steronz
steronz Reader
11/27/19 9:03 a.m.

I posted previously about my free-as-in-beer 96 GSR with plastidip issues, I'm now debating what to do with it.  My plan was just to make it as presentable as possible and sell it for whatever I could get, but it's got a few mechanical issues that came to a head yesterday:

- The clutch stick sometimes, with the pedal down it will stay engaged
- The start solenoid sometimes doesn't work

In addition
- It's due for a timing belt
- I'm afraid to look at the suspension and steering components, I know tie rods and LCAs are probably toast

I've got about $500 in it now, and I can spend $1000 or so fixing all of this stuff over the winter, honestly it sounds kinda fun to me, but at the end of the day I'll have a 231k mile 23-year-old Honda in "decent" shape, nothing that would end up on BaT by any means.

Financially, is there any way I'd recoup any of the money I put into it?

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
11/27/19 9:07 a.m.

Is it actually a clutch problem or just hydraulics?   Fix that if it's easy... Junk yard starter... And sell?

steronz
steronz Reader
11/27/19 9:20 a.m.

I don't believe it's hydraulics, it feels like the disk is binding on the shaft.  PO, my buddy, replaced the slave cylinder and flushed it all and the problem didn't go away.  At this point I need to drop the trans to figure it out I'm pretty sure.

I never planned on doing the timing belt even though it's due but I figure if I have it up on jackstands in the garage of the winter it's not a huge task.

Hard to find GSRs in u-pull-its now...

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
11/27/19 9:38 a.m.

If you've already done what you can to make it presentable enough and replaced easy and cheap suspension/brake bits, list it for double of what you'd expect and take anything that's above?

At least, that's my plan w/ the E30. Replaced just about everything on the front suspension, prettied up the trim with black trim paint, new tires on the rear, and new brakes on the front. Also minor, miinnooorrr engine work to kinda sorta take care of a vacuum leak. Still gonna ask double than what I expect to see.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/27/19 10:20 a.m.

So, you have $500 into it and it needs $1,000 more.  When all done it wont be worth much more than the $1,500 you have into it. 

Maybe you can sell it for $2,500 when done.  This makes you $1,000 profit but if you have 30 hours into the job pays about $33 per hour.  If you can't make at least that then just cut and run.  Instead, sell the dream of what it could be.  Ask $900, take anything over $500 and make a quick profit per hour invested.  

TGMF
TGMF Reader
11/27/19 10:32 a.m.

Not sure on the Integra's but I had trans removal on my prelude down to 1 hour.  The entire clutch job with flywheel swap takes about 3 hours start to finish.  Timing belt isn't that scary either. starter will already be out so take that apart and clean/ repair/ swap JY parts. If the car is visually semi pleasing, fix it then spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning and see how you feel about the suspension later.  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
11/27/19 2:12 p.m.

Starter solenoid contacts are replaceable in those Honda starters, and that is all that fails. Easy peasy, and dealer sells re-man starter for hundreds....

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/27/19 5:35 p.m.

Part it out.

Wait, sell it to me. Where are you? I'm only half kidding.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/28/19 8:26 a.m.

Sell it now.  Time isn't free.

Nugi
Nugi Reader
11/28/19 2:12 p.m.

I would pay more than 700 all day for a running gsr if it still has the b1xc, manual trans is gravy. No idea where you are but hmu if you just want out. 

A full suspension rebuild can be done cheapish (400-2000 depending on quality), but takes a bit of work, and alignment, and a bit of time depending on how long its been together. Double wishbone bushings add up, but are nice when done.

Timing belt kits are around 100 from a good company. Gates are considered best, but most will do fine as long as tensioner isnt crap. Do the water pump and any suspect seals while you are at it. Be sure to inspect the crank pulley/harmonic balancer as many are starting to break down or get shattered from hitting torque arms after lowering/offroading. OEM, ATI, or a Professional Products one will keep your oil pump happy. I'd advise against the solid alloy ones. Timing takes a couple hours if you are informed going in. Line up the arrows before removing belt, and youre good to go. 15 bucks gets ya a cam gear lock online if you want to make it easy. Remember to adjust the valves and set the timing afterward. 

Me? I'd keep, but most maybe should punt. Parting out will sell the engine, trans, speedo, ecu and seats, rest is same as any other integra/civic and will end up scrap. 

Gsrs have not commanded much value yet even as type r's soar. While that might soon change, it will be for the cleanest ones. Ymmv. Gl!

Fitz
Fitz GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/28/19 9:26 p.m.

Honestly best bet for recouping now is to part it. Engine and trans should be at least $1k and you can get more if you separate stuff out further. E.g. OEM vtec distributors are 2-300 bucks on eBay regardless of miles. 
if you put money into it you're best bet for recouping is probably still going to be parting it and your numbers aren't going to be much better than if at all compared to doing it now. 
That said they're fun cars and make excellent track rats. I'm in the process of changing out a bunch of suspension on a 95 gsr that's going to be a track car.

If you're just concerned with the financial element get out now, 231k is too many miles for it to ever be worth more than 2.5k if it's otherwise perfect, and selling a vtec Honda sucks so bad. If you're looking at it as a project and a potential cheap entry into a fun car go for it.

I would be murdered by my SO but I'd be interested in it if you want to cut bait. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/19 9:58 p.m.

Add me to the list of interested if you want out 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tOlaQ8plCCvTnN9dUUUVqPBMxRnX0CsAF2Ut5WQ9IGSVGOQG4MC82pGq5zGZvCr5