1 2
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/14 1:28 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: Yep, without question 2doors win over more every single time. RWD wins over any other WD every single time. No contest at all.

Personal taste is a matter of opinion, and can never be correct or incorrect. Except for right now. Your opinions are wrong and also the kind of pizza you like is bad.

(dangit where is the facetious-comment smiley?)

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/30/14 1:34 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: If the twin's only had a non-subaru engine.

The early DI seals issue and idle issues have been fixed. And it has a staggeringly huge aftermarket full of quality parts.

Even stock with a tune the car is insanely fun to dry, and I average 28mpg on a mixed tank and typically in 33mpg range at 65-70 on the highway.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
12/30/14 1:45 p.m.

I lean toward the Focus ST over the Fiesta ST if it had to be my only car. If you haven't already, try to test drive all three.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
12/30/14 2:36 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
The early DI seals issue and idle issues have been fixed. And it has a staggeringly huge aftermarket full of quality parts. Even stock with a tune the car is insanely fun to dry, and I average 28mpg on a mixed tank and typically in 33mpg range at 65-70 on the highway.

It's hard to call any other aftermarket staggeringly huge after you've owned a Mustang.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
12/30/14 3:00 p.m.

Mustang

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/30/14 3:05 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Interesting. If the same car is available with 2 doors or 4 doors, I'll take the 4 door version every time.

I can't understand your flawed logic. I think you must have an abnormal gene in your DNA

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
12/30/14 3:11 p.m.
nderwater wrote: I lean toward the Focus ST over the Fiesta ST if it had to be my only car. If you haven't already, try to test drive all three.

This.

Also, you may want to note that per the Cars.com search I did this morning, you can pick up new Focus ST base models for $18.5-19k. Hard to beat that much car for that price

Knurled
12/30/14 3:16 p.m.
Cooper_Tired wrote: Also, you may want to note that per the Cars.com search I did this morning, you can pick up new Focus ST base models for $18.5-19k. Hard to beat that much car for that price

That's probably why it seems every secord or third Focus hatch I see is an ST.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
12/30/14 3:31 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Cooper_Tired wrote: Also, you may want to note that per the Cars.com search I did this morning, you can pick up new Focus ST base models for $18.5-19k. Hard to beat that much car for that price
That's probably why it seems every secord or third Focus hatch I see is an ST.

Could be. It's a very tempting bargain. It has me considering selling my 6 and foxbody to get one.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/30/14 3:31 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
The early DI seals issue and idle issues have been fixed. And it has a staggeringly huge aftermarket full of quality parts. Even stock with a tune the car is insanely fun to dry, and I average 28mpg on a mixed tank and typically in 33mpg range at 65-70 on the highway.
It's hard to call any other aftermarket staggeringly huge after you've owned a Mustang.

Notice I said QUALITY as well.

Coming from E30s and early Miata's, you really only had a few choices for quality parts. They are all cheap enough now the are flooded with eBay junk.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
12/30/14 6:08 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: split the difference, Frisbee twin

That's like saying splitting the difference between Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman would be to choose Rosie O'Donald.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
12/31/14 7:04 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
captdownshift wrote: split the difference, Frisbee twin
That's like saying splitting the difference between Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman would be to choose Rosie O'Donald.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/31/14 7:41 a.m.

I say to test drive both and then tell us why you picked one over the other. I haven't driven either of them.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
12/31/14 8:19 a.m.

It's funny how different these two cars are, yet I have found myself comparing these two cars myself.

I've wanted a Fiesta ST for awhile, and though I bought a mk6 Golf TDI as the responsible commuter for my 150 mile round trip to work, I keep coming back to the idea of offing it and hopping on a Fiesta ST.

Something about a hot hatch that just ticks the boxes for me.

I like the comparison above, that "as packaged" the Fiesta ST is more raw/light/tossable right out of the box. The Mustang is a great platform, but will take mods/money to be as fun.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/31/14 8:26 a.m.

I personally didn't care for the mustang all that much. I drove the GT performance pack version and it felt all over the place. The funny thing is that the dealer took me down a bumpy road to show how the IRS made the car so much better. It actually made the car feel worse because you could feel all of the mass and the under sprung chassis.

I guess driving sub 3K LBS sports cars for the last 10 years has ruined me. But on the bright side, It's causing me to give more love to my MR2 and making it a better car :)

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
12/31/14 8:31 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Interesting. If the same car is available with 2 doors or 4 doors, I'll take the 4 door version every time.

You are not the only one.

I will take a 4 door hatch every time over a 2 door.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/31/14 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

well the original comparison was spaghetti squash to pineapple, so...

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/31/14 10:07 a.m.
NGTD wrote:
You are not the only one. I will take a 4 door hatch every time over a 2 door.

You're weird. I'd rather get hit in the head with a frying pan...or have my fingernails pulled off with pliers.

But what you like is what you like, I just wish I had the choice. They make them for other markets but we're stuck with the old man version for practical people.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/31/14 12:18 p.m.

I've always kind of gravitated to the most useful/capable version of any platform as far as body style.

Over time i've noticed that for the smallish cars i like, the 4 dr version usually weighs less than 100 lbs more than the 2dr version, and if there's a wagon it's another 100-200 lbs on top of that. A car that is ALL about handling might be bothered by that (although the Fiesta ST clearly is not!), but for street use it's usually pretty easy to offset ~200 lbs with power and it just makes the cars so much more useful.

Knurled
12/31/14 12:45 p.m.

But the 4 door versions usually have stiffer bodies because the holes in the shell are smaller. Also, the doors weigh less so the hinges won't wear out and sag and cause all sorts of problems so fast.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/31/14 12:58 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I've always kind of gravitated to the most useful/capable version of any platform as far as body style. Over time i've noticed that for the smallish cars i like, the 4 dr version usually weighs less than 100 lbs more than the 2dr version, and if there's a wagon it's another 100-200 lbs on top of that. A car that is ALL about handling might be bothered by that (although the Fiesta ST clearly is not!), but for street use it's usually pretty easy to offset ~200 lbs with power and it just makes the cars so much more useful.

Agreed, but the differences are usually much much less than 100lbs. When the SC2 and SL2 shared the same wheelbase, the SL2 was always lighter. The wagon was ~50lbs heavier than sedan.

I know for the 2.5RS the difference is something like 10lbs coupe-sedan and I've heard similar numbers for E36 BMWs.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ti9FiywHVCKE0NDkESfzDrJ6fkLOuRJ3oLzULXfnnesNeBn4y1O9XU2Qb02V8Lew