eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/9/21 4:34 p.m.

I suppose this also could count for an oil cooler as well.  I have a 4L80E in a project, and there is very limited space in the transmission tunnel.   The standard quick disconnect lines don't fit, and I was unable to bend one to fit, so I picked up a AN conversion fitting, and some 90 degree fittings.  The fitting I may have the most clearance with is a pretty hard 90 degree turn.  Is that possibly going to cause a problem with fluid flow in and out of the transmission?  If I can use a milder turn, I will.  I have no idea how fast the fluid actually gets pumped through the system.  If it's not too fast, I'd assume there won't be any problems, but if it is faster, I am wondering if it will cause a restriction.

I have approximately 2 inches of space directly out from the outlet on the transmission.  Here's what I have to work with:

The upper fitting is the adapter that screws into the transmission.  The first one on the left, combined with the adapter is about 1 and 7/8" total length.   The next fitting is about the same at the centerline.  The last fitting is about 1 and 3/4" at the centerline, but I'll need to see how well the hose end fits, especially since I won't be able to point it straight down without getting another adapter before going into an AN hose.

So, I guess the question is, if the first one fits fine, is it safe to use?  I know the fluid probably takes a lot of sharp turns inside the transmission valve body, so I am guessing it'll be okay, but wanted to get some expert opinions, too.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/9/21 4:55 p.m.

This is an educated guess but my initial thought is that unless you've got some other marginal condition the restriction from the fittings won't be an issue at all.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/9/21 5:16 p.m.

Each 90 will add friction like a few feet of straight hose. If you're not running a zillion feet of hose it should be fine.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/9/21 5:21 p.m.

Just remembered I think I'll need to step the diameter down at my radiator, since it's set up for smaller than a 3/8" line, so maybe the sharp 90 degree turn won't be anywhere near as much of a restriction as that?

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/9/21 6:02 p.m.

Minimize all 90's. Yea the work but not effectively.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/9/21 6:04 p.m.

I don't have actual numbers to back this up, but my thinking is that there are plenty of factory coolers out there using banjo fittings, which are the absolute worst, and they still work. Your hard 90 is less restrictive than a banjo, so I'd call it fine.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/9/21 6:57 p.m.

Haven't gotten under the car to test fit anything yet, but found Earls appears to make a 90 degree adapter that is not as tight as the first one, but still has a sharper radius than the others, so would probably be a great compromise between flow and space efficiency.  It's on backorder til the end of they year, of course.  There are similar ones out there, but with the ends they have, it'll require an additional adapter.  Will just go ahead and test fit with what I have.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/21 6:58 p.m.

GM used much sharper right angle fittings than those on Grand Nationals.  You'll be fine.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/10/21 11:20 a.m.

Not related to fluid flow at all but is there a chance of hammer to trans tunnel for clearance?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/10/21 11:50 a.m.
iansane said:

Not related to fluid flow at all but is there a chance of hammer to trans tunnel for clearance?

There would have been had I anticipated this problem beforehand.  I hammered back other areas for clearance when I did my prior engine swap, but had not found anything about clearancing for the cooler lines.  With the transmission in place, there is just no room to safely hammer it back without either risking hitting and damaging the transmission, or using a punch that could risk punching through the floor.  One of those things I'll have likely deal with if the transmission ever comes out, though.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
8/11/21 9:53 a.m.

Round 1 of test fitting is done:

It's okay now, but I'd like a bit more room, just in case.  Ordering another fitting that might give me marginally more clearance, and will see.  But at least it looks like this should work if need be.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4auw3RYBO6z40DIOi62zZ00HhAcXLb3u0ggY3Avx8yAMGB2EgY3U8vhEbDKa9Y4n