1 2
spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/2/21 8:37 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I don't know how many states allow you to drive without an actual plate on the car, but I know that around here, driving an unregistered car is a misdemeanor, but slap a plate from another car on there ("misuse of plates") and it's a felony. 

I'd take my chances on a Carmax plate or something similar. And don't drive like a jerk. 

I don't know about other states, but in SC you have 30 days to get a tag.  Obviously you have to have insurance, but State Farm covers me for 30 days.   We always call them ahead of any purchaase, just to be safe.  

Florida was (and maybe still) a tough state requiring temporary tags because so many people went there to buy their cars.  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/2/21 8:38 p.m.

My worry would be getting it impounded. I'd rather spend the bailout money renting a truck and car hauler. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/21 11:44 p.m.
wake74 said:

Don't forget to leave time to get the old NC title notarized, another quirk of the NC DMV

Cody went and we took care of that, I showed up at the dmv with everything they said to bring and then was told they must have misunderstood me on the phone. Oops

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
8/3/21 6:54 a.m.
John Welsh said:
John Welsh said:
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Problem solved, thank you everyone 

I just checked the Build and Project cars forum.  Did I somehow miss the thread?  devil

I did miss the thread. Damn that's nice!

I lol'd at "Bob Costascat" in the ad.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
8/3/21 8:19 a.m.

Did you make it home?

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/3/21 8:27 a.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

We stopped for the night in Virginia. The GPS had us getting home about 4am and I wasn't that ambitious. We should be bank on the road soon. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/3/21 8:28 a.m.

Safe travels. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/3/21 8:32 a.m.

NC is frustrating.  There is no legal way to go buy a private party car out of state (out of DMV distance) and drive it home the same day.

You can certainly try to do so with no plate and with the papers.  Will it work?  90% of the time, yes.  But you are taking a chance, which is pretty annoying.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/3/21 8:51 a.m.

You can title a car online in Wisconsin and download a temp plate in about fifteen minutes.  Send in the title and paperwork later.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/3/21 8:55 a.m.
jwagner (Forum Supporter) said:

You can title a car online in Wisconsin and download a temp plate in about fifteen minutes.  Send in the title and paperwork later.

Do you need a WI license though?

You can get a temp tag in VA online & print in 5 mins, but you need to be a VA resident.  I wish all states did this.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/21 10:29 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

NC is frustrating.  There is no legal way to go buy a private party car out of state (out of DMV distance) and drive it home the same day.

You can certainly try to do so with no plate and with the papers.  Will it work?  90% of the time, yes.  But you are taking a chance, which is pretty annoying.

Yep, there doesn't seem to be a way to get a private party car out of NC and into another state. Which is crazy. I'm guessing maybe it's a volume issue. I bought a car in NY state and drove it to NC on a NY transportaion tag, but I'm betting a lot more cars leave NY than NC.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
8/3/21 11:00 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

Yep, there doesn't seem to be a way to get a private party car out of NC and into another state. 

It mostly depends on the state the purchaser is a resident of.  As stated above, if you are a resident of VA, you can get a temp tag online in a few mins, doesn't matter what state the car is coming from.  A VA resdient can easily come into NC, buy a car and legally drive it away.  A NC resident could not buy the same car and drive it away legally without going to the DMV first.

If you are a resident of NC, you are screwed though.

In Wally's case, the first step would be to see if NY has a similar solution to VA and WI.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
8/3/21 11:38 a.m.

Just move the car.  Cops are not pulling over registration only issues, due to the after affects of the COVID insanity.

You will need a bill of sale and proof of insurance on the chance that the bad thing happens.

CYA and drive it like you stole it!  :)

Wally (Forum Supporter)
8/3/21 12:02 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

It's a bit more of an issue up here, there's a number of tolls by plate number so they're pretty aggressive about stopping cars with no plates. Their answer seems to be if you can afford a car you can afford shipping 

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/3/21 6:34 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Do you need a WI license though

I assume you need a Wisconsin address to title a car there, but I never checked.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ikYexeoJMphcK2FH9gn4X5gfBhMaDzZmNDkEAJRlKXl8rao0cE9W5rJMLd4NRxlp