1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/15 5:29 p.m.

Looking for a great job in the aftermarket performance industry? Flyin' Miata is looking for a new tech. This is a position with pretty low turnover - in the last 15 years, we've hired four techs. One left after about four years due to family reasons, the others are still here.

This is not a mechanic position, but someone to deal with customers and support our products. Basically, much of what I do every day, as do Brandon and Jeremy. There will likely be some development work as well - the techs are the ones who make many of the decisions as to what we develop, what form it takes and decide when it's ready to release. We've each got our own strengths, so we each concentrate on different areas.

If you're interested, please contact Teri Cardell at teri@flyinmiata.com or 970 464 5600.

Job description follows. Flyin' Miata is based in Palisade, CO, right near Grand Junction.

Position Title: Technical Sales
Exemption Status: Exempt
Incumbent: Available

General Statement of Duties: Dispense technical advice via email and the telephone, sell/up-sell products, assist walk-in customers as appropriate.

Principal Duties
- Dispense general technical and general suspension advice via email and the telephone by answering questions, resolving problems.
- Responsible for responding to tech@flyinmiata.com emails.
- Sell and up-sell products via the phone and email, assist walk-in customers as needed, take customers on test drives and explain functions of products.
- Drive completed customer cars for the purposes of break-in, evaluation and calibration.
- Attend Miata events as appropriate, assist with pre-event preparation, setup, sales, mechanical work and tear down tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.

Education
- Bachelor degree in any field or equivalent work experience.

Experience and Training
- Must own or have owned a Mazda Miata and have performed mechanical work on the engine, transmission, drive train, suspension and brakes on own car. Must be knowledgeable in the electrical operations of the Mazda Miata. Must have installed after-market performance products on own Mazda Miata.
- Must be familiar with sales techniques; prefer several years of sales experience.

Required Skills
- Must be experienced with Windows and current Microsoft software; must have the ability to learn new computer software programs and systems; must be proficient in typing.
- Must have strong interpersonal, telephone and communication skills, both written and oral; must be customer focused.
- Must be detail oriented and have analytical and interpretive skills.
- Must have the ability to deal effectively with multiple priorities.
- Must have the ability to effectively make decisions.
- Must have excellent grammar, spelling and punctuation skills.
- Must be able to work independently and also within a team environment.
- Must be able to work flexible hours as the business dictates.

Typical Physical Demands
- Must be able to write and speak English clearly. Must be able to hear effectively for telephone communication, for taking telephone orders and messages and for sharing information with co-workers. Must be able to see the computer screen and to identify appropriate software programs. Must be able to see to verify materials printed from the computer, to review data, to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Must be able to lift and carry office supplies up to 25 lbs. as needed for the day-to-day operations of the office. Must have the mobility of reaching, bending and twisting to perform tasks in an office environment. Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching.

Typical Mental Demands
- Must understand implicit instructions and react favorably in all work situations. Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people. Is frequently called upon to handle difficult situations. Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner. Must be able to resolve problems, handle conflict and make effective decisions under pressure. Must be able to make effective decisions in manager’s absence.

Other Requirements
- Must have a valid driver’s license and have own transportation that may be used in completing the work duties.

Working Conditions
- May be required to work extra hours. Works in a typical office setting.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
7/20/15 5:52 p.m.

If only I had a clue... sigh

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
7/20/15 6:09 p.m.

These jobs always open up at the wrong time!

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/15 6:29 p.m.
Flyin' Miata wants to hire you

I bet they don't.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/20/15 6:34 p.m.

Wow, I'm actually slightly qualified for that and have been thinking about moving out west in the future.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
7/20/15 6:48 p.m.

Perfect for me except the whole knowing your way around a Miata.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
7/20/15 7:23 p.m.

Mumpkin?

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
7/20/15 7:29 p.m.

No Miata ever, no BS, too far west. No problem right?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/15 7:35 p.m.

Evan, do it.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
7/20/15 7:42 p.m.

You are singing my song! Too bad I can't move back to the states.

Maybe you want to open a Canadian division?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/20/15 7:45 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: Evan, do it.

I will be submitting my resume tomorrow. My Miata hasn't moved in a few months but it may be revived for a return to rallycross nationals this year so I still count as a Miata guy right?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
7/20/15 7:49 p.m.

Not in a position to uproot and move, but am otherwise qualified. Maybe next time there's turnover..

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/20/15 8:01 p.m.

Having met Evan and having met Keith; this could be a good combination.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/20/15 8:44 p.m.

No miata experience.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/20/15 9:13 p.m.

deep personal confession - i hate miatas.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/15 9:34 p.m.

Then I would recommend you rethink your application.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/20/15 9:53 p.m.

I just successfully damn near built a Miata ground up in 3 days on my gravel driveway.

When do i start?

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
7/20/15 10:02 p.m.

If skiiing is included l could adjust my life plan,

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
7/20/15 10:13 p.m.

I wanted to submit my resume last time you were hiring Keith. I don't think the starts are aligning this time though, crap. I'm a good fit too. Dangit!!

Type Q
Type Q Dork
7/20/15 10:59 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: I wanted to submit my resume last time you were hiring Keith. I don't think the starts are aligning this time though, crap. I'm a good fit too. Dangit!!

Do it anyway!

I am pretty good fit too and it is tempting. I suspect I would be missing the Bay Area in fairly short order. My wife has also worked hard to establish her career here in California. She will not have the same opportunities in Colorado.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
7/20/15 11:10 p.m.

Hmm, I have a Miata that I've bolted lots of FM go fast bits to, educated, able to communicate at least passably well in English.

Unfortunately I'm stuck near my kids and tenured in my job already. Maybe FM wants to start up some satellite offices for part timers in the Midwest??

jsymonds
jsymonds Reader
7/21/15 12:00 a.m.

That sounds like fun.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
7/21/15 1:57 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: Not in a position to uproot and move, but am otherwise qualified. Maybe next time there's turnover..

Same, though I could use more wrenching experience as it's been a minute since I've worked on cars and Miatas. Great excuse to get a new Miata though... For next time...

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
7/21/15 6:31 a.m.
Type Q wrote:
DrBoost wrote: I wanted to submit my resume last time you were hiring Keith. I don't think the starts are aligning this time though, crap. I'm a good fit too. Dangit!!
Do it anyway! I am pretty good fit too and it is tempting. I suspect I would be missing the Bay Area in fairly short order. My wife has also worked hard to establish her career here in California. She will not have the same opportunities in Colorado.

I'm thinking about it. I don't know if I could relocate unless I walk away from my house and I dont want to do that. I meed to do some further investigating.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
7/21/15 6:38 a.m.

Sounds like a dream job for a GRMer. Good luck to all who apply.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
35PR5UONztHn9wNxuMGS34iYm6KQxFUJ7m8kapN33jQ9A2MRlqGWiaXatuOorXqm