1 2 3
fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
1/19/17 12:18 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
keethrax wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Ever looked at our lineup of parts for the ND? It's almost all chassis and brakes. We're looking at the engine, but we're really a handling company that happens to sell power adders.
I have. And the site basically just says "we're working in it" Not "you don't need/want it."
Need and want are two very different things People want more, we'll have more available for them soon enough. Do they need more? Probably not. But it's fun. As noted, I'd rather have even more character from the engine myself. MSRP in Canada for the Toyota 86: $29,580. MSRP in Canada for the Miata: $31,900. Nohome needs to get a second opinion from a different dealer.
You mean that MSRP has something to do with the actual price? Please tell the Tete du Merde sales guys at Probart Mazda that little fact. I was informed that the FRS is not the competition for the Miata, rather the Mercedes SLK. I will admit to not being a negotiator. I put what I consider to be my buy price as the only number and then go away. In the case of the Miata it was the MSRP. Needless to say I am still driving the FRS. As a fan of capitalism, all I can say is if they are selling, more power to them.

Also don't forget that the base Miata is pretty bare and doesn't include some nice things like LSD and 17" wheels. For that, you have to step up to the GS model with a MRSP that start at $37707.

And like NOHOME said, good luck finding one for that price. The FRS/BRZ on the other hand, I can easily find below MRSP.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
1/19/17 12:48 p.m.
Ironsides wrote: Coincidentally, on the same day this article launched , I took home my '17

Nice!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/23/17 8:30 a.m.
Ironsides wrote: Coincidentally, on the same day this article launched , I took home my '17

Congratulations! And great color choice.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
1/23/17 10:57 a.m.

For the record, website pricing all in, not including tax is ~$31.4k FSR vs. 33.8k Miata in arctic peso currency. (we typically earn similar numbers in a lower value currency) No LSD in the miata at that price, it takes closer to $38k to get one.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
1/23/17 4:03 p.m.

That's really nice, Ironsides! Congrats!

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
1/23/17 11:51 p.m.

When comparing NC Miatas and Frisbees a year and a half ago, the twins had already started depreciating really quickly. Miatas started around the same MSRP, but the twins were $2-4K less expensive. I just preferred the NC's shifter feel, appearance, and steering. I can't wait to flatten out the NC's cornering; then it will be close to perfection.

thebigchill
thebigchill New Reader
1/30/17 11:05 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: You don't need to point back 25 years to the original Miata. The current one is also light with relatively low power levels. You know, dull and boring. Everyone knows that

Do you not have an LS swapped ND? Do you not continue to offer power-adders? Do you own a single stock powertrain Miata? I currently drive (for fun) a Gen 4 3SGTE swapped '93 MR2 w/ ~315hp. Before that, I had a typical bolt-on and tuned Mazdaspeed Miata, and before that, a litany of old SR20DE and DET Nissans. I get that lightweight w/ lower power can be fun. But I also believe that a modern driving machine like the BRZ should not have such a wide gap between its HP and TQ numbers (205 vs 155). It's boring to drive unless you're revving it out and weaving through the twisties. The power delivery is a complete bore as a daily driver, or even as a weekend car if you're on anything other than grin-inducing roads. The BRZ is boring like the Civic Si is boring, though the BRZ's saving grace is it's cornering prowess.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/30/17 11:48 a.m.

In reply to thebigchill:

You must have driven a different car than I've been driving. The FR-S has never felt slow or boring to me. I rarely go above 4,500rpm, and am almost always first off the line at a stop. Doesn't sound like the 86 is for you.

BTW, don't ride a sport bike. The horsepower to torque ratios are lopsided on those, too and they are no fun.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TGeBEDoBviCYggTNgKxH835E4N9m0sVZ5043A7Hk2ACjWR3jM4svyGIppI3gOhzP