1 2
Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
1/22/15 9:14 a.m.

Finally took the plunge and registered last night. $50 for the meal, shirt, lanyard, tours and an extra few bucks for a sticker and raffle tickets for more swag. I just missed the Spring event last year after I bought it in May, and had no time/$ for the Fall event.

Now I'm trying to get ahold of the host hotel (Tally Ho Inn?) but kept ringing last night, they supposedly have the whole place blocked off for Fiat owners. Otherwise I need to find nearby accomodations. I know the first time I went with friends I stayed in a Microtel in a nearby NC town (Robbinsville?) I'd prefer the main place to be with other owners, but we'll see what happens.

Anyone else going? April 10-12

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/22/15 10:01 a.m.

The road is a lot less exciting, in a good way, without commercial trucks on it now. I was down there on the 6th-8th of this month and it was by far the least crowded that I've ever found it.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/22/15 10:41 a.m.

Is this not limited to Abarths but rather open to all Fiats?
My fear in an Abarth would be getting stuck behind a trail of 500L's which should result in going through The Dragon at SUV speeds.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
1/22/15 10:53 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I'm pretty sure it's open to all Fiats. The signup had it broken into two groups for driving styles: Speedracer and DrivingMissDaisy. So maybe the DMD drivers will hit other roads instead while we take the Dragon. I figure in 3 days I can always go back and hit it again on my own.

Also managed a room at the host hotel (Tally Ho Inn). North side of Smokies. Should make it easy to get to the other drives as well, I've only taken part of one other. Rt 88 or something?

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
1/22/15 11:23 a.m.

"I'm pretty sure it's open to all Fiats."

Only new, or or old 500/600 Fiats?

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
1/22/15 11:36 a.m.

This would be great fun in a 124 spider!

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
1/22/15 11:50 a.m.

I think they had at least one X 1/9 in a previous event.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
1/22/15 11:55 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: The road is a lot less exciting, in a good way, without commercial trucks on it now. I was down there on the 6th-8th of this month and it was by far the least crowded that I've ever found it.

I've been to the dragon a few times and every time I went it was just covered in old people driving Harley Davidsons going at a snails pace. Found some better places since. The place is too popular for it's own good

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/22/15 12:13 p.m.

In reply to kanaric:

oh there are definitely some clearer stretches nearby to enjoy.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
1/22/15 12:39 p.m.

Yeah, this event has like 3-4-5 different routes planned over the weekend. Which is 1/2 the reason I want to go, explore other places. (But I'm looking forward to seeing other Abarth's that hopefully at least some have been modified and I can see first-hand what works and what to stay away from.)

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
1/22/15 1:02 p.m.

" . . . it was just covered in old people driving Harley Davidsons going at a snails pace."

And it's just gonna get worse, they're everywhere; their wives on the back are armed with cell phones and have nothing else to do but report you to the cops for trying to speed around the old $hitters ! ! !

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
1/22/15 1:08 p.m.

Kreb/berk! Cmon drag it across the country!

BeardedJag
BeardedJag New Reader
1/22/15 1:34 p.m.

I dont know why, but everytime I see look at this thread, I swear it looks like "Fist of the Dragon 2015". I know, not related to anything but figured I would chime in on something.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
1/22/15 2:09 p.m.

In reply to BeardedJag:

That's next weekend.

BeardedJag
BeardedJag New Reader
1/22/15 2:20 p.m.

In reply to ssswitch:

Oooooooh, makes sense.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/22/15 2:42 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: " . . . it was just covered in old people driving Harley Davidsons going at a snails pace." And it's just gonna get worse, they're everywhere; their wives on the back are armed with cell phones and have nothing else to do but report you to the cops for trying to speed around the old $hitters ! ! !

Don't forget the WindDingers pulling a trailer! Their wives are probably on their own trikes.

But I will admit on most roads I'd rather deal with motorcycle cruisers than the bicycle riders that think because they're wearing lyrca spandex, they're entered in the Tour De France. Nothing like meeting a group of guys at full pump going down hill on the wrong side of the road so they can run the STOP sign they know is at the base of the hill! That happens near here on a regular basis.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
1/22/15 3:35 p.m.

"But I will admit on most roads I'd rather deal with motorcycle cruisers than the bicycle riders . . ."

Agreed ! ! !

Gary
Gary HalfDork
1/22/15 3:56 p.m.

Agreed again!!!

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
4/9/15 12:42 p.m.

Leaving in 1hr 20min for home, pack up stuff including new SWMBO that decided she wanted to go, then host hotel hopefully by 9pm.

Tomorrow's forecast is 100% rain but I do not care.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/15 12:50 p.m.

Who put a CTS front end on their 500? Looks like a pretty good job.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
4/9/15 12:51 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: "But I will admit on most roads I'd rather deal with motorcycle cruisers than the bicycle riders . . ." Agreed ! ! !

Why? You can pass cyclists, legally. Only need 3 ft. of space. You can't pass a dude on a Harley.

Not all bicycle riders are the douche-bags that Rupert is describing above.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
4/9/15 2:23 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve: I think that's an ATS front end.

I think I'm going to attend the Tail of the Dragon Hillclimb this year, at least one day of it.

B. Choate
B. Choate GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/9/15 2:39 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: Kreb/berk! Cmon drag it across the country!

Would love to. Come on out and cover for me. Willya?

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
4/12/15 9:17 p.m.

Just got back a few hours ago. 4 runs on the Dragon, 1 with the group and 3 without. Friday morning with teh group was fun but the afternoon return alone was almost traffic free. Saturday early was similar but coming back late Saturday afternoon I finally got to see a semi! I'm curious how much his ticket was from Mr PoPo waiting for him about 1/2 way thru the route.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
4/12/15 9:18 p.m.

And we tried The Devil's Triangle this time. Parts of it were more wicked than the Dragon. Guy behind me said my back wheel caught air a few different times on the switchbacks.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fdfjwSrR0vMIK08AIJtQbMDz4ERiqfHWWEN70pvqxZ1PwbmUfN4tkbUW24F4qtun