1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/18/14 2:09 p.m.

Joe, I've never been able to find this out. What's the difference between parade laps and touring laps?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/18/14 2:45 p.m.

Keith,

Touring laps are sold through HSR for $30-$40. For the extra dough you get a few more laps than the Parade laps, (usually 5-7 laps) and speeds can be a bit higher--- depending on car count. (more cars-- slower speeds). These are still not "hot laps", but a little brisker than the Parade lap pace.

The Parade Laps are free (once you sign up at the GRM tent) and are a little shorter and slower. We generally get 3-4 laps-- depending on time. Speeds are marginally slower (depending on car count) , but you can still have fun clipping apexes, and viewing the track from a driver's perspective. Also if there are time constraints due to on-track crashes or excessive caution periods, the Parade Laps are the first to get shortened-- as they are free.

Either way it's great to get out onto the track--- it gives you a much greater respect for those doing it at speed---- especially coming down the hill towards turn 12!

Once again I'll be the "chase" car following the pack from the rear--- making sure you hooligans don't drag race, pass, or act like asshats. And yes--- we've thrown people out before.

If everyone behaves, everyone has fun. If someone puts themselves above everyone else by acting like a jerk--- they get beat with the Susan Hammer---- and you don't want to mess with HSR's Susan! We want everyone to have a good time. If folks "accordion" too much, they ruin the laps for the guys behind them, so we try to make sure a decent pace is kept up--- -also, if everyone behaves, the pace car driver will pick up the pace considerably!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
4/18/14 5:14 p.m.

The touring laps are awesome and is the way to go.

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
4/25/14 5:45 a.m.

I'll be on the plane in a few hours on my way down. I'll be at the track tomorrow and Sunday, so I hope to see you all there.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/25/14 7:47 a.m.

See you there. Make sure you stop by and say hi.

jde
jde Reader
4/25/14 10:45 a.m.

Share lots of pics after the weekend! The Mitty lingers for at least another year on my gearhead to-do list. :-)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rcSnqYCLywlV5oIbsW5GjSAAZ1Hv98arfvZ6vwg2yUvkBiGKNfDl14dLWqqXv532