David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/29/13 5:39 p.m.

I took a slightly different route home from work today--hey, it's nice out so I figured I'd take the coastal route--and passed a house with two Fieros in the driveway. Fancy.

series8217
series8217 New Reader
10/30/13 12:21 a.m.

Cool. Lots of nicely maintained and modified Fieros out there in Florida.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
10/30/13 2:57 a.m.

That would be a cool project car for the magazine ... (this is me making the peer pressure face _)

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/30/13 8:43 a.m.
DaewooOfDeath wrote: That would be a cool project car for the magazine ... (this is me making the peer pressure face _)

They should have bought the 500ci Caddy V8 one I had at the Challenge last year and made a project out of sorting it out properly.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
10/30/13 11:16 a.m.

For some reason I don't see nearly as many Fieros around as I used to - don't know where they have all gone.

If you ever want to buy one, look for a 1988 - the suspension is completely different from the earlier ones and much better (I owned both at the same time).

They have been subjected to many engine swaps, but I preferred to keep my original engine and turbo it (c. 300 BHP) which gives the same result.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/30/13 11:50 a.m.

After owning 4 of them, it's been tough to swear off doing another.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
10/30/13 11:51 a.m.
wspohn wrote: If you ever want to buy one, look for a 1988 - the suspension is completely different from the earlier ones and much better (I owned both at the same time). They have been subjected to many engine swaps, but I preferred to keep my original engine and turbo it (c. 300 BHP) which gives the same result.

There you go! a '88 with a turbo. That'd be a really neat project car!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
10/30/13 12:10 p.m.

There's a house near mine that has 2 Fieros as well, but one is up on TREE STUMPS in the yard. Cinder blocks apparently have fallen out of favor with the local rednecks.

In the same town, but up the street a bit, I spotted a really nice black 87-88 GT for sale last weekend. SWMBO would not let me stop to look. She knows better.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
10/30/13 12:14 p.m.

Oh, and there used to be a lady in my hometown that had a purple Fiero and an unbelievably spectacular Femullet. My friend's younger sister was friends with this woman's mullet spawn, so we got to see the car up close at least once a week. It was very special.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
10/30/13 12:29 p.m.

They tend to form in Fiero communes. Not sure why, but in the post-millenium time period most people who have had one have had more than one at a time.

Bryce

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
10/30/13 2:06 p.m.

I've had 3... all at the same time

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/30/13 2:42 p.m.

Mine were all at different times, though 2 were back to back. There was a 10+ year gap from 3 to 4.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine HalfDork
10/30/13 7:08 p.m.

Guy I know has 4 of them. And a tr6. And a 73 caddy. And a 90s olds cutless convertable. Amd an amf harley. Lol. Interesting guy.

series8217
series8217 New Reader
10/30/13 7:33 p.m.
wspohn wrote: For some reason I don't see nearly as many Fieros around as I used to - don't know where they have all gone.

They were VERY common in the junkyards in early 2000... not so much anymore. They're probably mostly off the road.

If you ever want to buy one, look for a 1988 - the suspension is completely different from the earlier ones and much better (I owned both at the same time).

Agreed. I wouldn't even consider an earlier car.

They have been subjected to many engine swaps, but I preferred to keep my original engine and turbo it (c. 300 BHP) which gives the same result.

The original engine does have some reliability issues when used at the track. Rod bearing oiling is a problem. A turbo can certainly make up for the poor flowing heads and intake though.

I took the engine swap route; 3.4 DOHC V6 from a Lumina Z34/Cutty Supreme/Grand Prix GTP, with a custom intake manifold I built:

The sound of this motor is sooooo awesome. Here's one of my videos, sound provided by a camera on the rear fascia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqBfEbYIXm8

60k miles on the motor and no issues besides some flywheel bolts backing out (my fault..).

Besides the intake manifold, it passes smog in California with a manual transmission. I just swap the stock intake back on for inspection. BAR recertfication sticker:

Powar
Powar SuperDork
10/31/13 7:23 a.m.

An early Fiero followed me for about 10 miles on my way to work this morning. Neat car, but I was cursing him for his headlights being aimed too high.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/31/13 9:24 a.m.

In reply to series8217:

that is BALLER!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1qP75mpmt1f03QoMFlxp0MyqCbkL7cnlXWMgqPcSKo6b38egcdWwUH5ukoKz66tV