1 2 3 4
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/15/16 12:44 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
mad_machine wrote:
T.J. wrote: The 124 looks a little generic and plain to me where the ND at least looks different. I'll have to see one in person. I like the ND better in person than in photos and that might be the same with the 124. The only real complaint I can make about the styling is the dumb windshield surround not being body color.
I see it the other way around. The Miata looks too much like a mishmash of other car's parts. The 124 is a "thoughtful" (not slavish) nod back to the original 124 spider.
I agree. The Miata is dumpy and disproportionate. The Fiat is well thought out. And I love the fact that as everything gets bigger in it's class, the Fiat is about the same size as the original:

the original 124 was a rather large car for the time it was designed. Not American car large. but wider and longer than it's competition, the MGB and Triumphs. I dare say it was even wider than the 911 (original SWB) and definitely bigger than the Karman Ghia

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/15/16 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Chris_V and mad_machine:

Yes, there are certainly nods. I'm not arguing that there are not. I am just saying, when I see the new car it looks more like an NB/NC/S2K than an original 124 to me. Styling is nothing if not subjective.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/16 2:39 p.m.

Color me shocked that the new 124 is that close in size to the old 124. I didn't realized the old one was that "big." Always thought they were the same size as MG or something. The new 124's styling makes it look way bigger than the ND when there no scale in the photo.

mad_machine
6/15/16 3:22 p.m.

here we go:

Fiat Spider (original)
Width: 63.5 inches
Length: 156.25 inches
Height: 49.25 inches

MGB Roadster
Width: 60 inches
Length: 153 inches
Height: 48 inches

Porsche 911 SWB
Width: 63.4 inches
Length: 163.9 inches
Height: 52 inches

Fiat 124 Spider (New)
Width: 68.5 inches
Length: 159.6 inches
Height: 48.5 inches

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
6/15/16 6:35 p.m.

I wonder how the TR4 and TR6 compares. The early 911 was definitely bigger, though.

Still a small car by any real standards, especially modern ones.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader
6/15/16 7:02 p.m.

TR6 Width: 61 inches Length: 155.5 inches Height: 50 inches

A TR6 is a pretty narrow car. I'm surprised the MGB is narrower. Lengthwise it isn't so small, but it has that longish rear overhang. Seeing any of these cars parked with a group of modern "normal" sized cars is amusing. It's also frightening that I drive mostly cars of this size.

mad_machine
6/15/16 7:30 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: here we go: Fiat Spider (original) Width: 63.5 inches Length: 156.25 inches Height: 49.25 inches MGB Roadster Width: 60 inches Length: 153 inches Height: 48 inches Porsche 911 SWB Width: 63.4 inches Length: 163.9 inches Height: 52 inches Fiat 124 Spider (New) Width: 68.5 inches Length: 159.6 inches Height: 48.5 inches

Decided to have some fun:

NA Miata:

Width: 65.9 inches
Length: 155.5 inches
Height: 48.2 inches

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/16/16 6:31 p.m.

Went to check out the Fiata in the flesh (metal?) today at the local Fiat/Alfa dealer.

Did not like.

For comparison stopped by the Mazda dealer too. The Miata looks SOOOO much better to my eyes.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/16/16 8:41 p.m.

In reply to mblommel:

Interesting. Which did you prefer before you saw each in person?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/16 8:23 a.m.

Call it a matter of taste. There is no right answer, you either prefer a modern shape or a retro one.

Choice is good.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
7/17/16 8:24 a.m.

I've seen both ion the fleash and driven the Mazda for a couple of hours. I like the styling of both (maybe the Fiat a little better), but both have some elements that don't quite look right. Both need larger diameter wheel and tire combos, or a slight lowering. From some angles, typically a low angle, the Fiat looks a little large for its wheelbase. The curvature of the Miata front fenders looks "off" in relation to the wheel and wheel opening to me. Both are rather minor complaints. I'll test drive both before I buy one next year,assuming I hear positive results for the Miata's manual transmission failures. If I had to buy right now I'd probably go with the Fiata.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NaWios8q133cKJWnOA5LAkNEdG1PT8w4m81VDtolX1NoVJljc7Lbtcn8WoE8D5HU