1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/16 3:31 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: The fwiw 1.4L should easily outlast a Miata engine, a 12 valve SOHC engine with an iron block and stout rotating assembly kind of remind you of that pesky Mazda engine that displaced .8L more and otherwise was unkillable.

That's a completely random statement right there. There's nothing in either engine's fundamental design that should indicate potential lifespan.

And BTW, I think it's in the internet rules that you have to use "boat anchor" as a prefix to any mention of an iron block

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/10/16 3:46 p.m.

i wonder what the one with a LSD is going to cost, plus i wonder what USDM power is

It's shaping up favorably to me.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
3/10/16 3:49 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
WOW Really Paul? wrote: The fwiw 1.4L should easily outlast a Miata engine, a 12 valve SOHC engine with an iron block and stout rotating assembly kind of remind you of that pesky Mazda engine that displaced .8L more and otherwise was unkillable.
That's a completely random statement right there. There's nothing in either engine's fundamental design that should indicate potential lifespan. And BTW, I think it's in the internet rules that you have to use "boat anchor" as a prefix to any mention of an iron block

This is true, it is also true that the 1.4 has proven to be very tough. Last I heard eurocompulsion is still trying to blow one up....on purpose that is.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/10/16 3:51 p.m.

cool color

It's disappointing that all the colors are some kind of gray and they you have red and this blue is only a special edition

Keith Tanner
3/10/16 4:42 p.m.

So they carried that over from the Mazda too then. All the shades of grey you could possibly want. Remember when sports cars came in fun, bright colors?

EvanR
EvanR Dork
3/10/16 6:10 p.m.

To us, it might not be a valid comparison, but to ordinary folks a convertible is a convertible. No way this will MSRP for less than a 500c.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/10/16 6:37 p.m.

funny.. all my fiat 124s have been red or blue..

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/10/16 7:46 p.m.
EvanR wrote: To us, it might not be a valid comparison, but to ordinary folks a convertible is a convertible. No way this will MSRP for less than a 500c.

Which is why is was briefly very exciting.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
3/10/16 8:12 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
That's a completely random statement right there. There's nothing in either engine's fundamental design that should indicate potential lifespan. And BTW, I think it's in the internet rules that you have to use "boat anchor" as a prefix to any mention of an iron block
This is true, it is also true that the 1.4 has proven to be very tough. Last I heard eurocompulsion is still trying to blow one up....on purpose that is.

Need more info on this

NickD
NickD HalfDork
3/11/16 5:25 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: So they carried that over from the Mazda too then. All the shades of grey you could possibly want. Remember when sports cars came in fun, bright colors?

Yes. Because I have a sports car in smurf blue right out in my driveway. Japanese tuning shop LEG Sport has an ND that they painted in Mariner Blue and it looks amazing, why can't Mazda do that from the factory?

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
3/11/16 8:58 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: So they carried that over from the Mazda too then. All the shades of grey you could possibly want. Remember when sports cars came in fun, bright colors?

Ummm, Fifty Shades of Sports Car Grey...? Somebody should make that movie.

Keith Tanner
3/11/16 9:48 a.m.
NickD wrote:
Yes. Because I have a sports car in smurf blue right out in my driveway. Japanese tuning shop LEG Sport has an ND that they painted in Mariner Blue and it looks amazing, why can't Mazda do that from the factory?

I don't think the ND would look great in bright primaries like the NA did - the body shape doesn't lend itself as well to it. The color would hide the details in the shape. But something like Lexus Ultrasonic blue would look killer, showing off those chines and curves. If I buy an ND of my own, there's a very good chance I'll end up doing that.

The 124 might be better suited to the bright, solid colors.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/11/16 10:05 a.m.

frankly this color of blue needs to be available for me to want to buy this car.

I'm not buying a red or gray car no matter how good it is. I'm fairly disappointed here. Seriously what is wrong with them, how boring can they get? If I were buying now I would want that blue above or like racing green.

