1 2 3
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/10/16 11:16 a.m.

...And it's over $4k cheaper than a base Miata!

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/10/16 11:18 a.m.

Is that in your northern funny munny? Or $USD?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/10/16 11:19 a.m.

This could be a major problem. Undercut ND miata pricing enough to affect sales volume and the development and future of a NE generation becomes seriously in jeopardy.

java230
java230 HalfDork
3/10/16 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Brian:

USD real monies!

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
3/10/16 11:23 a.m.

Given Fiats' issues, as discussed in a previous thread, I'm not surprised they'd try to price it lower. Even though I know what the 124 really is, I still have a mental block when it comes to the thought of having a Fiat for a DD...or even a weekend toy that I'd spend good cash on. Right or wrong, my mental image of Fiat is that if I slapped a Fiat badge on a Corolla it would magically start to rust, the radio would stop working and it starts to leak oil...from the gas tank.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
3/10/16 11:23 a.m.

Doesn't the Fiat 124 Spider use a smaller engine? That would explain price difference.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/10/16 11:24 a.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

It uses the 1.4 turbo from the 500 Abarth, so it's actually more powerful and more tuneable than an ND.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
3/10/16 11:26 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: This could be a major problem. Undercut ND miata pricing enough to affect sales volume and the development and future of a NE generation becomes seriously in jeopardy.

And with that there is no reason for the Miata to exist anymore, better looking, better sounding and cheaper

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork

Smaller engine, weak player in the market, sketchy future ... and most buyers won't know it's really a miata chassis. I doubt they will make Mazda sweat even a little.

Although... my palms are a little sweaty just now.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork

$20k? Wow. That's kind of a big deal.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/10/16 11:32 a.m.

So I just read through the site. It looks like the Classica is the cheap one. Cloth seats, 16 inch wheels. It says electronic locking diff, is this real LSD or just brake silliness? This is a seriously exciting car for $20k.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/10/16 11:33 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Throw in some incentives and some haggling, and you could probably get one in a year for below $20k before tax.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/16 11:40 a.m.

There may have been an error on the site. Right now, it shows the 124 price as "Coming Summer 2016", and the MSRP of the 500c, Abarth and 500L is $00,000.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/10/16 11:42 a.m.

$20k is cheap. Young adult who wants to autocross cheap.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/10/16 11:43 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: There may have been an error on the site. Right now, it shows the 124 price as "Coming Summer 2016", and the MSRP of the 500c, Abarth and 500L is $00,000.

Dammit.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/10/16 11:44 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: There may have been an error on the site. Right now, it shows the 124 price as "Coming Summer 2016", and the MSRP of the 500c, Abarth and 500L is $00,000.

I don't think it was an error per se, as pricing for the other cars was accurate. I think it got leaked.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/10/16 11:45 a.m.

Update: It appears to be an error, as the price for it and the 500C are the same. Damn.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
3/10/16 11:47 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: This could be a major problem. Undercut ND miata pricing enough to affect sales volume and the development and future of a NE generation becomes seriously in jeopardy.

I'm going to make an assumption that Mazda stands to profit somehow from this relationship. If that's true, then every sale of a 124 is good for Mazda's bottom line.

trucke
trucke Dork
3/10/16 11:49 a.m.

So....the questionable quality issues have begun!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/10/16 11:53 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: Update: It appears to be an error, as the price for it and the 500C are the same. Damn.

They're still mucking with it. I've still got summer and the C Abarth and L have gone to zero. I'm crossing my fingers. Someone at Fiat is messing up this morning.

Edit: I'm back to summer and the rest of the prices look normal. I was briefly soooooooo hopeful.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/10/16 12:02 p.m.
trucke wrote: So....the questionable quality issues have begun!

Wiki states it's being built on the same line as the Miata in Hiroshima

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/10/16 1:49 p.m.
RossD wrote:

I would just question the FCA drivetrain.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/10/16 1:55 p.m.

Theoretically, sure. But really don't think the Miata pays for itself, anyway. Way to small a margin. If Fiat sells 50% more, that's only 5000 cars. Which has no impact on development dollars.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/10/16 2:28 p.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote:
And with that there is no reason for the Miata to exist anymore, better looking, better sounding and cheaper

I can't agree with you there. I find the ND to be much better looking, as I find the Fiat ungainly. It looks like it was thrown together with elements cobbled together to look like the original-- it's not ugly, but I find the ND much more original and attractive.

I do love the way that engine sounds in the Abarth 500, and who can complain about a lower price?! Bring it on Fiat!

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
3/10/16 2:45 p.m.
Brian wrote:
RossD wrote:
I would just question the FCA drivetrain.

The fwiw 1.4L should easily outlast a Miata engine, a 12 valve SOHC engine with an iron block and stout rotating assembly kind of remind you of that pesky Mazda engine that displaced .8L more and otherwise was unkillable.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pTc4EphSj4ua3VdRlU2dGdvInqBfpvV7M8McjRlBdHIKs8IR2LdarLTuSbw4SX76