1 2 3 ... 6
Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
5/11/12 4:19 p.m.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?6105-818-Update-and-Subi-Fest-Tomorrow

I love how it looks FFR. HOF stuff!

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
5/11/12 4:34 p.m.

Awesome!! Can't wait to see more!

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
5/11/12 6:14 p.m.

Pretty awesome. I'll probably consider building one in a few years. I'm just sad, because it's going to make finding a cheap wrecked WRX even more impossible...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
5/11/12 6:25 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: Pretty awesome. I'll probably consider building one in a few years. I'm just sad, because it's going to make finding a cheap wrecked WRX even more impossible...

Now irreverently renamed to the Shelby Cobra!

(I keed, I keed)

motomoron
motomoron Dork
5/11/12 9:26 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
JohnyHachi6 wrote: Pretty awesome. I'll probably consider building one in a few years. I'm just sad, because it's going to make finding a cheap wrecked WRX even more impossible...
Now irreverently renamed to the Shelby Cobra! (I keed, I keed)

Hahaha.

evildky
evildky Dork
5/11/12 11:10 p.m.

I kinda wondered why FF decided to build a car based on such a low production drive train, the original FFR was such a hit because it used very common very available donor parts, the WRX is a pretty low production and already sought after donor

....unless subaru has some sort of great crate motor program?

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
5/12/12 1:37 a.m.

In reply to evildky:

If they do offer a crate motor, I'm sure it's more than a wrecked WRX. Plus, you need the entire suspension, steering, fuel, and braking systems, seats, pedals, wheels and tires, and the rest of the driveline.

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
5/12/12 1:41 a.m.
evildky wrote: I kinda wondered why FF decided to build a car based on such a low production drive train, the original FFR was such a hit because it used very common very available donor parts, the WRX is a pretty low production and already sought after donor ....unless subaru has some sort of great crate motor program?

Is there some other lightweight, simple, powerful option in AWD flavor with a booming aftermarket that you prefer other than Subaru WRX? Seems like a decent way to check all those boxes to me!

Bryce

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
5/12/12 1:51 a.m.

DSM seems obvious.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
5/12/12 9:02 a.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: In reply to evildky: If they do offer a crate motor, I'm sure it's more than a wrecked WRX. Plus, you need the entire suspension, steering, fuel, and braking systems, seats, pedals, wheels and tires, and the rest of the driveline.

Wonder if it'll fit the components out of the FR-S? The majority of parts are from the WRX bins if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a bunch of those wrapped around everything from telephone poles to the neighbors dog pretty shortly.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
5/12/12 12:14 p.m.

In reply to Nashco:

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that FFR is making the 818 and all, and I think the WRX is a good donor from a technical standpoint. I just wish there were more wrecked WRXs around.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
5/12/12 5:26 p.m.
Nashco wrote:
evildky wrote: I kinda wondered why FF decided to build a car based on such a low production drive train, the original FFR was such a hit because it used very common very available donor parts, the WRX is a pretty low production and already sought after donor ....unless subaru has some sort of great crate motor program?
Is there some other lightweight, simple, powerful option in AWD flavor with a booming aftermarket that you prefer other than Subaru WRX? Seems like a decent way to check all those boxes to me! Bryce

The 818 isn't AWD it's mid engine RWD. Otherwise I agree 1800lbs, simple, and very tunable for 15 - 20k sounds like great fun.

http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/project-818/design/#_runninggearcontents

evildky
evildky Dork
5/13/12 4:14 p.m.
Nashco wrote:
Is there some other lightweight, simple, powerful option in AWD flavor with a booming aftermarket that you prefer other than Subaru WRX? Seems like a decent way to check all those boxes to me! Bryce

As already stated it's not awd, it's rwd, so.....Honda K series? Much more available, loads of potential, more aftermarket than you can shake a horizontally opposed connecting rod at. The only benefit I see is the lower COG which I would trade happily for the reduced cost of the Honda powerplant.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
5/13/12 8:02 p.m.

In reply to evildky:

Umm... have you looked at the prices on K series lately. Holy crap those things are pricey. You can get a cheap one (CRV K24) for 1K but it only makes 160hp but where is the fun in that. I think the fact that the subies are already turn and have superior weight bias makes the WRX an obvious choice.

peter
peter Reader
5/13/12 10:22 p.m.
evildky wrote: As already stated it's not awd, it's rwd, so.....

The reason an AWD platform was chosen was so a single donor could be used. In this case, the rear uprights are used from the WRX, with (likely) drive shaft adapters to put the rear drive shafts on front differential. This lets you keep the front uprights at the front, where they belong.

Sure, if you use a FWD donor, you can do some engineering and use the front uprights in the rear. But then what do you do in the front? You need another donor...

All been covered in the FFR forum, if you've got the time...

ScottKoschwitz
ScottKoschwitz None
9/24/12 6:00 p.m.

A just-released picture of the 818R being constructed for SEMA--the first new info in a long time--is up on the FFR forum.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/24/12 6:19 p.m.

Such a conundrum for the enterprising individual. Don't want the Subie drive train? Find the wrecked WRX that you need the parts from. Salvage all the suspension/brake components you need. Sell the Subie engine/transmission to someone that needs it. Buy the other drive train you want to install into the FFR 818. This may be one instance where LSx is not the answer...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/24/12 6:46 p.m.

Looks like a lot of front overhang but the overall shape's OK.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/24/12 6:50 p.m.

Oh one modification I'd make right off the bat is a different steering rack. My mom's GD Impreza has a progressive/variable-rate rack, and those just feel wrong.

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
9/24/12 7:48 p.m.

SO DAMN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
9/24/12 7:51 p.m.

You know I have been thinking about buying one of these and then I realize for the same money I could have a Chevy Sonic......

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/24/12 7:53 p.m.

In reply to Sultan:

That should be a fairly easy choice, shouldn't it?

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
9/24/12 8:08 p.m.

I'm still not liking this car at all... and I had such high hopes when the project when was first discussed. It just seems... pointless... I'd rather have a Locost. I view Mark's VW MK IV based kit the same way. Both are just too ugly for me, although imho the VW kit looks better.

peter
peter HalfDork
9/24/12 10:57 p.m.

As the guy whose hair was originally threatened with ignition...

My hair ain't on fire.

I never warmed to this design. I was in the shop when they revealed their full-size mockup and I discussed the aesthetic shortcomings with their engineer/"designer". I am not a car designer, but I was an art major, I make ceramic art as a hobby, and spend oodles of time in the museums here in NYC. It was obvious then and is obvious now that this artistic discussion fell on completely deaf ears.

Factory Five had a great opportunity to use some rather amazing designs and designers discovered during the design contest. Instead they used it as a publicity stunt and just went with their internal design.

I used to be very into this car and the FFR family Kool-Aid. Hell, I bought a damn WRX as a donor. The WRX is gone and my desire for this product is too.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
9/25/12 12:42 a.m.

Wonder if you could order it sans body?

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0LnmSQjwRxsQJt6GMSCWTUsqzXKf5jgH23IWtyiH3rvxRnAkUdWWUU7yLxvnU2PT