1 2
02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
4/17/14 7:26 a.m.

I'm flying down Friday and I'll be at the track Saturday and Sunday with a buddy who lives in the area. I'm planning to take a lot of photos (one of my primary purposes in going), so it would be good to have some idea in advance of spots that might offer good picture opportunities. FWIW, no super-long lenses - just a 200, along with 35/50/90 primes - so some spot in a tree half a mile away won't work.

Beyond that, what should we be seeing and doing at the track? Neither of us has been before. How's access to the paddock? What are the key corners to watch? We've got the VIP package tickets if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any suggestions, and I hope to see you there!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/14 8:21 a.m.

You need to stop by the Flyin' Miata tent and say hi! Access to the paddock is pretty much 100% open, so it's a great place to see a wide variety of race tech from slightly out of date Le Mans LMP cars to greats like the 956. Can't help with the best corners to watch, someone else will have to take care of that.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
4/17/14 8:50 a.m.

The best places to watch are:

Turn 5 (head from the infield road intersection to the big bathroom, keep walking until you are right on the outside of turn 5.

6 and 7. It's a good place to see some passing along the 5-6 straight and out of turn 7.

Outside of 10b. Huge area with concrete stadium seating. You'll need to get outside the track, but thankfully there's a bridge right there. You'll see the cars fly in through the trees, hit the braking zone, run through the gears, and snake their way to turn 11.

Other good spots are anything that will let you see the front straight, the pits (of course), and the hill that contains 2 and 3.

travellering
travellering New Reader
4/17/14 8:55 a.m.

Adding in as a soon to be second time attendee, pay attention for theopen touring laps. I had a blast last time, and it helped me get a feel for where the action will be. Keep an eye open for the goober with a Canon bag driving a blue and white classic mini wagon, that'll be me...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/17/14 8:58 a.m.

Look for Steve (aussiesmg) and me camping out of Steve's van.

Steve looks quite similar to the guy on the right. I look more like the guy on the left (though slightly more handsome.) They guy in the middle, Sean, will not be present though he has in the past.

If you are not familiar with red Georgia Clay, bring a pair of shoes that you dont care about because if it gets wet out, the shoes will never be the same.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/17/14 9:12 a.m.

What ???? No Mongo?

Keith Tanner
4/17/14 9:45 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: If you are not familiar with red Georgia Clay, bring a pair of shoes that you dont care about because if it gets wet out, the shoes will never be the same.

And it WILL get wet. I don't think I've ever been to the Mitty without a massive downpour at some point to liven things up.

pirate
pirate Reader
4/17/14 2:07 p.m.

Turn 1 viewed from the support paddock area can be interesting especially on the starts. 10A is great watching cars brake after pretty much a downhill straight away.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/17/14 2:55 p.m.

Speaking of, access to the paddock is pretty dern good. Some of my favorite photos each year inevitably come from wandering around down there.

Michelle and I are bringing the Mazda 5 and a tent on Friday. Probably be camping near the sketchy dudes in the black kidnapper van.

John, you guys landing around turns 2-4 again?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/17/14 6:52 p.m.

Yes, likely turns 2-4 again.
You think the van looks sketchy? If so, I hadn't noticed.
Be sure to send your wife around for some of the free candy we will have at the van. Maybe send her over while you are out getting a sandwich for yourself.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/18/14 7:21 a.m.

A word of advice - be careful, she's a biter and watch for the left hook.

I think we'll probably be taking the 5 on some parade laps if anybody wants to clown-car the thing. Should be the usual shenanigans. Maybe this time Mike's Integra won't leak water like a incontinent dog all the way around.

Speaking of, is Poop coming? (that one is wide open, I know)

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
4/18/14 8:22 a.m.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be wandering around the place for two days, so hopefully I'll manage to meet everyone at some point. I'll be the tallish skinny guy with a beard carrying a black and gray Timbuk2 messenger bag and a couple of old cameras.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
4/18/14 8:44 a.m.