I'd consider the red only if it's like that two tone abarth colors like the original 124.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/11/16 10:15 a.m.

As long as the FM Ls3 swap works with the FIATA, not much else matters.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/11/16 10:18 a.m.

Yup, price has gone back to 'coming summer of 2016' I dont' see how this can be priced less than the Miata. Still can't wait to see the Abarth pricing.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
3/11/16 10:20 a.m.

I'm with Joe on the styling. Not bad, but definitely not an improvement on the ND which is much more forward thinking. Also, the proportions and lack of slope to the fenders make it look like the 124 is based off the NB. The motor is interesting though...

Same disappointment on the colors.

Anyone else hear an echo?

NickD
NickD HalfDork
3/11/16 10:21 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
NickD wrote:
I don't think the ND would look great in bright primaries like the NA did - the body shape doesn't lend itself as well to it. The color would hide the details in the shape. But something like Lexus Ultrasonic blue would look killer, showing off those chines and curves. If I buy an ND of my own, there's a very good chance I'll end up doing that. The 124 might be better suited to the bright, solid colors.

I dunno, looks pretty good to me.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
3/11/16 10:29 a.m.

I think in base form the Miata looks better than the base Spider, but I think the Abarth shown a couple of weeks ago really improved the Spider. The new nose really helps the car. The one thing I really dislike about the Abarth is the quad tail pipes, the damn car only needs one, maybe two for tyle, but three is just dick stocking.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
3/11/16 11:07 a.m.

Not all are my favorite color. But I'm glad they made them all. Wish Mazda would do something like this

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/11/16 11:09 a.m.
LuxInterior wrote: Not all are my favorite color. But I'm glad they made them all. Wish Mazda would do something like this

YES, this would be great.

Keith Tanner
3/11/16 11:18 a.m.

I often go to the Lotus color palette when looking for NB/ND Miata colors. We have one Laser Blue car in our fleet as well as a darker blue that's not in the above picture. I've also got a Chrome Orange Locost. Lotus has a tendency to use a lot of metal in their mixes, which highlights the shape of the little cars - they're rarely solid colors. Chrome orange, for example, has a bright yellow/gold highlight and Chili Red is an amazing color with gold highlights over Ardent Red. They'd look good on an ND, as the cars share similar body features.

BTW, when we had a Q&A with some of the Miata designers and stylists last October, they got HAMMERED for the color choices. I think it's fair to say the feedback has been passed along.

The smurf blue pops, but it doesn't accentuate the car's shape. Here's the Lexus blue on a car with similar curves and edges, look at how it highlights.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
3/11/16 11:28 a.m.

Exactly. The metal in the Lotus colors brings out the shape. The Elise in a solid (non metallic) like Ardent Red: not great. The body shape is lost in all of that solid color. I'd love to be able to walk into the Mazda dealer and order an ND in Lotus Laser Blue or Krypton Green.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
3/11/16 11:31 a.m.

I don't understand why more colors aren't available on most cars. Is it a cost thing? A marketing thing? Do they have to "license" each color somehow? Home Depot can mix paint into any color I want, why can't Mazda/Fiat/whoever?

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
3/11/16 11:34 a.m.

I'd take the fiat in white with red accents, or just take the abarth edition.

I'd put the ND very near the bottom in the looks category of every small two seat sports car ever made, so it doesn't really matter the color.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
3/11/16 12:05 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

I would guess it's a combination of line stoppage/color changeover time and cost, logistics of painting a bunch of parts for one car on a bunch of different paint lines so the color changeover is even more of a PITA, and a whole lot of "typical car buyers don't need more than 10 colors to choose from" supported by market research and junk. So we get a few boring colors and a few bold colors and that's it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9B3MNiqfFZwbGG0v9NW6pTrYOEGEwfDFc9vEol39OAibWiElsYQ4IfJw7Ii56X6I