  It plugged the banjo fittings for the turbo, cooking its bearings, and it plugged the coolant lines running through the PCV system.  I also suspect it partially plugged the heater core, but have no way to prove that.

Fortunately the replacement engine came with a good turbo and PCV system.  And the heat is still pretty good.

At least your Avalanche situation was porosity causing coolant to weep into the oil.  This was a massively cracked cylinder head that no amount of magic elixir could remedy.

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
7/11/22 2:02 p.m.

Well, as it turns out, it was my intake gaskets were leaking. For whatever reason, I checked the bolts and they were pretty loose. I torqued them all backed up and went to a show about an hour away. Had a touch of coolant again once we got home.

Called Fel-Pro about them and their recommendation is to replace the existing gaskets since they are probably saturated. Also to retorque the new gaskets after a heat cycle. Also mentioned to double check the angle of the intake vs the block / heads.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6g7nfKfb1Cw9kmIprH3xk0e9qWhpgGu1yB0aidMhrhJ8QpRKq8GklHRv7tde4ffY