My Son and I brought mountain bikes last time. It was a great way of covering a lot of ground.

Joe Severns
Joe Severns Marketing & PR Director
4/18/14 8:55 a.m.

The weather forecast for Road Atlanta next weekend looks good: Weather Report

Check out the Mitty Website for a list of goings on. There will be a LOT to see for sure.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/18/14 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Matt B:
I will guess that your comment of "biting" was intended to ward me off rather than increase my interest like it did.

I will take you up on the chance to roll with the Mazda5 Mafia since my Mazda5 will remain home with my wife.

Good question on Mike. I am not sure if he plans to attend but if he does and if he brings the CTS-V, I'm gonna try to get a lap in that too!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/18/14 9:24 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: What ???? No Mongo?

Without Mongo this year.
Travel with the beast is a major undertaking. With just two of us coming, we would be understaffed since we will not have the resident diesel mechanic onboard.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/18/14 11:34 a.m.

It's gonna rain. It always rains. I love The Mitty.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/18/14 12:30 p.m.

I almost forgot Mike got the CTS-V...

Looks like it's time for some good ol'fashioned PEER PRESSURE!!!

Keith Tanner
4/18/14 12:37 p.m.

If you're bringing a Miata, you get to park for free in the infield! Just say you're going to be in the Flyin' Miata corral when you pull up to the ticket booth.

For the parade laps, all Miatas with Flyin' Miata windshield banners will get ushered to the front of the line. Yup, no chance of getting stuck behind, say, a Mazda5 that's doing a clown car imitation.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/18/14 12:43 p.m.

So, you don't think I can convince them I have a morbidly obese Miata?

Also, I think Keith doubts my willingness to dive-bomb every turn at Road Atlanta with 5 smelly dudes and one awesome lady riding shotgun. I've been practicing!

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Online Editor
4/18/14 12:44 p.m.

The Mitty is probably my favorite event.

I shot the photo below (and other really good ones from that same spot) when I was at Road Atlanta for the ARRC.

That's near the end of the front straight, just before the braking zone. I shot with a 200mm lens. I found this spot where there's a break in the fence and wall and I could snap usually one or two photos as the cars went by that gap. If you check out this map in satellite view, you can see the gap that I'm pretty sure I shot through:

https://goo.gl/maps/lv08x

I, unfortunately, won't be at The Mitty this year.

Keith Tanner
4/18/14 12:54 p.m.
Matt B wrote: So, you don't think I can convince them I have a morbidly obese Miata? Also, I think Keith doubts my willingness to dive-bomb every turn at Road Atlanta with 5 smelly dudes and one awesome lady riding shotgun. I've been practicing!

It'll be easy to convince us it's an obese Miata - just drop the top!

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
4/18/14 1:00 p.m.

It has a hard-top and I'm an important upstanding gentleman who hath not the time to remove it for doubters and scoundrels.

Keith Tanner
4/18/14 1:22 p.m.

Tell you what, if you can convince the guys at the gate that it's a Miata, we'll let you into the corral. You can park in the very back, down the hill by the trees.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/18/14 1:36 p.m.

Weather looks good so far! And contrary to popular opinion, it doesn't always rain at the Mitty. We had a rain-free event a couple of years ago and it was glorious! Hopefully this year the weather treats us well. We've done more pre-event promotion this year than ever before. If the forecast holds, it should be a fantastic event!

Parade and Touring laps will take place each day during the lunchtime break. The Parade laps are free to all, (after you sign up at the GRM/ CMS tent ) and a great way to get a driver's perspective of the track. Even though speeds are strictly restricted during the laps, it's still a lot of fun to get out there.

Come on out! You won't regret it--- the Mitty is a great event, one of my favorites of the year.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d65Edqxt8fofxV2XxUslAXcHRBVoQersOW9rPDcNI31OFeAqkZAe9zaFjkrT9G7L