JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/22/22 4:31 p.m.

It feels awkward referring to our 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo as an “older” car. After all, we still remember it winning our Editors’ Choice award as the best new car back when it came out. That we drove that first mid-engine turbo Toyota more than 30 years ago seems fairly absurd, yet here we are.

So when our MR2 needed …

Read the rest of the story

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/22/22 4:44 p.m.

When we bought the MR2, it wore a set of Derpmaster 3000 alloys, likely bought via some Balkan eBay pirate clone site that stole everyone’s credit card number after it sent them crappy wheels. Sure, the wheels were ugly, but they seemed to be of suspect quality as well. 

I lulzed at this. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/22/22 6:37 p.m.

Those do look really nice.  This has me reconsidering bronze wheels for my new Civic.  They do look great with red.  That combo is almost perfect on the MR2.  I hope they drive incredible too.  How much weight did your car gain per corner? 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/22 6:44 p.m.

Why isn't there a site that sells bunches of wheels by diameter, width, bolt pattern, and offset?

I know there are wheels out there to fit my 2nd gen rx7 in a 15 x 9 or 15 x10, but I can't find them.  I'm running jegs wheels instead...

Coupefan
Coupefan Reader
6/23/22 1:20 p.m.

You're just called a 1990s vehicle old. I think I'm going to have a miserable day today.  Thanks. 

RobMason
RobMason New Reader
6/24/22 1:47 p.m.

Try finding Autocross/Track tires for a 1957 MGA with 15x4 wheels.

Ended up going with 2006 Hyundai Sonata 16x6 alloys with Hankook 205/55/16 tires. Did a lot of fitment calculations and simulations to find a tire size that fit, was available, and was still close to stock diameter for driving to and from events.

2006 Hyundai Sonata wheels

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/24/22 7:23 p.m.
RobMason said:

Try finding Autocross/Track tires for a 1957 MGA with 15x4 wheels.

Ended up going with 2006 Hyundai Sonata 16x6 alloys with Hankook 205/55/16 tires. Did a lot of fitment calculations and simulations to find a tire size that fit, was available, and was still close to stock diameter for driving to and from events.

2006 Hyundai Sonata wheels

Let's hear it for the MGA! Hoping to see it with the new engine soon.

miatafan
miatafan GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/25/22 1:47 p.m.

Fitment Industries has a pretty good selection of wheels

JG Pasterjak
6/25/22 6:59 p.m.
Coupefan said:

You're just called a 1990s vehicle old. I think I'm going to have a miserable day today.  Thanks. 

I drove my first MR2 Turbo as a press loaner if that makes you feel any better.

JG Pasterjak
6/25/22 7:00 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Those do look really nice.  This has me reconsidering bronze wheels for my new Civic.  They do look great with red.  That combo is almost perfect on the MR2.  I hope they drive incredible too.  How much weight did your car gain per corner? 

Those old wheels were made from recycled Bosnian tanks I think. Weight was essentially the same. Lighter in the front even I think. I'll look up my numbers.

MauryH
MauryH GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/6/23 3:11 p.m.

That car looks great! How did you get that old (?) paint so shiny?

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/6/23 4:33 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Why isn't there a site that sells bunches of wheels by diameter, width, bolt pattern, and offset?

I have been struggling with this for my MB as well. I think I might just go for diamond if I go for a bigger wheel package.

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/index.php/component/virtuemart/diamond/diamond-custom-wheel-detail?Itemid=0

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/6/23 5:00 p.m.
miatafan said:

Fitment Industries has a pretty good selection of wheels

Just be careful, if it's not a known name brand, the rest is gravity cast, knock off stuff of questionable provenience.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6OyJduTfLDIFTTdhIviRbJbfANFuskK4XTOuyPTlgoMP2s75Vxh68AWXzYZYCq0W