1 2 3
The0retical
The0retical UberDork
1/2/20 10:57 a.m.

Who hasn't seen it yet?

Writeup states that the intended power plants are: Ford small blocks, Ford modular engines, and the LS series. (Also a v12 LS engine)

There's a mention of a "street nose" for it as well.

I've been a big fan of the GTM since I saw the writeup in GRM 15(?!) years ago. I'm betting this will probably slot in above the GTM.

_
_ Dork
1/2/20 11:09 a.m.

It's a love child from jag and the LFA

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
1/2/20 11:14 a.m.

It's what Lambo would do if they did front engine'd cars anymore.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/2/20 11:19 a.m.

wow, that's HAWT!

_
_ Dork
1/2/20 11:25 a.m.

"Build your own super car for the price of a super car."

worst part is- you don't even get to make it look like YOU want it to. 

"build someone's super car for them at the same price as a super car built for you!"

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/2/20 11:39 a.m.

Seriously....

How do I manage to get through the day without one of these!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/2/20 11:58 a.m.

I expected to see a design using the drivetrain from the '20 Corvette, not a front engine.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
1/2/20 12:02 p.m.

Looks nice. A bit like a Vulcan, perhaps.

I'm still holding out hope that I'll magically fall into enough money to build a Superlite GT-R.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
1/2/20 12:21 p.m.

Feels like an Aston and Viper gave birth...not a bad thing...I agree the kits to build quality are $$$, then again, there's a price and panache to being unique.  I'd hit that

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/20 12:39 p.m.

Anyone else see those wheels and think Saab sonnet?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/2/20 1:19 p.m.

That looks amazing!

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
1/2/20 1:30 p.m.
_ said:

It's a love child from jag and the LFA

I was thinking Ford GT (from front) and Corvette (at the back)

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
1/2/20 1:46 p.m.

It looks good, but I'm just not feeling it. 

Too much like the last Vette, I think. 

I'm still looking for them to produce the Miata based early 60s sports racing car, with a space frame, one piece body, and sub 1500lb weight. 

They said they'd lose money on it, but I think they'd make it up in volume.  wink

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
1/2/20 1:50 p.m.

My first thought before reading the article was new Mustang.

morello159
morello159 Reader
1/2/20 2:08 p.m.

The thought of one of these with a 9000RPM coyote motor in it gives me funny feelings. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/20 2:19 p.m.

A knockoff AM Vulcan, I like it!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/2/20 2:21 p.m.

Niner?

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/2/20 2:39 p.m.

It's interesting that they're considering moving the engine to the front of their flagship car just when Chevy moved theirs to the rear.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/2/20 3:05 p.m.
APEowner said:

It's interesting that they're considering moving the engine to the front of their flagship car just when Chevy moved theirs to the rear.

You have to remember that they are selling kits to someone else who will then have to install the drivetrain. I was just reading up on their Type 65 Coupe (because I watched Shelby American on Netflix last night) and the FFR guys mentioned that the majority of the calls to their tech hotline were about their mid-engine car even though they were only a small number of the sales. I suspect that they looked at their customers' experiences over the last 20 years and decided FR was a better setup for the masses.

I see some elements of the old Vette, the Mustang, and the Camaro too. I think it looks like a Hotwheels designer made a Corvette based custom for one of their super-future-loop-racer track sets. And that's a compliment.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/2/20 3:12 p.m.

Not doing much for me.

My uncle is looking to build one of these.  https://www.superformance.com/factory-models-gt40

Raze
Raze UltraDork
1/2/20 3:18 p.m.
Robbie said:

Anyone else see those wheels and think Saab sonnet?

I was thinking more extreme Rubicon rims:

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/2/20 3:20 p.m.

Great, I looked at the details page. 2400lb weight. Man, at that weight level I'd love to see a built Theta/6-spd combo from the Gen Coupe stuffed in there making 400hp. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/2/20 3:23 p.m.

2400lbs with the kinds of drivetrains they're talking about would be absolutely bonkers.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/2/20 3:32 p.m.

I'd be interested in talking candidly with the FF marketing and product development people. I think that one of the problems that the 818 had was that you basically ended up with a louder, less comfortable Boxter. Quicker, yes, but at what cost?

So when it comes to this puppy, how is it superior to a Vette? And will the performance and style be worth the crudeness?

I really don't mean to be a naysayer. I'm a kit car/custom build nut.  But the emphasis is on the word nut. What are the sane people going to think? 

_
_ Dork
1/2/20 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Kreb :

The sane won't buy. They buy the vette. I will say, if they have wind tunnel tested this, that saves a lot for a DIY track guy. This is very niche though. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EK49eLCpqRmGf0D4ZcG0h39oXSSH5zaJfzJO7PAOwkybOJOb239yqEwjcowLITql