Steven Cole Smith
Steven Cole Smith Contributor
2/13/18 3:28 p.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Not many of us have the opportunity to watch ourselves nearly die, but Memo Gidley does. And he has. He’s seen the video–from the side, from above, from the rear–of his number 99 Gainsco Chevrolet Corvette …

Read the rest of the story

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
2/13/18 5:02 p.m.

I can only aspire to be so determined to get back to on track after a serious accident. 

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/13/18 5:39 p.m.

I was standing 200 feet from the point of impact and watched it all unravel in horrific slow motion. i doubt he ever saw the stalled Ferrari, Gidley ducked out from behind another slower car to pass and the stationary vehicle was just there.

Will
Will UltraDork
2/13/18 6:02 p.m.

Much respect to Gidley, Zanardi, Ernie Irvan, and other racers who had the will to come back from such awful crashes and strap themselves back into a racecar.

Matt_Corrie
Matt_Corrie
2/14/18 8:39 a.m.

he is a Racer, to the highest order.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/14/18 9:29 a.m.

Memo is also a heck of a nice guy.  He called the office the other day (to thank SCS for the story) and I was lucky enough to answer the phone.   He's certainly one of the "good guys" in our sport!    And once again Steven Cole Smith nails it!   I just love this line.........

"From the vantage point Gidley had, no driver in the world, except perhaps for Vin Diesel, could have avoided Malucelli."   

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
2/14/18 10:30 a.m.

Wow. I am really impressed with this. I was in a testing crash at Summit Point in 2000 and broke my neck and left arm. While I, too, was able to return the scene of the crime, the corner where I managed to run out of talent haunts me on every lap. I wince at that corner in iRacing! The idea that Gidley was able to ignore it and drive speaks to the difference between a true professional and a piker like me.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
2/14/18 11:19 a.m.

I remember watching it happen on TV. I didn't think there was any way someone could survive that. Great to see him getting back in the car.

If you guys haven't already, listen to his Dinner with Racers podcast. It is really good.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EpTPtBZ49iAZfQLymBbkUISYiMJdhkfMvT4TDEUmd1QdIJpOQCn9lzBXMmbdsIpS