1 2 3
darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/14/12 10:52 a.m.

Just thought I'd share my excitement.

I've been following the development and release of the 2013 Focus ST pretty enthusiastically and finally pre-ordered one earlier this month when it became possible to do so. We ordered it in Oxford White with the ST3 package.

But what's really exciting is that I'll be attending an awesome TV commercial shoot/launch event for the ST (starring Tanner Foust and Greg Tracey) in Key West this week as a guest of Ford. My proactive and enthusiastic interactions on the official Ford ST facebook page and other enthusiast boards seems to have gotten me noticed, and I'm totally psyched to be invited and to be able to go. I'll be there as a "content contributor" and will be posting stuff to facebook and other places (like here) about it as I can. Ford is really trying to reach out to the right folks.

BTW, if you're interested in attending on your own, you can check out the info here: http://social.ford.com/our-articles/cars/focussedan/play-your-part-in-the-2013-focus-st-tv-commercial/

BTW-BTW... Some of you will recall that I started a thread looking for a new, fun, fuel efficient, daily driver (http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/what-car-and-its-gotta-be-new/40058/page1/). I ended up just liking the ST more and more as I paid attention to it, and I've been a Ford guy (not exclusively, but I'm a fan) forever, and I just couldn't bring myself to get enthused about any of the cars in that thread that actually met our needs, so the budget and mpg requirements became points of compromise and we went for the ST.

Just wanted to share... now I just wish they'd tell me the production and delivery dates so I can plan my first auto-x date with it. ;)

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/14/12 10:53 a.m.

Is anyone from GRM gonna be there? I'd be glad to meet you.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/14/12 10:55 a.m.

One other thing... couldn't resist photochopping in anticipation of exterior mods. Whatcha'll think?

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
5/14/12 10:58 a.m.

Love it - congrats!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork

Oh gawd, Tanner us going to find a way to berkeley it up.

Congrats. Looks super sweet. I'd love to play with one, but thats not in the budget.

scardeal
scardeal Dork

You could've just snapped into a Slim Jim.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/14/12 11:06 a.m.

you need to show up there with the rims in the trunk

MA$$hole
MA$$hole Reader
5/14/12 11:16 a.m.

If I were to ever purchase one the very first place I would go would be the nearest body shop to take care of those hideous tail lamps. I just don't see the need for them to almost touch the rear doors.

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/14/12 11:28 a.m.
darkbuddha wrote: One other thing... couldn't resist photochopping in anticipation of exterior mods. Whatcha'll think?

THAT explains the car I saw this morning. Thought it was one of those, but it was the first one I've seen without coverings.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
5/14/12 11:31 a.m.
darkbuddha wrote: One other thing... couldn't resist photochopping in anticipation of exterior mods. Whatcha'll think?

That is sex.

Too bad the ST is sooooo expensive... I'll be sticking with a Abarth

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
5/14/12 11:39 a.m.

Sounds like a good excuse to go down to the keys, you driving from Sarasota? I would go but I have to work and that's a long drive to go down for a day.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/14/12 11:40 a.m.

What are the advantages of the Focus ST over a Mazdaspeed3?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/14/12 11:43 a.m.
Javelin wrote: What are the advantages of the Focus ST over a Mazdaspeed3?

It doesn't look like the Mazdaspeed.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
5/14/12 11:48 a.m.

Very awesome!! We've been chatting on the Ford Message Boards for dealerships about the ST and begging the engineers to make an AWD version. We shall see what becomes of that...

Congrats!!!

Javelin
5/14/12 11:50 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote:

It doesn't look better, either.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/14/12 11:54 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
It doesn't look *better*, either.

Anything looks better then a Mazdaspeed.

Winston
Winston Reader
5/14/12 11:54 a.m.

Love it. The grille has a little Aston Martin in it, which is cool. Dangit, now you have me looking at 'em :)

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
5/14/12 12:09 p.m.

I'm guessing the REVO knuckle's up front that are supposed to dramatically help with torque steer? Certainly those are going on this like they do on Euro Focus.

Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
5/14/12 12:10 p.m.
darkbuddha wrote: finally pre-ordered one earlier this month when it became possible to do so. We ordered it in Oxford White with the ST3 package.

is there a spot to build and price these on the internet? I was curious as to the pricing.

Javelin
5/14/12 12:12 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
I'm guessing the REVO knuckle's up front that are supposed to dramatically help with torque steer? Certainly those are going on this like they do on Euro Focus.

No real LSD though, it uses the electronics to brake the inside wheel. Whereas the MS3 has an actual LSD and no electronic nannies.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/14/12 12:12 p.m.

Difference between this and the MS3 are yet to be determined, but it uses a different motor, different suspension, different technology assists, and SVT developed the ST, which means it's got SVT's balanced quality I suspect. Oh and the IC is front mounted, not a top-mounted heatsink. Otherwise I think they're going to be good market competitors, along with the 4 door GTI, and the other usual suspects.

Javelin
5/14/12 12:13 p.m.
Pete240Z wrote:
darkbuddha wrote: finally pre-ordered one earlier this month when it became possible to do so. We ordered it in Oxford White with the ST3 package.
is there a spot to build and price these on the internet? I was curious as to the pricing.

http://bp3.ford.com/2013-Ford-Focus-ST#/Models

Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
5/14/12 12:14 p.m.

yeah, I just found the site.

http://bp3.ford.com/2013-Ford-Focus-ST#/Models/

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/14/12 12:18 p.m.

Thanks all. I really am pretty psyched about the car. I've got the XR and Mach 1 to play with, so this will be the reliable daily driver/fun car substitute when the XR is being built/reconfigured/upgraded/fixed. Hauling the kids around in the '70 Mach 1 just isn't practical unfortunately.

In reply to HiTempguy: My kids would barely fit in the Abarth now, and sure as hell won't in another year or two. I needed a real back seat. It's a compromise, but a worthwhile one.

In reply to z31maniac: No REVO knuckle on this one... but they have tweaked it somehow and they say they're able to do the manage torque steer with electronics now. I say I want an LSD and a bit more power.

In reply to Pete240Z: You can build and price on Ford's website: http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/focusst/

Javelin
5/14/12 12:31 p.m.

In reply to darkbuddha:

That's what I was afraid of. So it has a plain MacStrut front with the computer constantly applying your brakes?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TBqUfPOU5bNfHB1wOH2Oe0SJZpy3rtfODKKJCh9Dy3SYkyIjsFeteQAL9nYLnars