1 2 3 4
Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
10/16/11 8:31 p.m.

For your theme, you need to paint the car white, get yourself a white racing suit, a pipe, and a black hat.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/16/11 9:36 p.m.

i read that article some where, very interesting. I wouldn't mind the car in white, but a paint job is not in the budget. I'm holding out for black parts for the replacement panels I need

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/16/11 10:09 p.m.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/pts/2638641201.html
Local to you in the right color with many parts left over to sell off.
Cool and somewhat rare Beretta rims

Gearheadotaku
10/16/11 10:22 p.m.

Paints cooked off it, too expensive.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/11 11:30 p.m.

Buy some foam rollers, blue tape, sand paper and some Rustoleum in the can. $50 and you've got a paint job.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
10/16/11 11:35 p.m.

Those Z24 Cavalier wheels look good on a Fiero.

Gasoline
Gasoline New Reader
10/17/11 8:40 a.m.

Neat car. What exhaust manifolds are on the motor?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/17/11 8:49 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Those Z24 Cavalier wheels look good on a Fiero.

needs moar ZQ8 Wheels...

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer Reader
10/17/11 9:24 a.m.

I had an 87 GT. I miss it. Good luck with the build.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
10/17/11 12:01 p.m.

I had a 88 Formula, I miss it a lot

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/17/11 1:20 p.m.

FWIW, my experience with mid engined cars and autocross is that they typically like big front anti-roll bars, a good bit of shock (rebound) in the front. Use just enough rear bar to be able to tune the handling between understeer and oversteer. More rear bar tends to increase wheelspin, even with a MR set-up.

Good luck!

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/17/11 2:06 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Brakes and clutch are working again! Took it for a few loops around the block and then started the dis-assembly work. Picture #2 is the drive for the water pump. Bizarre huh? Thats why I want to get an electric in here. Got a bonus at the junkyard this weekend, a scrape in the side of my Saturn. Some thoughtful soul felt it would look better with a bit of white paint from his car but didn't discuss it with me first. Imagine my surprise when I got back to my car Lucky for me it did "buff right out" Hurray for plastic cars!

thats a gilmore drive. The big city race cars use them to drive an alternator. Saves the weight of a tensioner

turboswede
10/17/11 2:14 p.m.

For AutoX, I'm kinda partial to Steve Hoelscher's tuning solution for MR cars.

on his DSP X-1/9 he ran no sway bars and 650f/600r springs.

He's done a similar solution on his MR-2.

Of course the issue is that for Challenge budgetary considerations, finding enough shock to control those springs is, um, tricky.

no sway bars allows for full use of the tire's lateral grip and the high spring rates still allow the car to transition quickly (also to compensate for the bad camber curve on his strut-based cars by limiting suspension movement)

Motorcycle shocks are a possible option.

Just a thought. Either way works as they are essentially two ways to skin the same cat.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
10/17/11 4:36 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Buy some foam rollers, blue tape, sand paper and some Rustoleum in the can. $50 and you've got a paint job.

or a harber freight hvlp during a sale, paper, tape, and some rustoleum or (my preference) valspar tractor paint from TSC for $30 a gallon. You're still around $50 and you'll have a much better paint job with less labor to make it look good. I have no idea why people roll paint on if they have a compressor that will run an hvlp.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/11 4:44 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: A true fastback would be fine, but not this 1/2 way converted thing. This is a real GT. Different 1/4 panels, taillights, and deck lid.

Although the true fastback is a pretty car (especially all in one colour), the hybrid look of what you have is distincitve and not without attraction. I'd leave it, after all, it is a bit of a bastard as it is.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
10/17/11 6:11 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote: For your theme, you need to paint the car white, get yourself a white racing suit, a pipe, and a black hat.

I think that is Smokey Unick. Wildly brilliant before his death. Not so much after.....

turboswede
10/17/11 6:33 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
turboswede wrote: Buy some foam rollers, blue tape, sand paper and some Rustoleum in the can. $50 and you've got a paint job.
or a harber freight hvlp during a sale, paper, tape, and some rustoleum or (my preference) valspar tractor paint from TSC for $30 a gallon. You're still around $50 and you'll have a much better paint job with less labor to make it look good. I have no idea why people roll paint on if they have a compressor that will run an hvlp.

Because it is less messy, uses less paint and the finish can turn out just as well.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
10/17/11 6:45 p.m.

You won't find black Fiero panels that haven't started to get clearcoat peeling on the horizontal surfaces, at least not in $201X budget. I can't remember the last time I saw a black one with OEM paint that was in good shape. With the lighter colors you get lucky occassionally, but not black.

Sincerely,

Guy who unsuccessfully sought decent used black Fiero parts for years

Gearheadotaku
10/17/11 7:22 p.m.
Gasoline wrote: Neat car. What exhaust manifolds are on the motor?

It has cast iron center dumps. (Rams horns as I was groomed to call them) They will be sold when I get them off. I plan to use L98 Corvette tubular manifolds instead. I'll save a little weight and hopefully get a few dollars back in the budget.

Gearheadotaku
10/17/11 7:24 p.m.

I think those are 16" Beretta GTU rims. They did make a very similar wheel for the Cavalier, but they were 15".

Gearheadotaku
10/17/11 7:26 p.m.
Blitzed306 wrote: I had a 88 Formula, I miss it a lot

I had one too. It was white, autocrossed it with great success for 3 years. Sold it for what I paid and bought a L82 Corvette.

Gearheadotaku
10/17/11 7:27 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

Those ZQ8 wheels are nice, but wrong bolt pattern.

Gearheadotaku
10/17/11 7:28 p.m.

In reply to ZOO:

You think it's a bastard now, wait till you drive it

Gearheadotaku
10/17/11 7:32 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: FWIW, my experience with mid engined cars and autocross is that they typically like big front anti-roll bars, a good bit of shock (rebound) in the front. Use just enough rear bar to be able to tune the handling between understeer and oversteer. More rear bar tends to increase wheelspin, even with a MR set-up. Good luck!

Spring / shock / bar shopping is under way... Thanks for the tip!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
10/17/11 9:18 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote:
I think those are 16" Beretta GTU rims. They did make a very similar wheel for the Cavalier, but they were 15".

I believe you are correct. I've seen them on Berettas, but usually Z26s. I saw that style on many Z24 Cavaliers.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f5njUq4xyJhrJZ2pEMCa0QfXBVRVGOjj2ibmwo2dmtuwSfAgvBG8vNioXv5bzuNU